Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Did Anyone See The Today Show This Morning?

• Please log in to reply

22 replies to this topic

#1 Macbre

Macbre

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:30 AM

Did anyone else listen to Nancy Snyderman talk about the "gluten-free Diet" on the Today Show? She was talking about how gluten-free foods are not providing the nutrients your body needs and refered to it as the "new sexy diet craze." OMG....I don't know about anyone else, but there is NOTHING sexy about having to eat gluten-free and especially nothing sexy about what happens if someone in our cases doesn't eat gluten-free. I was fuming by the time the segment was over and I was especially disappointed when she answered a viewers question about wanting to know if the stomach pains she's had for years could be due to gluten and Nancy's response was to definitly have it checked out, but in the meantime she should start a gluten-free diet. That is horrible advise! I can't believe she didn't do more research on this topic before she started giving advise on what you should do if you think you have Celiac's.

Please tell me someone else saw this.....

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 biancanera

biancanera

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:42 AM

I didn't see it since I'm at work but that is just horrible! Seriously??!

#3 srall

srall

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:45 AM

I did not see the show. I learned early on that magazine articles and t.v. shows that addressed gluten free diets will drive you crazy.

#4 mbrookes

mbrookes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:50 AM

I did not see it, but my husband told me about it. Yhis kind of publicity is harmful to all of those of us who have to be gluten free for health reasons. I presents gluten free dieters as flighty and trendy, I get all the nutrition I need, bur it is something I have to plan for.

#5 ndw3363

ndw3363

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:58 AM

Just watched it on their website - always knew I hated that show. Why, and I mean WHY would anyone that doesn't have to be on this diet want to try it? Oh I'll lose weight cause most of the people I see that are on the diet are thin....well that's because we don't absorb any nutrients and we're SICK!!! You want to voluntarily join our club? Really?? The laziness of some people in this country astounds me. I don't want to eat healthy and exercise, so I'll just pull a new diet out of the clear blue sky...surely that will solve my problem right? I don't actually have to CONSUME a vegetable as long as I'm not eating gluten!

Sheesh! Ok, I'm done venting for now. Yes I agree that the most frustrating part of that whole segment was "while you are waiting for your doctor's appointment, go ahead and try the gluten free diet...can't hurt". Only then you are almost certainly going to get a negative test result (like I did) and doctor's won't pursue a formal diagnosis after that.

While there may be a lot of junk on the internet these days, I am so thankful for sites such as this. Nice to know we don't have to suffer alone! Happy Friday everyone! :D

#6 Kansas

Kansas

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:16 AM

Do you suppose they are really that dumb, or they know the whole health industry would change, if we didn't have all autoimmune problems and symptoms related to gluten? Might take a nickle out of their pocket!

#7 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:35 AM

People have weird ideas about the gluten-free lifestyle... I wonder if it will ever change... Maybe she & Eizabeth Hasselbeck should get together & actually learn about the gluten-free diet & why people who are ill follow this diet...media people just spout off about issues they have no clue about...just because they can.. It doesn't have to be correct...
I just tune these people out & consider the source....but then we must spend hours correcting their poor judgement ...
I feel bad for the newbies who want to believe everything they read... like cheating is okay....just because info comes from a over paid talk host doesn't qualifiy them...

#8 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:39 AM

this is not the first time this woman has butchered the facts on national tv. the first time she told people that gluten can be re-introduced after awhile. REALLY??

this interview, she began with cautioning people and warning against self-diagnosis. then a few minutes later, she gave the advice (mentioned earlier in this thread) that "while you are waiting for your doctor's appointment, you should start the gluten-free diet" - WHY??? so you can get a false negative????? so you can re-introduce gluten for your blood test and go through the pain and suffering???? SO THAT SELF-DIAGNOSIS IS YOUR ONLY OPTION?????

THANKS ALOT, STUPID.

i am always happy to see information available to the public regarding gluten-free/celiac. this woman butchers the facts and presents it as gospel.

also, instead of advising people that so much food is NATURALLY GLUTEN-FREE she suggests buying packaged gluten-free stuff. yay, nbc :(

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#9 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,801 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:46 AM

http://video.today.m...341246#46341246

I watched it and yelled NOwhen she said "go ahead and start the diet" before diagnosis.

Highly disappointing!
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#10 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:48 AM

http://today.msnbc.m...41426/#46341246

here is the link. she actually does say something about natural ingredients. (what is the deal with *fresh* eggs..... )

arlene

gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative

#11 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,801 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:57 AM

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/3041426/#46341246

(what is the deal with *fresh* eggs..... )

Maybe she was thinking spoiled eggs and rancid meat. :P Oh, we can eat seeds, too. Whew, what a relief.

Feel free to contact the Today Show with your comments. I will.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#12 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:09 AM

Oh, is "Dr." Nancy Snyderman at it again ? She's done this before. I had a write up I did before, that I didn't publish because I had smoke coming out of my ears.

I really think the woman has mental issues regarding food. There was video on MSNBC of the previous show, (probably the one poster 'notme!' has seen, it was on around Aug 24 -25, 2010 from my notes) where the ***** was asked by a woman viewer "my husband was just diagnosed with celiac, will he ever be able to eat gluten again?" and she told her "yes." This is both factually incorrect, medically incorrect, and rather cruel and bizarre.

I kept playing it over and over, thinking, OMFG. :blink:

The producer of the show received all sorts of comments from actual celiacs and true gluten intolerants about that one, so it's not like she hasn't been notified via her production team, unless she ignores them. She does not know what she is talking about, she's either nutty, past her prime and can't remember, or gets her jollies telling other women who aren't "perfect" what they should eat.

#13 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:18 AM

i did send a comment to nbc and encourage you all to do the same. yes, that is the segment i was referring to (CELIAC RE-INTRODUCING GLUTEN???!!! WHAT???!!!) the worst part is that there are people out there who are going to be mis-diagnosed and dismissed and continue to suffer needlessly. mis-information is worse than no information in this case.....

arlene

gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative

#14 angelic

angelic

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:35 AM

I always have gut pains after watching her. <_< It makes me think everything she says are half-truths or incomplete statements. I don't trust her. Something else I've noticed about powers-that-be who seem to know-it-all is that they often don't! They give you a false sense of confidence unless you know better. I see that a lot; ie, clergy, politicians, doctors, realtors, bankers, bosses! Too bad we can't vote her off the island.

National news can seem to delve into such important topics as Kim Kardashian (who has psoriasis and should look into gluten-free), but give minutes to such an important topic like gluten and our guts in our overly gluten-dairy-soy-corn food processed culture. Yes, what WAS the "fresh" eggs about?! Let's emphasize that? Weird.

Why don't they ever list obesity, constipation or no gut problems as symptoms?!

What about gluten-free/dairy-free for other autoimmune diseases, NOT just celiac?

Now I'll be getting calls from friends and relatives teaching ME about gluten ... :rolleyes:
after a lifetime of symptoms, dx gold standard celiac 1-31-06.
dairy free paleo 5-17-10 after a heart attack (should have done it day 1 after celiac dx).

#15 maximoo

maximoo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:44 AM

I just tweeted Nancy Snyderman linking this url.
I also commented on her facebook.
My small part in trying to rid the world of misinformation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: