20 replies to this topic

#16 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:26 PM

Elizabeth, how often do you eat? Do you have breakfast, lunch and dinner?

If not, digesting food when your tummy has been empty for some time, is hard on your system. :)

And you said you were in college, but be careful with drinking :rolleyes: I could be very dangerous with low body weight.

I hope you feel better soon.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:35 PM

:( brown rice noodles seem to make me nauseas, it seems like only quinoa pasta sits perfectly with me, everything else makes me feel kind of sick. I sometimes wonder if I'm developing a problem with rice? ughh

Rice is one of the most hypo-allergenic foods you can eat. It rarely causes a problem for people, but it is possible, of course.

To feel "kind of sick" from everything makes me wonder...are you being CCed somehow? Do you live with WEs (wheat eaters?)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#18 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:31 AM

Okay, so let's see if I understand this right.

Foods that work for you:

udi's pizza crust
quinoa pasta
starkist tuna
Enjoy life products
fruity pebbles
schar products
some glutino products
white rice (except this last time)
vegetables

Foods that don't work:

brown rice pasta
an olive oil
Amy's products
Food for life products
Bob's Red Mill products
Pamela's products
beans and chips tried so far

Would that be about right? If that's the case, at least you can eliminate some possibilities so you don't have to worry about investigating them.

- Fructose malabsorption is not going to be a problem or you'd be having more issues with veggies, and you do well on those.

- Corn is unlikely to be an issue. It's frequently used in the processing of white rice (which you said you do well with usually, yes?) and it is a component of the Udi's pizza crusts and many glutino products. So whatever is making you ill in the chips, it's not that, which ups the chances that there will be a corn chip you can have, somewhere, I would bet.

- artificial dyes aren't a problem or those fruity pebbles would stomp you.

- pesticides aren't a problem or the veggies wouldn't be working for you.

It's hard to see see one unifying problem with the foods that are making you ill that wouldn't automatically exclude foods that you do well with, honestly. IrishHeart's concern about gluten cc sounds like a distinct possibility, although you may also have hit the nail on the head when you said that you feel like everything you eat after you've been glutened makes you feel sick. Some folks seem have a rather lingering reaction to gluten and that's pretty much how I've heard it described, as though their stomach just hates everything for a while after they've been glutened.

My daughter has this and everything she eats for nearly a week after she's been glutened makes her stomach hurt quite a bit. Made it a real pain for us to figure out what was going on with here for a while, because everything seemed to make her feel awful, and then foods that would seem fine one day (when she wasn't glutened) would cause trouble a few days later (when she was glutened).

Also, you mention some sensitivities. Have you ever been tested for allergies at all? That might be of use, especially if there are multiple allergies going on. Extreme weight loss as you describe is one of my major symptoms for my food allergies (along with nasty brain fog).

Do you know how your vitamin levels are at the moment? Have you been tested for your vitamin levels? Can you take any supplements? Many vitamin deficiencies can cause problems with how we tolerate foods and how well we heal after getting glutened. For example, molybdenum deficiency can affect people's ability to process sulfite properly and create a temporary sulfite sensitivity until it's taken care of.

With such a limited diet that you're eating right now, if you can tolerate supplements without making things worse, it might be worth it to get a multi-vitamin. Country Life LLC makes some that are certified by the GFCO to be below 10 ppm. I'm unsure about their status with regards to dairy, eggs, or soy, however.

Can you eat any meat? You mentioned tuna but I didn't see anything else. If you could get something fatty and high calorie, that might help keep your weight up while you're looking for answers.

Also, since you can tolerate quinoa pasta, have you checked out other quinoa products? If you are eating Ancient Harvest quinoa pasta and do well with it, that company also sells whole grain quinoa and quinoa flakes, which would be another good source of calories, protein, and carbs. You can even make some homemade 'quinoa milk,' just like you would homemade rice milk, and use it to make a smoothie type of thing with whatever produce you can tolerate.

Always so frustrating when you feel miserable but don't know why, yet. Wishing you well in figuring this out!

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#19 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:43 AM

I don't know if you are considering this, but there is often a delay between eating something and symptoms.

For instance if I eat something on Monday that has cc. I will feel fine, mainly. I do notice irritability sometimes. It's the next day, Tuesday, when I feel the reaction and everything I eat will give me a stomach ache, even if it isn't any of the things with cc. With my son, it takes 2 days for a reaction. He won't feel it until Wednesday. When we looked for something we ate that day, we couldn't figure it out. It took us many months to possibly years to realize all this.

We could mainly tell because when we eliminate the thing that bothers us, we get better. It took a long time to realize which things to try to eliminate first. Then we could reintroduce the other things to find that we could eat them.

Just because something seems to give you a reaction doesn't mean that is where the reaction is coming from.

#20 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:19 AM

I don't know if you are considering this, but there is often a delay between eating something and symptoms.

Just because something seems to give you a reaction doesn't mean that is where the reaction is coming from.

I agree.

It is not always gluten CC and it is not always easy to pinpoint and it is not always sudden-onset.

This is the same for me, for many foods. Gluten is quicker--within hours, I have the neuro stuff coming on, and then, the rest of the symptoms reveal themselves for days (and days <_< after.) :rolleyes:

..but other food intolerances (MSG, soy, dairy, food additives and chemicals) are delayed. They were baffling and figuring them out was maddening. But it can be done.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#21 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:27 AM

IrishHeart's concern about gluten cc sounds like a distinct possibility, although you may also have hit the nail on the head when you said that you feel like everything you eat after you've been glutened makes you feel sick. Some folks seem have a rather lingering reaction to gluten and that's pretty much how I've heard it described, as though their stomach just hates everything for a while after they've been glutened.

My daughter has this and everything she eats for nearly a week after she's been glutened makes her stomach hurt quite a bit. Made it a real pain for us to figure out what was going on with here for a while, because everything seemed to make her feel awful, and then foods that would seem fine one day (when she wasn't glutened) would cause trouble a few days later (when she was glutened).

Exactly! me too. almost 2 weeks to get past an accidental CC --but symptoms lingered for 8 more. :blink: Asked the GI doc (he is very celiac-savvy :) ) and he said "well, of course. The inflammatory response takes a LONG time to die back down." I said "But no one else seems to take that long. WTF?" He kiddingly said "um, you're special? No, really it is because your gut is still healing. Sorry. "

There's the "everybody's different" thing again. :)

This is why I wonder if the OP isn't getting trace gluten somewhere and it has made her fearful of eating too many things. She feels sick --she says--after almost anything she eats.

BTW----Elizabeth!--where did you go, hon? Are you feeling any better?

"LTES"  Gem 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: