Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Can't Loss Weight!

7 posts in this topic

Hello my wife is trying to lose weight and watches what she eat and works out at least 5 time a week. The last two weeks she has only been able to lose a 1/4 pound each week. I was wondering if Stress will play a role in this? Also I was wondering if she is not eating enough food. Typical day 1 1/2 half bags of Sugar free oat meal with granoal in it then Carrots for snack, lunch about 1/2 cup brown rice with a small piece of meat then a yougut (greek) with almonds then a dinner maybe pork chop and mashed potatoed and a vegie.If anyone has a good idea to try please let me know as my wife is really fustrated right know!!!!!!

Ads by Google:

Since she didn't post this, I'm wondering....Who wants her to lose weight? You?

You could suggest that she get her thyroid checked as a malfuntioning one can make it very hard to lose weight.

Since she didn't post this, I'm wondering....Who wants her to lose weight? You?

Really? Guy asks a question in hopes of helping his frustrated wife and you start with that. OP I hope someone can actually help you.

Have your wife go to her doctor and request a thyroid test... I was just reading yesterday that hypothyroidism (slow thyroid) is VERY common in Celiac patients. And to ask for the T3 and T4 test, NOT the TSH test. I hope this helps. For me, staying away from the processed Gluten Free foods is helping me lose weight. That would be all commercially prepared stuff, including pastas and breads. I eat small amounts of gluten-free oats and brown rice, but mainly lots of vegetables both raw and steamed, lots of fruit (apples, peaches in juice not syrup, pears, bananas, papaya, mango, applesauce etc.) and VERY lean meats and especially skinless chicken breasts. I am not much of a fish eater but I will eat tuna canned in water. Low fat mayo, salad dressings and also eggs, mostly hard boiled, If she is eating too little it could be her body is going into what they call "starvation mode" and hanging onto all the calories it can.

I also joined the online version of Weight Watchers which helps keep track of all I eat PLUS my activities, it's amazing and I love it! Hope this helps a bit good luck you her!

Dee

Agreed with Dee777..!!! Yes its right fruits and vegetables are really good in diet plan. Only walk is not important along with it one must focus on the an energetic food plan it would be helpful. Good Luck

Hello my wife is trying to lose weight and watches what she eat and works out at least 5 time a week. The last two weeks she has only been able to lose a 1/4 pound each week. I was wondering if Stress will play a role in this? Also I was wondering if she is not eating enough food. Typical day 1 1/2 half bags of Sugar free oat meal with granoal in it then Carrots for snack, lunch about 1/2 cup brown rice with a small piece of meat then a yougut (greek) with almonds then a dinner maybe pork chop and mashed potatoed and a vegie.If anyone has a good idea to try please let me know as my wife is really fustrated right know!!!!!!

Hi jtazman! She needs a doc and she needs to drill the doc in case he doesn't listen. Your wife's diet doesn't sound like too little to me, and not too much either. You didn't mention if she's exercising though. If she's not then 20 minutes of fast non-stop walks daily will help raise her metabolism and burn energy even when she's not moving. I would advise not doing anything harder than speed walks though in case she does have an underlying problem that any hard exercise would become harmful.

I was always overweight no matter what I did, so the only thing that helped me control my weight was exercise, so I cycled, and I cycled a lot, which made me lose weight. Since the reason I wasn't losing weight without cycling was an underlying problem and not what I ate, I started getting weaker and more tired every time I worked out. I haven't been to the doc yet so I've been advised by forum members to stop overworking myself until I've seen the doc since I would risk getting a sport-injury otherwise. 20 minutes of daily walks should be ok though, and they will make a difference, just not as fast as harder workouts.

I wish your wife good luck.. but I really do hope that she wants to lose weight because she prioritizes having more energy and being healthy, and not because she doesn't feel attractive. People who are fixed on losing weight for the sake of looking good often face frustration and a lot of unhappiness and they get nowhere because of that. You need to be supporting her by helping her feel better about herself and her image.

jtazman99? it's been a while since you posted, how's your wife?