25 replies to this topic

#1 color_me_confused

color_me_confused

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:18 PM

Agh. I got glutened last Friday by a restaurant. I had thought I was doing better, but I think I slipped up at work and re-glutened myself by accidental cross contamination of my lunch in the company microwave. The timing for this afternoon's new round of reflux and stomach pain would fit that scenario. Now my stomach is swollen and blah I feel like crap. Except for the ravenous hunger pangs that have set in.

The bloating, gas, and massive appetite had vanished once I went gluten free about a year ago. I think I had forgotten how miserable I felt back then!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 yolo

yolo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:24 PM

Agh. I got glutened last Friday by a restaurant. I had thought I was doing better, but I think I slipped up at work and re-glutened myself by accidental cross contamination of my lunch in the company microwave. The timing for this afternoon's new round of reflux and stomach pain would fit that scenario. Now my stomach is swollen and blah I feel like crap. Except for the ravenous hunger pangs that have set in.

The bloating, gas, and massive appetite had vanished once I went gluten free about a year ago. I think I had forgotten how miserable I felt back then!

Sorry to hear you are feeling so miserable. Both my bf and I are sensitive to microwaves used by others for their gluteny items.

I have found sometimes a homeopathic will help. They have several varieties for bloating and stomach pain. If you can handle the aspirin and mint, Pepto Bismol can provide relief.

My home made sauerkraut seems to help too, as does home made plain yogurt. Also eating blended veggies helps, like blended combo of parsley, celery and lettuce.

Good luck! Am betting you will be feeling better soon.
Diagnosed celiac sprue as infant: failure to thrive & pneumonia-back on grains age 4. Began herbs 1971 combating chronic kidney disease/general ill health 1973. Avoid wheat family and "allergens" by 1980. Late 80's doc. diagnosed candida: cave-man diet. Diagnosed degraded myelin sheath 2006; need co-enzyme B vitamins. Discovered celiac fall 2007; finally told diagnosis as infant. Recently found I am salicylic acid intolerant. Ironically can't tolerate most herbs now. Can now eat brown rice & other gluten-free grains (except corn) & even maple syrup & now homeopathic medicine works! Am still exploring the shape of this elephant but I've made progress!

#3 joyjoy

joyjoy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:39 AM

microwaves???? seriously? what if your food is covered?

#4 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,113 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:50 AM

Unless someone's gluteny pizza exploded and is falling off the "ceiling" in the microwave, this is not a concern for most Celiacs.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:18 PM

I have a habit of covering my food in the microwave...as I don't want to clean up an explosion in mine either even though it is gluten-free.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#6 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:17 PM

We have a shared kitchen so therefore our microwave is shared. I keep it wiped down but I also don't ever just put my daughters food on the glass turntable-thingy. It's always on a plate or paper plate. We haven't had any problems in this area.
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#7 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:23 PM

If you cover your food, it probably is not the microwave, hon. It is probably the glutening you mention still causing you grief.

I just came from my check up today and told my GI doc about my glutening in Dec. and how it caused me problems for weeks. :blink: I said, then I seemed to have a problem with more foods, I had really bad bowel stuff, head fog, blah blah blah.

and he said "I hate to say this, but the inflammatory process from a gluten hit can last a long time. It will subside, but it does not mean you suddenly have other intolerances or that you are being glutened again. It's just the inflammatory process taking it's time to die down."

I said "well I feel better today, so it took 8 weeks!?" He said "yup". I said "why so long?" He said "Just because you're special. :lol: No really, there is no answer. It's just how YOUR body responds. Sorry."

My guess is....you're still feeling the ramifications for whatever "got you" last Friday. Lots of water-- and it will pass.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#8 yolo

yolo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:01 PM

Likely true about how long it sometimes takes to get better. My theory though is once glutened it makes one more sensitive for a while. That is what happens to me at any rate. I go back to square zero if it happens a lot. Eventually I build up more resistance, again. Meanwhile I just have to wade through it.

As far as microwaves go, I have gotten ill from CC from one of them from a seemingly clean microwave using my own gluten-free home made food at a motel. Of course I covered the food. I should have known better. I was sick for 5 weeks after. My bf just got weak and out of it for a day or two. He has however gotten migraines etc. from using the microwave at work. So this Fall he stopped using it and lo and behold the migraines went away unless he gets glutened from some other source.

So it just goes to show we are all different in how sensitive we are. I think for some of us who have had this condition for most of our lives (unaddressed of course!), we can more easily get set off once we do go seriously gluten free.

Bea
Diagnosed celiac sprue as infant: failure to thrive & pneumonia-back on grains age 4. Began herbs 1971 combating chronic kidney disease/general ill health 1973. Avoid wheat family and "allergens" by 1980. Late 80's doc. diagnosed candida: cave-man diet. Diagnosed degraded myelin sheath 2006; need co-enzyme B vitamins. Discovered celiac fall 2007; finally told diagnosis as infant. Recently found I am salicylic acid intolerant. Ironically can't tolerate most herbs now. Can now eat brown rice & other gluten-free grains (except corn) & even maple syrup & now homeopathic medicine works! Am still exploring the shape of this elephant but I've made progress!

#9 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:10 AM

For the newbies reading this, I'm going out on a limb and guessing that if you cover your food and the microwave it, 99.99999 percent of us will be perfectly fine. If you made your own food using anything processed, I'd say the odds are much higher any contamination came from the processed food than the microwave.

richard

#10 Blue-eyed bandit

Blue-eyed bandit

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:21 AM

I think cc is a concern for me too. I've got to share a kitchen with two men who slice and eat their bread on the tables and counters it's annoying! I feel like gluten is everywhere and it's impossible to not get the cc in the kitchen. I get very bloated and feel the reflux too with cc

#11 biancanera

biancanera

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:56 AM

I'm definitely in the minority about shared microwaves. I have the same issue at work, and I keep my food covered. I still get stomach pain for hours after microwaving my steamed veggies at work - I did a test with the same batch of veggies at home in the same conditions and there was zero problems. The next day I heated up my broccoli at work again and BAM pain! It's irritating because I have to either eat cold salad or the broccoli my stomach badly needs for lunch. I'm trying to get a work from home job because this contamination thing makes the workday 2x as hard.

#12 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:06 PM

I think cc is a concern for me too. I've got to share a kitchen with two men who slice and eat their bread on the tables and counters it's annoying! I feel like gluten is everywhere and it's impossible to not get the cc in the kitchen. I get very bloated and feel the reflux too with cc

Granted, this is a different scenario. CC in a shared kitchen would be hazardous for anyone. Obvious crumbs on shared tables and counter tops are more dangerous.

But that is not the same as using a clean microwave with covered food.

Honestly, a thoroughly clean microwave and COVERED food makes it highly unlikely that CC will occur.

Gluten CC just does not work that way.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#13 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:09 PM

I'm definitely in the minority about shared microwaves. I have the same issue at work, and I keep my food covered. I still get stomach pain for hours after microwaving my steamed veggies at work - I did a test with the same batch of veggies at home in the same conditions and there was zero problems. The next day I heated up my broccoli at work again and BAM pain! It's irritating because I have to either eat cold salad or the broccoli my stomach badly needs for lunch. I'm trying to get a work from home job because this contamination thing makes the workday 2x as hard.

I have 2 questions for you that may shed some light on this:

--just exactly how dirty is the microwave at work? :blink:

--how long have you been gluten free?

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#14 heidi g.

heidi g.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:29 PM

Maybe you touched something in the microwave and it stayed on your hands and you ingested while eating your food if you licked your fingers. Thats all i could think of on how you could get glutened by a microwave.

#15 biancanera

biancanera

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:57 AM

I have 2 questions for you that may shed some light on this:

--just exactly how dirty is the microwave at work? :blink:

--how long have you been gluten free?

It's a pigsty! Nobody who uses it and explodes food in there is grown up enough to clean it. It's so bad.

Two months now, why?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: