#1 zeeclass6

zeeclass6

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:33 PM

I AM SO ANGRY!!!!

I take Advil Liqui-gels all the time for body aches. I have been gluten-free for one month. Today I thought that I should make sure that none of my medications contain gluten. And I come to find out that the one I take the most is not good for me:

Q: I am allergic to gluten. Is it all right for me to take this product?

A: AdvilŪ Liqui-GelsŪ, AdvilŪ Migraine and AdvilŪ PM Liqui-GelsŪ all contain a wheat derivative, and are not gluten-free. You should check with your doctor if you have any concerns about taking this product.

I am going to contact the company that makes Advil and demand my money back. I just bought a big bottle of this stuff.

Would this give me symptoms? I do not have Celiac. I think I am just gluten-sensitive.

Does anybody know, is regular advil, with the red coating, OK? Or any other Ibuprofen or pain reliever or NSAID? I know that there is a gluten-free drug list on the Web, but I understand it is not updated regularly and is not reliable.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 zeeclass6

zeeclass6

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:55 PM

I just called the company and they said that the tablets, brown gel caps and original caplets do NOT contain gluten.

But the blue liqui-gels DO.

They said that the wheat-sourced gluten product is "polysorb." (Polysorbate?) That's all the information they could give me.

They said that their tablet products are safe, but their liquid-filled products are not considered gluten-free.

Would "polysorb" be a big problem if you are merely gluten-sensitive? I wonder now if taking these Advil Liqui-Gels had been CONTRIBUTING to my body aches? Sheesh!

#3 cassP

cassP

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:09 PM

i really really really hope you're wrong.. somehow.. this is what i take too :( i DID call them last year about the red caplets.. she said the starch was "Corn Gluten".. i have never noticed any reaction to the liquid advil.. is it possible the person you spoke with on the phone was mistaken?? do we now have to look for anything with polysorbate???

like i said, i have not had reactions to it- but i do have many additional food intolerances and continuing on and off pain.. but normally previous DH bumps on my stomach and forearms will start to itch and arise if ive been glutened or if i've overdone Corn products.. or if i have some kind of frozen drink with Maltdextrin...

i really really really hope this person was wrong- cause i just bought a huge bottle too... they NEED TO START LABELING, cause this is getting REAL REAL OLD
1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens
2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.
no biopsy (insurance denied)
6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH
10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

#4 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:25 PM

i really really really hope you're wrong.. somehow.. this is what i take too :( i DID call them last year about the red caplets.. she said the starch was "Corn Gluten".. i have never noticed any reaction to the liquid advil.. is it possible the person you spoke with on the phone was mistaken?? do we now have to look for anything with polysorbate???

like i said, i have not had reactions to it- but i do have many additional food intolerances and continuing on and off pain.. but normally previous DH bumps on my stomach and forearms will start to itch and arise if ive been glutened or if i've overdone Corn products.. or if i have some kind of frozen drink with Maltdextrin...

i really really really hope this person was wrong- cause i just bought a huge bottle too... they NEED TO START LABELING, cause this is getting REAL REAL OLD

Sometimes your information is only as good as your customer relations peep on the other end of the phone.

Give then another call.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#5 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 04:40 AM

Sometimes your information is only as good as your customer relations peep on the other end of the phone.

Give then another call.

True that . . . however, their FAQ does have the info that the OP included:

Q: I am allergic to gluten. Is it all right for me to take this product?

A: AdvilŪ Liqui-GelsŪ, AdvilŪ Migraine and AdvilŪ PM Liqui-GelsŪ all contain a wheat derivative, and are not gluten-free. You should check with your doctor if you have any concerns about taking this product.

I, too, have just bought a big bottle of these (what is up with all of us just recently buying big bottles?). My daughter has had one a few times. I have not noticed, nor has she complained about anything. That being said, I won't give her anymore. I suspect the "wheat derivative" is highly processed and probably a very small quantity. . . but I'm still not going to give her anymore.

We have plenty of people in this house that can use them but if I were you guys, I would probably email the company with a complaint about labeling (I might actually do that part) and at least ask for a refund or some free product.
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#6 ElseB

ElseB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:59 AM

Stock up on your next visit to Canada. All Advil is gluten free here. I guess this is another one of those cases where the gluten-free status of a product differs between Canada and the US.
http://www.advil.ca/...liqui-gels.aspx

Q:Is Advil gluten-free and is it safe for people with celiac disease to take?
A:Advil is gluten-free and is safe for individuals with celiac disease.

Q:Does the product contain gluten or is the product manufactured at the same site as another gluten containing product?
A:All Pfizer Consumer Healthcare products are gluten-free.

#7 cassP

cassP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:12 AM

Stock up on your next visit to Canada. All Advil is gluten free here. I guess this is another one of those cases where the gluten-free status of a product differs between Canada and the US.
http://www.advil.ca/...liqui-gels.aspx

Q:Is Advil gluten-free and is it safe for people with celiac disease to take?
A:Advil is gluten-free and is safe for individuals with celiac disease.

Q:Does the product contain gluten or is the product manufactured at the same site as another gluten containing product?
A:All Pfizer Consumer Healthcare products are gluten-free.

this makes me wonder if the two products are manufactured differently or if the U.S. is just being overly cautious for litigious reasons... ????
:/
1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens
2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.
no biopsy (insurance denied)
6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH
10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

#8 ElseB

ElseB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:21 AM

this makes me wonder if the two products are manufactured differently or if the U.S. is just being overly cautious for litigious reasons... ????
:/

I think they're probably manufactured differently. I've come across a lot of products that contain different ingredients in the 2 countries. For example, Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce. gluten-free in the US, but the Canadian (and British) versions aren't because they contain malt vinegar. The US version uses white vinegar instead.

#9 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,124 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:35 AM

Target has thier brand of ibuprophen marked as gluten free in bright green letters.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#10 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:28 AM

I had a coupon for a free bottle of the Advil liquid gels. By the time I had taken the third dose (over a few days) I realized they were making me sick. nothing on the label led me to believe there was gluten. i guess i live too close to the Canadian border! I thought all Advil was safe.
Michigan

#11 zeeclass6

zeeclass6

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:36 PM

If you call Pfizer and tell them about this, they will send you coupons for free Advil.

Like I said, the regular brownish red tablets and caplets are gluten-free. But the blue gel-filled Liqui-Gels are not.

I told them that their bottle should say "contains wheat ingredients" or "contains a wheat derriviative." The consumer person I spoke to said she'd send the suggestion to some higher-ups who handle that product line.

I think it's ridiculous for them not to list this on the label. I hope they get sued over it.

I wish the FDA or some organization would make drugs, cosmetics, and lotions list common allergen ingredients separately, the way they do now on food labels. My kids are allergic to nuts and soy. My daughter once broke out in hives from a lotion and then we realized it had nut oil in it. We are so careful now. But those ingredients are often printed so small it's impossible to read them. I keep a little credit-card sized magnifying glass in my purse just for this reason.

#12 cyberprof

cyberprof

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:40 PM

I, too, was amazed to see this posted yesterday and also went to the site and re-read the FAQ. I've been taking this for a while without checking...just assumed that if regular coated ADvil was ok, then the gels would be too. I've had some possible instances of feeling unwell but had not found the culprit. NO more liqui-gels for me.

Funny, though, last week I went to Costco and picked up a big bottle of regular Advil by mistake. My kids say that the liqui-gels work faster, so I was dissapointed to have purchased the wrong kind. At least now I have the right kind and I can have my daughter finish the liqui-gels.

I agree that it should be on the label. I read the label before buying (but didn't call or check the website) but there is nothing suspicious on the label.

Thanks for posting this Zee.
Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

#13 finally diagnosed

finally diagnosed

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:42 PM

If you call Pfizer and tell them about this, they will send you coupons for free Advil.

Like I said, the regular brownish red tablets and caplets are gluten-free. But the blue gel-filled Liqui-Gels are not.

I told them that their bottle should say "contains wheat ingredients" or "contains a wheat derriviative." The consumer person I spoke to said she'd send the suggestion to some higher-ups who handle that product line.

I think it's ridiculous for them not to list this on the label. I hope they get sued over it.

I wish the FDA or some organization would make drugs, cosmetics, and lotions list common allergen ingredients separately, the way they do now on food labels. My kids are allergic to nuts and soy. My daughter once broke out in hives from a lotion and then we realized it had nut oil in it. We are so careful now. But those ingredients are often printed so small it's impossible to read them. I keep a little credit-card sized magnifying glass in my purse just for this reason.

I am so mad.. I just googled "advil liquid gels gluten free?" this is what I got on the FAQ advil web page

Q. I am allergic to gluten. Is it all right for me to take this product?

A. AdvilŪ Liqui-GelsŪ, AdvilŪ Migraine and AdvilŪ PM Liqui-GelsŪ all contain a wheat derivative, and are not gluten-free. You should check with your doctor if you have any concerns about taking this product.

I cut and pasted this response from the web page. I take advil all the time. I have been taking 600 mg of the advil liquid gels' 2 times a day for the last 2 wks for joint / muscle aches. I had just commented to my husband how I feel like crap / can't seem to shake whatever it is / unsettled stomach / skin has been very itchy... then I come upon this post..

I am so upset, but at the same time a little releaved.. I hope I can get it out of my system quick.. any ideas?

#14 zeeclass6

zeeclass6

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:08 PM

Maybe taking L-Glutamine would help it get out of your system faster? I haven't taken it myself, but have heard others say that it works for accidental "glutening."

I agree that none of the ingredients seemed suspicious. If fact, I bought the liqui-gels because (being new to this and not knowing) I ASSUMED that the liquid filled ones would have a smaller chance of containing gluten than the regular tablets. But turns out, it's the other way around.

Pfizer told me that ANY of their products that are like liquid-filled capsules should not be considered safe for people with gluten problems. The wheat ingredient is in the capsule that contains the liquid.

And yes, IT SHOULD BE ON THE LABEL, and why isn't it??!! It really is infuriating, isn't it? You take something to help you feel better, and it contributes to you feeling crappy.

I am so mad.. I just googled "advil liquid gels gluten free?" this is what I got on the FAQ advil web page

Q. I am allergic to gluten. Is it all right for me to take this product?

A. Advil® Liqui-Gels®, Advil® Migraine and Advil® PM Liqui-Gels® all contain a wheat derivative, and are not gluten-free. You should check with your doctor if you have any concerns about taking this product.

I cut and pasted this response from the web page. I take advil all the time. I have been taking 600 mg of the advil liquid gels' 2 times a day for the last 2 wks for joint / muscle aches. I had just commented to my husband how I feel like crap / can't seem to shake whatever it is / unsettled stomach / skin has been very itchy... then I come upon this post..

I am so upset, but at the same time a little releaved.. I hope I can get it out of my system quick.. any ideas?

#15 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,744 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:02 AM

And yes, IT SHOULD BE ON THE LABEL, and why isn't it??!! It really is infuriating, isn't it? You take something to help you feel better, and it contributes to you feeling crappy.

Because labeling regs are different for drugs than for food. Besides if they clearly labeled the drugs then you wouldn't have to keep taking them to medicate the symptoms that the drugs are causing and look at the money they would lose. Look at all the drugs that used to be script drugs that are now OTC. They allow doctors to just refer us to the drug store aisle telling us things like 'sure it's okay to take multiple doses of immodium to control your D, or just drink multiple doses of stuff to 'free up your C', and just take more pills to control your joint and muscle pain' instead of really finding out what the problem is that is causing the issues. Why do doctors think we just want pills to control symptoms rather than finding out what the cause of the symptoms is? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
(Coming from someone who spent 17 grand for meds (OTC and script), tests etc the year before diagnosis who hasn't even spent 1 grand in the 10 years since diagnosis. And is still a bit angry about it)
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: