35 replies to this topic

#16 CaliGirl

CaliGirl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 02:19 PM

I'm in my twenties, too. I think people our age are more open to the idea of food causing illness, compared to my grandparents' generation. I think it's because there's more awareness now that not everything can be solved with a "suck it up, get over it, and move on" --type attitude. You know, the mentality that says, "if I don't see gushing blood, you're just fine." Has anyone else noticed this? In my experience, when I tell someone 30 years older than me what celiac disease is, I'm much more likely to get a skeptical reaction than if I tell someone my own age.

Just conjecture here.

Rachel

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 elonwy

elonwy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 05:26 PM

The two rudest reactions I had were from people over 40. I'm from a family that was very much about suck it up and deal, and I'm that way more so than my friends because of it, but I do think that as medicine has progressed and gotten less like voodoo, its much more acceptable to be sick and to have special needs of any kind. Some people progress, and some don't.
Elonwy
Positive Bloodwork 7/8/05
Inconclusive Biopsy 7/20/05
gluten-free since 7/23/05
Never felt better.

"So here's us, on the raggedy edge, come a day when there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. - Malcolm Reynolds"

#18 Merika

Merika

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 05:54 PM

Hi!

I'm twenty-.....oh, wait, no I'm 32 :o I forgot :) But I did have undiagnosed celiac all through my twenties (from 19-31), and had restrictive diets during that time, and also was on near bed-rest for a while at first. It was really really hard.

Welcome, and ask lots of questions here :) Are you in LA? We're having a meet soon.

Merika

#19 LqrMan

LqrMan

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 06:12 PM

Hey fellow 20+ yr olds! I am 23 and trying to stay young for a while.

I don't know about the other celiacs out there, but when I hear that others are not only gluten limited, but rice, potato, etc, it really puts my gluten intolerance in perspective. It is so easy to get caught up in this disease and feel bad for yourself (I felt this way after being diagnosed 6 yrs ago), but now I just think about it and say it could be worse! Many others have it worse than we do unfortunately.

To the newly diagnosed celiacs, you are going to get a lot of clueless people asking you dumb questions and others making you feel bad about your illness. However, you really can't let them get to you! Eventually your friends will get used to you carrying food around with you (I never leave home without my cooler-haha) and you will just phase out the negative comments. Do not forget, this is what you need to do for your health! I found that controlling my celiac has been empowering because it made me a stronger person in the process.
Rob
27yrs old
Astoria, NY
Gluten-free since May 1999-- My 10 yr anniversary is coming up!
Lactose Intolerant since March 2006

#20 GlutenFreeStudent

GlutenFreeStudent

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 11:02 PM

Thanks to everyone who replied! I feel better just knowing I'm not alone in this. :) I will probably check out the board at night for the most part, when I'm done with homework and need to be entertained. I hate TV, I would much rather be learning something or chatting with someone. :P

I get bad reactions to potatoes and rice. My stomach hurts for 5 days after eating them. I've gone through a trial and error process, figuring out which foods in addition to gluten make me sick. I am thankful that I have a couple safe complex carbs, like yams and corn. My doctor has advised that I stick to the diet I'm on for about a year (until next March) and maybe then I can re-consider adding potatoes or rice. My body is badly damaged and I'm best suited to soft, easy to digest foods, like steamed fish and baby food.

I'm hoping to graduate from baby food to pureed "real" vegetables with the cellulose coverings. Fresh corn and peas have a lot more nutrients than jars that have been on the shelf for 3 months, not to mention they taste a lot better! I have to increase my fiber gradually because things just sit in my stomach and ferment when they aren't being digested.

I would love to meet up with you guys, but I live near San Diego and I'm having a pretty hard time with going out (for the time being). I've been hospitalized this year and been on bed rest. My first step back into the real world is my college courses 3 days a week. Doing that one activity 3 days a week is just about all I can handle for now. *sigh* Hopefully I will get stronger again.

The .gif in my avatar picture is supposed to be transparent and have "moving" sparklies. I don't know what happened there, but at least I got the file uploaded. :lol:

#21 misskris

misskris

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 10:41 AM

I'm 23 and from GA - I don't check this board a lot, so I'm a little late replying. I just wanted you to know that it does get easier. I found out about Celiac when I was about halfway thru college. It was hard at first b/c of all the fatigue and brain fog. I had to totally destress my life - which meant giving up my editor position with our college newspaper and cutting back on classes.

I could hardly eat anything at first that wouldn't make me sick - not even brown rice, which is what I was told to eat since *nearly* everyone can tolerate that. Not me. So I stayed sick for awhile even after going gluten-free. I did find out that I also had a candida problem that was making me feel even worse. So I got that under control, started taking vitamins and started doing VERY MINIMAL exercise. It's gradually gotten better. I can eat anything now - except gluten of course! :P

Hopefully the same will happen for you. Adding fiber is an excellent thing to do. When I started taking a multi-vitamin everyday, I also started taking psyllium husk 3 times a day. The fiber has majorly helped with the bloating and constipation I used to have.

Another thing I did was to avoid all the packaged gluten-free foods out there. They are great once your body starts healing, but at first it was too much for me to handle. I stayed on a diet of meats and veggies for over a year. I've just gotten into all the baking and the pastas.

So good luck - and you're not alone. Ask lotsa questions. The people around here are great.
Kris

#22 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 09:16 PM

Hello!
I just signed up for this forum. I'm 24, and I'm from California. I've had Celiac disease I'd estimate for at least 10 years, maybe longer. I just got my correct diagnosis a few months ago and I've been sick all those years. I would like to meet other Celiac people online for support and friendship.  :)

The list of things I can't eat is pretty long: No gluten, dairy, white potatoes, tomatoes, rice, apples, vinegar, peppers, coffee, and all vegetables have to be pureed into tiny liquified bits. That pretty much leaves meat, fish, sweet potatoes, nuts, seeds, dried fruit, honey, and corn... and my lovely gruel from the blender, made with mixed green veggies and a half of banana.  :lol: All my food has to be made fresh, which takes a lot of time, and I have to carry it around with me when I go out, which makes me look like a geek!  :P

I am curious to find out how other people my age live with this disease. My friends constantly eat junk food and eat out and go to coffee shops and bars and drink. All alcohol makes me sick, and there's not a single carbohydrate restaurants serve that I can eat. I don't like to draw attention to myself in a group. Once people find out about Celiac disease, they make a really big deal about it and say things like "I could never live on a diet like that, hahaha" or "You poor thing, how tragic" and stuff like that. It just makes me angry/sad and I feel like I should try to keep it a secret when possible. People can be mean when they insist that I choose to be picky about my food and that I just have a picky personality.

I have been extremely weak since about January. I have been mostly gluten and dairy free since March, but I continued to eat oats up until last week. Big mistake, I found out!  :blink: I've spent most of this year on bed rest. I'm not getting stronger fast enough for my taste, and I'm really frustrated about that. I just got some gluten free vitamins, so I'm praying that will help. I'm sure that this forum is full of good advice, and I look forward to meeting some new people...  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welcome!

I'm 26, and have been gluten-free for two years and CF for one, also from California. It hasn't been too hard, but my friends are all pretty understanding of it and even sorta protective of me. :-) It just takes time... I still have bits I struggle with, depending on how stressful stuff's been in my life.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#23 Lauren M

Lauren M

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 08:32 AM

Me, me! I'm 23 and pretty new to the forum as well. I was diagnosed almost 2 years ago with celiac disease but I've learned a lot from the people here :)

I am a student also (grad student) and it is extremely difficult when friends want to go out for pizza and I'm stuck snacking on a protein bar that I brought along. I hate drawing attention to it as well, and most of my friends know this and try to steer the conversation away from it if that's where things are heading.

Welcome and feel free to e-mail me anytime, even if you just want to vent! I've found the Celiacs I've met through support groups and other functions to be the nicest people and so genuinely willing to help out in any way with advice and even just a shoulder to lean on. I don't think I could have gotten through my first few months after my diagnosis if it wasn't for my local support group. Now it's my turn to pay it forward!

- Lauren

#24 GFManiac

GFManiac

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 08:29 PM

"I'll pay you $20 to eat this crumb."

That is hilarious!

I was diagnosed shortly after my 30th birthday this year. It was really a blessing in disguise. I was expecting my 30s to be sort of the beginning of the end, so to speak. But now I feel healthier and happier than I ever have in my live as a result of this diet. I have fewer wrinkles, healthier hair, better posture, flatter stomach (no more bloated stomach, yay!!), more energy, sleep better, less 'emotional' etc, etc, etc... Once you start feeling better, you realize that the diet is a small price to pay for your health, happiness, and even vanity. Yes, eating out, traveling, get-togethers, etc suck if you aren't prepared food-wise, but there are far worse diagnoses to get. Can you say cancer? At least with Celiac, things should get better, not worse in time....

#25 uclangel422

uclangel422

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 06:42 AM

I am also in my 20's. I am 24 and from CA.

Every social situation I am in revolves around food it seems. From potlucks at friends houses to restaurants. A lot of movies too, but that doesnt have to be around food. I have learned to use the word "plain" a lot.

I am lucky i guess that i have a friend who is low carb, so she usually trys to go to places who will accomodate that, and usually that means i can eat too. Although sometimes she complains about being low carb and how hard it is, which always makes me want to scream.

I would rather be gluten-free than the other situation when i used to cancel going places with my friends because i was afraid that i would get really sick in front of them.

#26 LRgirl

LRgirl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 07:05 AM

Hi,

I'm 26 and from Maryland. It has been hard adjusting to my gluten intolerance as well as other allergies. You'll find this to be a very helpful and supportive board.

Traci

#27 Guest_zipy_*

Guest_zipy_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2005 - 07:23 AM

Hi there! I'm 25 and was dxed about 1 month ago. I'm a grad. student at ASU and it's hard to be gluten-free. All the parties, socials, gatherings...free pizza by the Greek rush ....it's not much fun to be on the outside of all the "fun" and normal stuff. I was thinking about seeing if there is gluten-free student support group on campus, or maybe looking in to starting one? I mean, what do students stuck in the dorms eat when they buy a meal plan? Hang in there...I'm making all my own foods from scratch and it is a pain and does take a lot of time...but they taste good! I chewed my husband out the other day for eating my home-made gluten-free granola bars when we have a pantry full of the store bought ones...he said he liked mine better! Lol!

#28 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 10:17 AM

It's nice to know that there are others out there that are young and living gluten free (or trying the best we can!). I've never met anyone with celiac disease so it makes me feel better to know that there are others like me :)

#29 VegasCeliacBuckeye

VegasCeliacBuckeye

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 02:08 PM

I just turned 30 a few months ago (ok, 7 seven months ago).

I have been diagnosed since 1997.

The first couple of years were difficult, but they got easier.

You should always be reading about celiac disease and always be reading about food. I have plenty of cookbooks and food-educational sources at home. The more knowledge the better.

This site is great, better than any Doctor I have ever seen. Welcome!

#30 GlutenFreePT

GlutenFreePT

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 03:52 PM

Hey everyone, my name is Ken and I'm 24 years old. I was diagnosed in October, and had been getting sick for about 5 years previously. I'm new to all this posting stuff, but I wanted to hear from more people my age that have this disease. GFSTUDENT, if you allow your body some time to heal; there's a good chance that you will be able to tolerate more foods in the future. Eating a very restrictive diet for a limited time is a small price to pay if it buys you years of health in the future. As someone else posted (I forget who), dealing with eating out with friends is a difficult situation for me. My friends will laugh when I bring my cooler of food on the golf course, as they're all toating their coolers of beer, but oh well. A quick note to everyone.. I recently returned from Disney World, which was the first vacation I have taken since being on the diet, and I would definitely recommend it to anyone. As long as you make all the reservations with advance notice and alert them to your restrictions, they were more than accomodating. Each head chef came over to talk to me, which made the trip a lot less stressful for me (and therefore my girlfriend). I'm living outside of Philly, so anyone in the area email me or post back... i haven't met anyone aside from 50 year olds with this, so it will be nice to talk to someone more my age.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: