- - - - -

Wheat In Beef Jerky?

• Please log in to reply

5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_DanceswithWolves_*

Guest_DanceswithWolves_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2005 - 05:42 PM

:angry: I can't believe I shoved some beef jerky in my mouth and within 20 minutes I started belching it up and severe aches in my sides! I still have them. I mean, I've also been on my feet all day in crappy sneakers....but damn, this hurts. I'd take a Tylenol, but I'm not sure if I can take that because I started taking Prozac now. I think it should be Ok....I've only been taking it for two days now.

I read the ingredients of the beef jerky bag and it stated contents contain: Wheat, Soy and something else.

Why would there be wheat in beef jerky?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 06:02 PM

Seriously, gluten can be in everything. This is why it is so important to check labels. I wouldn't think they would put wheat products in makeup or lunch meats but they do. Check everything.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#3 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2005 - 06:13 PM

Oh Boy Oberto has several flavors of beef and turkey jerky that are gluten free, we found it at Wal Mart.

http://www.oberto.com

look under FAQ's and it lists which flavors are gluten free.

#4 lovegrov

lovegrov

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 07:59 PM

A number of beef jerkys have soy sauce, most of which have wheat.

richard

#5 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 09:21 PM

Yep, soy sauce to provide salt as a preservative/flavoring or modified food starch to help bind the seasonings are usually the culprits. Oberto and Tillamook both produce gluten-free beef jerkey, or you can make your own fairly easily.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#6 Guest_DanceswithWolves_*

Guest_DanceswithWolves_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2005 - 04:27 AM

Yep, soy sauce to provide salt as a preservative/flavoring or modified food starch to help bind the seasonings are usually the culprits.  Oberto and Tillamook both produce gluten-free beef jerkey, or you can make your own fairly easily.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It seems that every morning I wake up I am congested as hell, my eyes water, my ears itch, and I have horrible stomach rumblings, and I burp. I had a bowl of Bryers vanilla ice cream around 10:30pm...so maybe that's bothering me this morning. This is crazy. At work, it's difficult to remember instructions. ALthough, my mental sharpness, comes and goes....

I've been taking this Clidinium for IBS/and anxiety. But now I'm into day 4 taking Prozac. I know it takes about four weekd to to feel any effects of this stuff. Tomorrow I get all my blood work done. I have to call the clinic and straighten out the details because my medical benefits just started, so I'm not sure what's all covered.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: