2 replies to this topic

#1 Kansas

Kansas

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:36 AM

I am trying to take probiotics, having heard they help. I am gluten,dairy, and soy intolerant. The first ones I purchased had dairy in them (Culterelle). I then read here on forum that they had a dairy/ gluten free probiotic. Second day of taking them, and my stomach and gut are upset. Is this normal? Do I dare continue, does anyone else react to probiotics?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 burdee

burdee

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:04 AM

I am trying to take probiotics, having heard they help. I am gluten,dairy, and soy intolerant. The first ones I purchased had dairy in them (Culterelle). I then read here on forum that they had a dairy/ gluten free probiotic. Second day of taking them, and my stomach and gut are upset. Is this normal? Do I dare continue, does anyone else react to probiotics?

If you're really low in 'good' bacteria, probiotics may give you some bloating and gas as they change the balance of gut bacteria. If you had lots of gut damage from gluten or other food sensitivity reactions, that bloating can be painful. I still feel uncomfortable with slight cramping anytime I have strong bloating and gas, even if I only take probiotics or arabinogalactins (prebiotics).

What other ingredients (from foods) does Culterelle have? You might be sensitive to those ingredients as well as gluten and dairy.

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#3 ciamarie

ciamarie

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:06 AM

I have found myself being gassy with probiotics. I had been taking Udo's choice for a few days, but since they didn't specifically say they were gluten-free and due to the gas, I found another one to try; futurebiotics Acidophilus. The label says contains no added milk or dairy, sugar, salt, starch, wheat, gluten, soy, artificial colors or preservatives.

Other details are:
other ingred: modified cellulose, rice powder, beet fiber, vegetarian stearate, silica.
Probiotic dairy-free blend 14.5mg
lactobacillus acidophilus
l. rhamnosus
bifidobacterium longum
lactospore lactobacillus sporogenes

I've only taken them a few times in the last week since I got them, and much less issues with gas.
Gluten-free since the end of October 2011

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: