56 replies to this topic

#31 PatSch

PatSch

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:00 PM

Redhead w/freckles here. But the rest of my large family with gluten issues are not.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 xJalin

xJalin

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:32 PM

I'm a redhead too. :) Interestingly enough, my brother's friend is a celiac, and he's a redhead too.

#33 xJalin

xJalin

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:50 PM

Come to think of it, all the people I know who are celiacs or are of Irish descent. My aunt, myself, and 2 friends (all redheads), and another friend who isn't a redhead but is 100% Irish

#34 SugarBiscuit

SugarBiscuit

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:49 PM

Interesting...I am half Native American, half Irish. I was born with back hair, but turned brown with red tinting when I was a teenager.
1996 Dxed with Exercise Induced Asthma, Chronic Constipation
2003 Dxed with Migraines, Severe Acne, Infertility, IBS, PCOS, Keratosis Pilaris and unexplained flat fingernails, Depression, and Arthritis in both knees and one wrist
2005 Dxed with Insomnia, Bipolar Disorder, and unexplained loss of enamel
2010 began having hair loss, constant bladder infections, and chronic fatigue
2011 gained 50 pounds, severe joint pain
2012 had UTI, went to doctor and given anti-biotics,resulted in diarrhea 10-15 times a day.
March 2012 self Dxed Celiac Began gluten free diet. All symptoms have stopped or lessened greatly, including PCOS and joint pain.

#35 ctenny

ctenny

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:54 PM

Celiac is called the Celtic disease...

#36 ChuGotItDood

ChuGotItDood

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:18 PM

I am blonde, my bf is a red head, and our friend is brunette. And we are all Celiacs. I'm new to this too( diagnosed this week ), but knew a bit about Celiacs from them before.
Suzy!
Diagnosed 04/10/2012

#37 ctenny

ctenny

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:36 AM

Welcome to the club! I've been diagnosed for 2 and a half months now.

#38 frieze

frieze

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:36 AM

My hair is brown but tends to have reddish highlights. I don't think that counts though because I look very Italian and I don't think there are many Italian redheads running amok.

virna lisi, natural blonde/blue eye italian actress....about 2% are red heads, so I just read.

#39 vickimini

vickimini

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:06 AM

First post for me! I have some Irish blood and some (unconfirmed) native blood. My hair is unremarkable brown but I used to get red highlights in the summer, when I was young. All highlights are gray now!

Glad to be here. You all know so much about this! I have no Dx but have had an explosion of symptoms, fierce anxiety and irritability being the worst, since quitting gluten about five months ago.

#40 EJR

EJR

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:55 AM

Another redhead here. My grandparents were from Norway so have the fair skin, freckles, etc.

#41 Stubborn red head

Stubborn red head

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:21 AM

I have red in my hair. I have always been the red head of the family. We all have some in our hair but mine shows the most. Im strawberry blonde, I have pail skin and freckled from head to toe with all kinds of moles.

#42 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:37 AM

The only place that's left red is some of my thinning eyebrows and eyelashes. I was born light blonde that went to strawberry blonde and then it darkened to dark medium ashy mixed by high school, so it was very easy to bring it back up to lighter with mild highlighting solutions. It got very dark (the roots) by my forties, then started to go dull ashy mudd grey mixed with the red and blonde. After gluten free, it changed texture again (thank God, it got thicker) and came in curlier and lighter colored. That was the strange part, my hair changed color, too. But I kept highlighting, at least the roots blended nicely. I am pale skinned, why not.

Then, tragically, L'Oreal stopped making my color, :( so I had to switch. :lol: And we have real funky well water minerals around here, all my neighbors my age are sort of in need of a rainwater rinse and conditioning. My hair is currently not quite the right color, especially since skin tends to change with age (could I be any whiter than this ? not by much) but when I've tried others with the Garnier (no gluten) they are not coming out the way I wanted, yet. Grey is funky to dye over.

My mother, by this age, was much more light silver grey than I am, and her hair was much more brunette than mine ever has been. I let my hair grow all the way out natural color last year, looked at it, said, NOPE, I'm no silver fox, :blink: and went to the cabinet for the color.

I have very mild freckling, pale skin, pale blue eyes, and the whole Celt/Indigenous/Irish/English/German routine. Both parents were dark haired and all the kids were born blonde.

#43 FruitEnthusiast

FruitEnthusiast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:49 AM

I was just diagnosed a week ago, so as of today, I have not met a single other person with Celiac's in real life. I have no idea what they look like! I have heard, through the grapevine of the internet, that there seems to be a high frequency of red heads in the Celiac population.

Is this just because of the two gene's common European upbringing?

Who here is a red head? I am!

What do you think of this odd coincidence?

Hi, I'm a redhead too! I've also heard celiac is prevalent among redheads. Though I'm gluten intolerant and tested negative for celiac, my GI said to be extra careful "cause I'm a redhead. I've heard that redheads have one less layer of epidermis on the outer most layer of their skin and also on the inner most layer internally too. Food for thought.

Sara  :)   "This life is a test. It is only a test. If it had been an actual life, you would

have received further instructions on where to go and what to do"

"If you're going through hell, keep going" :) Winston Churchill
Histamine Intolerant  Apr 2014

N C Gluten Intolerant dx Feb 2012  Also Intolerant to Rice, Eggs, Nightshades.
Gluten-Free/ Grain-free/ only whole foods prepared at home since  March 2012
Dairy, Soy, Chocolate free since Jan 2012   Sensitive to Corn and Mold since 1995

#44 RL2011

RL2011

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:56 AM

You Gingers have all kinds of added issues (said laughingly).
Richard

#45 FruitEnthusiast

FruitEnthusiast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:33 AM

You Gingers have all kinds of added issues (said laughingly).

Hmmm... perhaps... but it's soooo worth it! :)

Sara  :)   "This life is a test. It is only a test. If it had been an actual life, you would

have received further instructions on where to go and what to do"

"If you're going through hell, keep going" :) Winston Churchill
Histamine Intolerant  Apr 2014

N C Gluten Intolerant dx Feb 2012  Also Intolerant to Rice, Eggs, Nightshades.
Gluten-Free/ Grain-free/ only whole foods prepared at home since  March 2012
Dairy, Soy, Chocolate free since Jan 2012   Sensitive to Corn and Mold since 1995

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: