73 replies to this topic

#1 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:38 AM

Do any super sensitives have issues with So Delicious coconut milk? I was thinking of getting some but I am super sensitive so I am not sure.

Also, do any of you bake with coconut flour? Any good brands out there?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:34 PM

I enjoy So Delicious milk, creamer, ice cream all the time and have no problems whatsoever with their products. They are certified gluten-free, free of GMOs, organic, dairy free, etc. and taste great!

from their website:
Gluten-Free

Our gluten-free products are certified by the Gluten-Free Certification Organization, a program of the Gluten Intolerance Group of North America®. To learn more, visit www.GFCO.org

Kosher ParveKosher Parve

Products that are certified Kosher Parve are certified through Kehilla Kosher. To learn more, visit www.KehillaKosher.org
Kosher D.E.Kosher D.E.

Products that are processed in a plant that contains dairy are certified Kosher D.E. by Kehilla Kosher. To learn more, visit www.KehillaKosher.org
Organic CoconutMade with Organic Coconut

Products that contain organically grown and certified coconut are marked with this symbol. To learn more, visit www.OrganicCertifiers.com

Organic
Made with Organic Ingredients

Products marked with this label contain between 70% and 94% Organic ingredients. To learn more, visit www.OrganicCertifiers.com
Non-GMONon-GMO Project

Products that bear this symbol are verified by the Non-GMO Project, a non-profit collaboration of manufacturers, processors, distributors, farmers, seed companies and consumers. To learn more, visit www.NonGMOProject.org
Pas YisroelPas Yisroel

Products containing grain products that are cooked or baked with the participation of a Rabbi are marked with this symbol. To learn more, visit www.KehillaKosher.org
Certified USDA OrganicUSDA Organic

Products that are labeled "USDA Organic" are certified by Organic Certifiers and contain more than 95% Organic ingredients. To learn more, visit www.OrganicCertifiers.com
VeganVegan

All of our products are certified vegan by Vegan Action. They do not contain animal products and are not tested on animals. To learn more, visit www.Vegan.org

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#3 Joe0123

Joe0123

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:58 PM

Pretty sure So Delicious bothers me, but I might have to try it again to be completely sure. Tropical Tradition coconut flour is great and its never bothered me so I'd say its safe for all super sensitives. I'd recommend it to anyone.

#4 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:03 PM

So Delicious ice cream was fabulous and filled that niche nicely until I could have lactose again. :D
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:52 PM

I noticed a reaction to So Delicious coconut milk back when I seemed to be able to tolerate things tested to below 5 ppm. I just looked it up and their products are tested to less than 10 ppm. I guess it would depend on your degree of super sensitivity.

http://www.turtlemou..._glutenfree.pdf
http://gfco.org/

#6 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:06 PM

I noticed a reaction to So Delicious coconut milk back when I seemed to be able to tolerate things tested to below 5 ppm. I just looked it up and their products are tested to less than 10 ppm. I guess it would depend on your degree of super sensitivity.

What kind of reaction do (did) you get? If I might ask :)
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#7 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:05 PM

I looked on the chart you linked to, but I do not see where they state that about 10 ppm....can you point that out to me?

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#8 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:39 PM

There comes a point where we may need to just agree that "Everyone is different" in his/her reactions to low gluten levels.

Because to me, it seems like no matter WHAT product is questioned by someone on this site, and particularly in this section, someone says it gives them "a reaction".

Is it a GLUTEN reaction? What happens exactly?
How do you know it is not a reaction to something ELSE in the product??

That is significant to differentiate.

What it seems to come down to is this: if someone is so sensitive that he/she cannot tolerate any products in a package or from a factory--even a dedicated one with strictly- enforced certification policies--then he/she should never, ever use them.

At least, that seems to be the prevailing thought here.

I am extremely sensitive to trace gluten exposure--as in an accidental CC--and when I say that, I mean I get immediate neuro symptoms and various GI symptoms, insomnia, agitation, horrid BURNING muscle and skin pain and joint pain and they last for weeks. It happened only twice-- and neither was because of a packaged product with that G F circle on it.

That is what I consider being "super sensitive". Yet, I am fine with several packaged products that carry that big fat circled G F .
Dedicated facilities are about as good as it gets for us.

Posting a question like "Do any super sensitives react to....(fill in the blank)...." is going to get just two answers --(1) those who answer, "no, I do not" and (2) those who will immediately say "I did".

So sometimes, I wonder...what's the point?
There will always be someone who will say "I did."

Why? because everyone is different. :)

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#9 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:54 PM

I looked on the chart you linked to, but I do not see where they state that about 10 ppm....can you point that out to me?

In the second link it states that in order to get GFCO certification it must test to less than 10 ppm.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

#10 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:59 PM

thanks, Shroomie!

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#11 Oscar

Oscar

Grouch

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:15 PM

Harrumph!

Does anybody react to XXXXX? YYYYY? ZZZZZ?

I react to water. You know, dihydrogen monoxide--H2O. When I accidentally inhale it, I have a coughing fit. OMG! I react to water--water MUST contain gluten. I KNOW it FOR SURE! :o

No matter what you ask about, there is somebody who has a problem with it--real or imagined. Doesn't mean you will.

I cannot use Kraft Zesty Italian Dressing. I know it is gluten-free--no doubt there. But something in it disagrees with me.

Believe what you choose to believe. I will believe clear scientific evidence long before I believe off-the-wall anecdotes. Your mileage may vary.
"The three-martini lunch is the epitome of American efficiency. Where else can you get an earful, a bellyful and a snootful at the same time?" ~ Gerald R. Ford

Posted Image

#12 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:33 PM

I know a number of super-sensitives who do well with Tropical Traditions coconut products, too (re: the flour question).

So sometimes, I wonder...what's the point?
There will always be someone who will say "I did."

Why? because everyone is different. :)

I think it's not always so useful for someone coming in cold, very true. Even less useful for someone who doesn't usually ask questions in the super-sensitive section, so they have no real way of gauging whose sensitivity levels might match their own. So whether someone reacted or not may have no relevance to whether THEY might react.

I think your last sentence hits the nail on the head: we're all different. I wonder if a different format of question might provide the information people are really looking for, which I imagine is, 'will I, personally, have a problem with this food?'

Perhaps listing a couple products one can eat might help. Like saying 'I can eat Kinnickinnick and Pamela's products without issue. For others who can also eat these products, do you have any trouble with Product X?'

I wonder if encouraging that type of question might enable us to focus the answers better to provide the most relevant info.

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#13 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:50 PM

Does anybody react to XXXXX? YYYYY? ZZZZZ?

Am I misreading or are you mocking the fact that someone even asked this type of question? That's how it's coming across to me, honestly.

If you don't agree with the answers, or even with the idea that someone might have problems with a product, that's your prerogative, of course. But a response that mocks the person asking the question, or others who are answering, isn't exactly conducive to a productive forum, IMO. It would seem to lead to a situation where people who really need to know the information are too afraid of derision to ask a question.

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#14 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:54 PM

I wonder if a different format of question might provide the information people are really looking for, which I imagine is, 'will I, personally, have a problem with this food?'

Perhaps listing a couple products one can eat might help. Like saying 'I can eat Kinnickinnick and Pamela's products without issue. For others who can also eat these products, do you have any trouble with Product X?'

I wonder if encouraging that type of question might enable us to focus the answers better to provide the most relevant info.

Since so many of us have other intolerances beyond gluten, this makes a lot of sense to me.

Just because you have an adverse reaction to a product does not necessarily mean that it contains gluten. That is true of all of us, not just those who are super-sensitive. I do not consider myself to be super-sensitive. I do react to small amounts of gluten. I also react to shellfish. I would never say that that proves that lobster contains gluten. I am allergic to them, but it has nothing to do with gluten, or celiac disease.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

#15 Oscar

Oscar

Grouch

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:09 PM

Am I misreading or are you mocking the fact that someone even asked this type of question? That's how it's coming across to me, honestly.

If you don't agree with the answers, or even with the idea that someone might have problems with a product, that's your prerogative, of course. But a response that mocks the person asking the question, or others who are answering, isn't exactly conducive to a productive forum, IMO. It would seem to lead to a situation where people who really need to know the information are too afraid of derision to ask a question.

It is not my intent to mock anyone. But this form of question recurs over and over. There is always someone who responds that, whatever the product is, they react to it. I annoys me when someone:

Replies to such a question saying they react, but never respond to questions about their reaction; or,

Posts once in a drive-by attack on a product and never returns.

It is my nature to be grouchy. ;)
"The three-martini lunch is the epitome of American efficiency. Where else can you get an earful, a bellyful and a snootful at the same time?" ~ Gerald R. Ford

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: