56 replies to this topic

#16 ctenny

ctenny

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:38 AM

I need to put a picture of me young self up right now. I'm 20 so my hair is in it's prime. Full auburn, I suppose.

It's interesting that Celiac is considered the cetlic disease. When did the Celiac gene develop and is there any advantage to it?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:00 AM

Blonde here with fair skin. No freckles unless you count the spots from skin that has been treated like bacon & fried in the southern coastal sun for a lifetime!Posted Image

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#18 maximoo

maximoo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:13 AM

DD has med brown hair with copper highlights & freckles--fair/olive skin. DS has black hair--no freckles & tan (light brwn) skin. Both positive for gluten antibodies. No official DX.

#19 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:45 AM

redhead when I was young then went to auburn as I aged then to a reddish blonde, & now sadly enough turning grey! pale skin, blue eyes, freckles when young....

#20 BarryC

BarryC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:42 PM

I am part Irish and have some native American. The native part makes sense because I dont think they grew wheat. Lots of native people where I live and they have problems with diabetes and obesity.

#21 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:58 AM

this lady has a theory :)

http://howtobearedhe...s-the-question/

I think the theory about redheads came in part from the large number of Celtic people with celiac. The largest concentration of celiacs with DQ2 genes, I believe, are in Western Ireland.

I have olive skin and freckles, dark brown, almost black hair that was more reddish when I was younger. (As was my mother's. Dad's was jet black.)

Now, it mostly just wants to be grey. :rolleyes:

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#22 DougE

DougE

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:32 AM

this lady has a theory :)

http://howtobearedhe...s-the-question/

I think the theory about redheads came in part from the large number of Celtic people with celiac. The largest concentration of celiacs with DQ2 genes, I believe, are in Western Ireland.

I have olive skin and freckles, dark brown, almost black hair that was more reddish when I was younger. (As was my mother's. Dad's was jet black.)

Now, it mostly just wants to be grey. :rolleyes:

I was going to suggest the same thing. I too heard that the highest concentration of people with celiac is in western Ireland. I do not have red hair, but my grandmother whom I suspect had celiac was of Irish descent.

#23 vella

vella

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:15 PM

New here...Hi all.......I have red orange hair, no freckles and light olive complected and the only one in the family with red hair......I can't find anyone in the family who knows any relatives with Celiac.......My heritage is French, Irish and German.

Trying to get a hang of the board.
One day I will be stress free...pff, who am I kidding ?

#24 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:57 AM

Welcome vella. Everyone here is so very helpful. Ask anything you need. Look around & get familiar with things.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#25 Jetamio

Jetamio

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:28 PM

This is really interesting! I was a red head when I was little and it darkened to a dark auburn brown. I'm half Irish (mom) and half Native American (Dad).
Dairy free since 2010
Gluten free 2/2012 after off the charts positive blood test
Soy and MSG sensitive
Have opted not to biopsy right now.

#26 sharilee

sharilee

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:07 PM

I was diagnosed with celiac disease a little over a week ago and I am a red head.

Positive blood work July 2011
Negative Endoscopy August 2011
Positive Endoscopy February 23, 2012
Celiac Diagnosis February 23, 2012
Gluten Free since February 24, 2012

Shari

#27 ncteacher

ncteacher

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:49 AM

I'm a redhead!

I heard from a fellow celiac (who is brunette, by the way) that celiac disease seems to be more common along the Irish/Scottish hereditary line. If that's true (I'm skeptical), maybe there is a link!
Iron-deficiency anemic since 2008.
Vitamin D deficient since 2009.
Presumed lactose-intolerant since 2005.
Self-diagnosed gluten-intolerant since February 2012, and in the experimental phase of being completely gluten-free.
Don't want a biopsy. Don't want endoscopy. Blood tests will probably do no good, since I'm doing this on my own.

#28 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:03 PM

New here...Hi all.......I have red orange hair, no freckles and light olive complected and the only one in the family with red hair......I can't find anyone in the family who knows any relatives with Celiac.......My heritage is French, Irish and German.

Trying to get a hang of the board.

Hi Hon! Welcome to the forum!

Ditto for me-- French, Irish, German ---and Armenian.

There's no one in my family with Celiac (that we know of anyway )--except me--but there are others (of this, I am quite sure) as the family is loaded with auotimmune diseases. My Dad certainly had it, we know now. And in our grandparents' time, no one kept records.

...and well, someone has to be diagnosed FIRST, right? :)

Guess that's us!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#29 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:08 PM

I'm a redhead!

I heard from a fellow celiac (who is brunette, by the way) that celiac disease seems to be more common along the Irish/Scottish hereditary line. If that's true (I'm skeptical), maybe there is a link!

There is quite a bit written about the celtic association (some folks kiddingly calling this " Celtic Disease".) and the genetic markers that are prevalent in Ireland/the UK. Interesting stuff! :)

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#30 Ryniev

Ryniev

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:07 PM

My hair is brown but tends to have reddish highlights. I don't think that counts though because I look very Italian and I don't think there are many Italian redheads running amok.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: