#1 GlutenFreeStudent

GlutenFreeStudent

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 12:02 AM

Hello!
I just signed up for this forum. I'm 24, and I'm from California. I've had Celiac disease I'd estimate for at least 10 years, maybe longer. I just got my correct diagnosis a few months ago and I've been sick all those years. I would like to meet other Celiac people online for support and friendship. :)

The list of things I can't eat is pretty long: No gluten, dairy, white potatoes, tomatoes, rice, apples, vinegar, peppers, coffee, and all vegetables have to be pureed into tiny liquified bits. That pretty much leaves meat, fish, sweet potatoes, nuts, seeds, dried fruit, honey, and corn... and my lovely gruel from the blender, made with mixed green veggies and a half of banana. :lol: All my food has to be made fresh, which takes a lot of time, and I have to carry it around with me when I go out, which makes me look like a geek! :P

I am curious to find out how other people my age live with this disease. My friends constantly eat junk food and eat out and go to coffee shops and bars and drink. All alcohol makes me sick, and there's not a single carbohydrate restaurants serve that I can eat. I don't like to draw attention to myself in a group. Once people find out about Celiac disease, they make a really big deal about it and say things like "I could never live on a diet like that, hahaha" or "You poor thing, how tragic" and stuff like that. It just makes me angry/sad and I feel like I should try to keep it a secret when possible. People can be mean when they insist that I choose to be picky about my food and that I just have a picky personality.

I have been extremely weak since about January. I have been mostly gluten and dairy free since March, but I continued to eat oats up until last week. Big mistake, I found out! :blink: I've spent most of this year on bed rest. I'm not getting stronger fast enough for my taste, and I'm really frustrated about that. I just got some gluten free vitamins, so I'm praying that will help. I'm sure that this forum is full of good advice, and I look forward to meeting some new people... :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shimma

shimma

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 02:17 AM

Hi, welcome to the board. I think you'll find that it's a great support network for celiacs and others with gluten intolerance.

I'm 27 and I was diagnosed with celiac disease just over two years ago. I've had symptoms on and off since high school, and actually I'm still struggling a bit to determine what I can and can't eat. Like you, I'm cutting out rice, potatoes, and a whole host of other stuff. Eating out is nearly impossible - my friends and coworkers are getting used to seeing me just NOT eat when I'm out with them - I try to eat before or after so I don't risk anything bad. If I do eat out, it's a salad (yay....plain lettuce, no dressing, minimal toppings). Of course, this still singles me out, but there's not much I can do about that.

All those things you mentioned that you can't eat - did you determine that by allergy testing? From what I know about food allergies, it is common for newly diagnosed celiacs to test postive for a lot of things, and be able to eventually reintroduce those foods when their guts heal. How long have you been on the diet?

#3 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 04:16 AM

Welcome to the board! If you are looking for info and support, this board is definitely great.

#4 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 05:33 AM

I don't like to draw attention to myself in a group. Once people find out about Celiac disease, they make a really big deal about it and say things like "I could never live on a diet like that, hahaha" or "You poor thing, how tragic" and stuff like that. It just makes me angry/sad and I feel like I should try to keep it a secret when possible. People can be mean when they insist that I choose to be picky about my food and that I just have a picky personality.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not in my 20s, so I'll keep this short, but I just wanted to say two things: the first is that, even if you look like a geek or people laugh about it, the silver lining to this is that you're going to be much healthier than the boozers and junk food eaters in the long run.

My main point is that I completely identify with what you said above. I'm only 14, but I feel the same way about all of that...I try to lowkey it around non-yaks because people react in such stupid ways like that: "I'd rather die than go on that diet," "What happens if you eat it?," "So can you eat pizza? Bread? Pasta? Anything?," "So you're allergic to life," "I'll pay you $20 to eat this crumb."

As a result, I keep it a secret from some people who don't need to know and I low key it around peers who will eventually ask why I'm eating diff stuff, anyway.

-celiac3270

#5 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 05:34 AM

Welcome! I'm also 24 and found out that I had celiac when I was 22.

Once people find out about Celiac disease, they make a really big deal about it and say things like "I could never live on a diet like that, hahaha" or "You poor thing, how tragic" and stuff like that. It just makes me angry/sad and I feel like I should try to keep it a secret when possible. People can be mean when they insist that I choose to be picky about my food and that I just have a picky personality.

I know what you mean, some people do make a big deal about it and others don't understand why I am being so picky and paranoid.
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#6 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 06:57 AM

I wish........ lol! :P

Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#7 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 07:11 AM

the first is that, even if you look like a geek or people laugh about it, the silver lining to this is that you're going to be much healthier than the boozers and junk food eaters in the long run.

Nice celiac3270--we are going to be better off than the boozers! :lol: Ha ha...

GFStudent- Welcome to the boards! I am 27, and believe I have had the disease for years and years as well. Individuals such as us who have had the disease for years and those of us who've not been diagnosed as kids, have to be more patient with our recovery. I have been gluten-free since February and although I do have improvement in some areas, I am still as tired and achey as before. For some it takes a year to really feel great again. There are other options too for those who don't feel they've gained complete recovery on the gluten-free diet--such as the SCD diet (Specific Carbohydrate Diet). It is a more restrictive diet, but in some ways similar to what you are choosing right now. There is a thread here for those on the diet--called SCD Support Group.

There are a lot of us this age with Celiac. Unfortunately some of those individuals don't know they have it yet !! Good luck and see you around the board!
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#8 Jen H

Jen H

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 08:21 AM

Hi GFstudent,

I'm 28 and just found out I have celiac disease about 3 weeks ago. I have been sick for the past year and am happy to finally know what is going on with my body. I am just starting to deal with the "stigmatism" of having celiac disease. My friends and husband have been very supportive and have even talked to other people who have celiac disease, just to educate themselves. Some of my friends have asked restaurants about gluten free options, just so I can go out to eat with them.
However, other people don't seem to get it at all. I had one restaurant server tell me "I can't believe you're putting yourself through this diet. I don't see why you would want to do that." Like I have an option...and that's after I sent my meal back to the kitchen 3 times. Some people just don't get it.
I was looking through some of the topics last night and there was something about a support meeting in California. I think it's in the LA area. I'm not sure where you live, but it might be something to check out.

celiac3270, you are funny. "I'll give you 20 bucks to eat this crumb". I can't stop laughing about that one.
:) Jen

#9 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 08:24 AM

"I'll pay you $20 to eat this crumb."

People actually say that to you? :o
Carrie Faith

#10 elonwy

elonwy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 09:37 AM

I'm 27, in SoCal and found out last month that I have celiac disease. We're meeting up on the 3rd ( like 5 of us) if you're down in the area. There are also a few people on here from NoCal too.
If my friends can't deal with my needs they can bite me. The cool thing about being in Cali is that there are so many weirdo's here ( including myself :D) that not that many people seem to notice. I think LA and SanFran specifically are easier cities to deal with this stuff in public.
I would collect snappy comebacks and whip em out at people.
Of course I grew up in Hawaii, where I was one of 4 white kids in my grade and spoke with an irish accent and was tiny and a brain, so I've been dealing with being wierd my whole life, so I find it pretty easy, lol.
Shrug em off, don't make a big deal ot of it, after a while they won't either, and know that you're special and precious and appreciate life so much more that they ever could, having had to fight for it.
K, I'm done.
Elonwy
Positive Bloodwork 7/8/05
Inconclusive Biopsy 7/20/05
gluten-free since 7/23/05
Never felt better.

"So here's us, on the raggedy edge, come a day when there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. - Malcolm Reynolds"

#11 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 11:24 AM

People actually say that to you?  :o

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I got that from one person...repeatedly.

#12 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 12:36 PM

I am 20 and live in Georgia. You'll find lots of support here.

#13 Guest_imsohungry_*

Guest_imsohungry_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2005 - 01:16 PM

Hi. Welcome! :) I'm in my late 20's and also a student. Best of luck to you! You will find a lot of support and wonderful people here. B)

#14 laurelfla

laurelfla

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 01:23 PM

Hi! Welcome!
i'm 24 and i just found out that i have celiac disease about 3 weeks ago. right now i am feeling like i stick out among friends... i am not drinking alchol right now for a while until i can get all the gluten sources in my life figured out, and i'm also not going to eat out for at least a month, having had a couple of bad experiences here lately...
so, as soon as i get my first paycheck of the semester (next Fri!) i am going to focus on getting my friends together to do non food-focused activities, like bowling, going to the movies, checking out the museums on campus i've never been to, etc. i find that when the focus of the hanging out is not food, i feel better and i don't have to do as much explaining.
and now... i have to get back to cleansing my kitchen!
take care!
Laurel :)
diagnosed 8/05 through positive bloodwork & biopsy
gluten-free since then!

"Those who are willing to be vulnerable move among mysteries." Theodore Roethke

#15 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 01:42 PM

Yeah, I got that from one person...repeatedly.

That's awful, people can be so mean sometimes <_<
Carrie Faith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: