35 replies to this topic

#31 emeraldskies

emeraldskies

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 01:27 AM

I'm 27 and was diagnosed with celiac disease slightly over a year ago, but I've had signs of it since infancy.

I'm in my twenties, too. I think people our age are more open to the idea of food causing illness, compared to my grandparents' generation. I think it's because there's more awareness now that not everything can be solved with a "suck it up, get over it, and move on" --type attitude. You know, the mentality that says, "if I don't see gushing blood, you're just fine." Has anyone else noticed this? In my experience, when I tell someone 30 years older than me what celiac disease is, I'm much more likely to get a skeptical reaction than if I tell someone my own age.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, I've had a similar reaction even though I had most of the same health issues (and more) as the middle aged people I'd encounter. I was also told, "You're young; you'll bounce back from anything" repeatedly pre-diagnosis. I still haven't bounced back.
emeraldskies

Diagnosed through EnteroLab in 2004 - malabsorption, antigliadin and antitissue transglutaminase IgA antibodies to gluten, and anti-casein IgA antibodies
HLA-DQ 2,1 (Subtype 2,6)
Gluten and casein free since diagnosis
Autoimmune thyroiditis
Hypocortisolism
Deficient levels of estradiol, estrone, pregnenolone, and testosterone
Low cholesterol (current levels: HDL-39, LDL-58, total-109, triglycerides-59)
Osteoporosis
Atrophic glossitis
Osteomalacia
Ataxia (gait and limb)

"All truth passes through three stages: first it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third it is accepted as self-evident."
- Arthur Schopenhauer

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 Lauren M

Lauren M

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 04:41 AM

I'm living outside of Philly, so anyone in the area email me or post back

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Ken - I'm in grad school at Drexel!

Do you ever visit Mr. Ritts in Philly?

- Lauren

#33 GlutenFreePT

GlutenFreePT

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 11:06 AM

Hey Ken - I'm in grad school at Drexel!

Do you ever visit Mr. Ritts in Philly?

- Lauren

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Lauren - I've been to Mr. Ritts a couple of times. Their jewish apple cake is ridiculously good. what are you going to school for? i graduated from jefferson last year.

ken

#34 Lauren M

Lauren M

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 11:51 AM

Ken,

I'm getting my masters in Publication Management. I have my bachelors in Rhetoric & Communications. For one of my grad classes last year, I "created" a magazine entirely about Celiac disease and the gluten-free diet :P

I think EVERYTHING at Mr. Ritts is ridiculously good! I'll have to try the apple cake next time. I got my birthday cake from them last year (my only request was that it had to have chocolate and it had to have peanut butter) and they came up with something that was to die for :D

It's cool to find out about others my age with celiac disease! And you're all so nice!

- Lauren

#35 frenchiemama

frenchiemama

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 01:28 PM

I'm in my (late) 20's as well, but I have to say that I haven't had too much trouble with people regarding celiac disease overall. My husband's family have really been the only ones to have a strange reaction ("can't she just take some benadryl?").

Carolyn

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. "
- Hunter S. Thompson

#36 jkmunchkin

jkmunchkin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 05:06 PM

Welcome! I'm 27 (will be 28 in just over a week). I just found out a couple months ago that I have celiacs, but have most likely had it for nearly 10 years. Atleast now I know why I was always sick.
Jillian

Positive Blood test and Biopsy
Inflamed stomach lining
Gluten free since July 6, 2005
Tarrytown, NY

"Sometimes being a b$tch is all a woman has to hold onto." - Dolores Claiborne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: