This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Saw The Nutritionist

bartfull

bartfull Rising Star

I think the yams worked. It's been about five hours since I had some for lunch and so far so good. And what a difference in taste! These organic yams are so sweet and they don't have a bit of the pumpkin-y taste.

XrayLady, thanks for the tip and welcome to the board! Actually the Sundown products all have corn in them somewhere. Corn is hard to find by reading the label because it doesn't have to be listed if it is used in processing. Even the guy at the healthfood store couldn't find anything in his catalogues that didn't have corn.

And DANG! I forgot to leave a piece of steak under my tongue today. :lol: I just swallowed it all right away. Tasted pretty good too.

Can you tell I'm in a better mood today? Your support has helped so much! Now, it's almost time to go to Kelly's. I hope SHE has had a better day today too.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
tom Contributor

3 cheers for yams!

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I think the yams worked. It's been about five hours since I had some for lunch and so far so good. And what a difference in taste! These organic yams are so sweet and they don't have a bit of the pumpkin-y taste.

XrayLady, thanks for the tip and welcome to the board! Actually the Sundown products all have corn in them somewhere. Corn is hard to find by reading the label because it doesn't have to be listed if it is used in processing. Even the guy at the healthfood store couldn't find anything in his catalogues that didn't have corn.

And DANG! I forgot to leave a piece of steak under my tongue today. :lol: I just swallowed it all right away. Tasted pretty good too.

Can you tell I'm in a better mood today? Your support has helped so much! Now, it's almost time to go to Kelly's. I hope SHE has had a better day today too.

Glad the yams and steak are sitting well. Maybe the hot dogs, even though bison were just too greasy for your system. If the yams set well stick with them for a few days with your steak or perhaps a chicken breast. Do try to avoid any processed stuff organic or not. Single ingredients right now are the way to go.

cahill Collaborator
Do try to avoid any processed stuff organic or not. Single ingredients right now are the way to go.

Great words of wisdom my friend :)

bartfull Rising Star

Here I am the next day to report that the yams DEFINITELY WORKED!! Hehehehe. I never thought the idea of eating a baked yam could make me so happy. I had a ricecake banana and Cabot extra sharp cheddar for breakfast today. More steak yam and broccoli for lunch and supper later today.

I have worked out a plan of sorts. If I go to Safeway once every two weeks, I should be able to buy enough organic produce to get through. If the organic white potatoes work (those will be the next thing I try), I can get two bags of those, half a dozen yams, some organic broccoli, cauliflower and carrots which I can freeze, and whatever I need in the way of oils and other extras.

The healthfood store here has ground bison. If I get two pounds of that a week and then get my chicken at the "Meat Locker", that should cover the meats. The Meat Locker is a local slaughterhouse. I don't like their beef. It all just tastes funny to me. But they have these gigantic chicken breasts that are "air chilled". They taste like the chickens we used to raise in the backyard when I was a kid. I had almost forgotten what chicken is supposed to taste like.

The only thing I'll have to get for produce locally (which means non-organic) is bananas and avocados, but I'm thinking that with their thick skins they should be OK.

And who knows, maybe someday I'll be able to eat salads and make things like that chocolate mug cake mentioned in another thread.

I was feeling so hopeless for a couple of days there, and today I feel hopeFUL. And all because of the lowly yam. :)

Sparky10 Newbie

Thanks, Raven. I think the wheatgrass supplement was something she threw out there because I've been worrying about getting enough nutrition. I'm not going to risk it though. I know that I won't die of malnutrition in three weeks, so although I'm sure I'll be really hungry during all this, I think I can do it.

I've been cutting back on coffee lately anyway. I'm down from five or six (small) cups a day to just three. That IS going to be the hardest part, even harder than the cigs, but it'll be good for me so I'll do it.

I'm going to miss my nightly ice cream. Just knowing I could have a treat when I went home each night made all the rest so much easier to bear. She said I need to replace it with a different treat. She suggested I make a smoothie with a banana and some frozen blueberries. I LOVE blueberries but have been afraid to try them. I guess now I will. Avacado for the next couple of days, quinoa after that, and the blueberries will be next. I sure hope I can tolerate them because even though I eat bananas every day for the potassium, AND because they are one of the few foods I don't react to, I really don't LIKE bananas. It would be so nice to have a different kind of fruit.

I want to send a warning about avocados....I love them, but found that they are very flatulent and since that's one of my main problems (gas, gas and more gas) I cut out advocados and bananas as well, also a highly flatulent food! Damn, what can I eat anymore, this is ridiculous!

Sparky10 Newbie

Are yams in the nightshade family?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bartfull Rising Star

Hi Sparky. No, as far as I know the nightshades are tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, and white potato. I don't think yams are related.

The avocados didn't give me gas and bananas don't either. But everyone is different. I can't figure out why leafy greens give me D - they shouldn't bother me at all, but they do.

You sound as frustrated as I have been lately and I see you are new to the site. What is it you're eating, and which foods bother you? Even though I saw the nutritionist, I have gotten more help, good information, and support from the folks on this board. People like Skylark, Mushroom, KarenG, RavenWoodGlass, and a host of others are probably more "expert" at this than any nutritionist with a PHD.

So fire away and let us know what you're eating /not eating. Tell us your symptoms. We'll help you.

mushroom Proficient

I want to send a warning about avocados....I love them, but found that they are very flatulent and since that's one of my main problems (gas, gas and more gas) I cut out advocados and bananas as well, also a highly flatulent food! Damn, what can I eat anymore, this is ridiculous!

Well, don't eat beans. A little ditty oft repeated to me:

Beans, beans, the musical fruit

The more you eat the more you toot

The more you toot the better you feel

So eat your beans at every meal.

:lol:

Now, I often feel better after tooting, but I'm not going to eat beans so I can enjoy the experience :D Because those around me don't enjoy it so much :P

I know this doesn't help your problem but thought it might make you smile at least.

Skylark Collaborator

Are yams in the nightshade family?

Nope. I just had to look that up because I'm reacting to nightshades. Most of the orange tubers sold in the US as yams are sweet potatoes, and they are in the morning glory family (Convolvulaceae). True yams are botanically very distinct and are in the yam family (Dioscoreaceae). After reading about them and looking at pictures I don't know that I've ever had a yam; I think I've only had various varieties of sweet potatoes.

I'm so glad you've found another food, Bartful! I wonder, is the beef at that butcher that tastes funny to you grass-fed? It took me a while to get used to grass-fed beef.

I wonder what's going on with the greens? That's a real head-scratcher. Spinach is notorious for pesticide residues. Do organic greens make you sick too?

frieze Community Regular

Nope. I just had to look that up because I'm reacting to nightshades. Most of the orange tubers sold in the US as yams are sweet potatoes, and they are in the morning glory family (Convolvulaceae). True yams are botanically very distinct and are in the yam family (Dioscoreaceae). After reading about them and looking at pictures I don't know that I've ever had a yam; I think I've only had various varieties of sweet potatoes.

I'm so glad you've found another food, Bartful! I wonder, is the beef at that butcher that tastes funny to you grass-fed? It took me a while to get used to grass-fed beef.

I wonder what's going on with the greens? That's a real head-scratcher. Spinach is notorious for pesticide residues. Do organic greens make you sick too?

yep, sky beat me to it, but you will be hard put to find any yams in the continental USA. what you have are different varieties of sweet potatoes, which are no relation to "irish" or "white" potatoes.

bartfull Rising Star

Skylark, I think I found the same article you did, and I can now honestly say I've never had a true yam in my life. But these organic "yams" I bought were the very best tasting sweet potatoes I ever had.

I don't know what it is about the beef at the meat locker. I don't believe any of it is grass fed, it just tastes old to me, like it is about ready to turn. I also found out that people who take their own beef or deer or elk or whatever to them don't necessarily get back packages of meat from the same animal. If they are doing a bunch of deer one day for example, they just cut it all up and make sure everyone who brought one that day gets the same amount of packages of the same cuts. It's not illegal, but I consider it unethical.

Yesterday I had a baked organic white potato. So far so good. I just had another one with my lunch. I have never been able to tolerate any white potato of any variety so far. If this organic stuff works for me I'll be very happy.

Yeah, none of the green leafies I've tried so far have been organic. If I can get some organic stuff next week when I go to the city and it works, I'll be growing my own come spring.

UKGail Rookie

Bartful I am so pleased you are starting to find some foods which you can tolerate. I am interested to hear how it carries on for you.

Whilst I don't have your huge problems with corn etc, I have been trying to narrow down the causes of my remaining problems (mainly fatigue and brain fog, with digestion problems and some abdominal pain - but all variable so there is a cause to be found there somewhere). Anyhow, I have been keeping things quite simple lately, and have noticed that I feel so much better with a large portion of salmon (tinned for me is fine), a boiled sweet potato, brussel sprouts and peas, just salted for seasoning. Delicious and filling. The gluten free rice and buckwheat porridge with some coconut-based gluten-free milk for breakfast was not good. Even a banana at lunchtime was tough on me, but this is not always so, when I feel well. I suspect the lingering after effects of a probable minor glutening a week ago (the biggest clue for me is a migraine, plus other follow on symptoms). I really don't think you can beat a proper meal made with with a small number of simple, ideally grain fee, ingredients while you are in recovery. Whilst I seem to get away with the occasional grain-based or sugary gluten-free alternative, anything more than a couple of times a week seems to get me somehow. Maybe this will change in time, or maybe I will manage to narrow down the culprit, but for the moment I am just happy to have something healthy and safe to eat.

Sparky10 Newbie

Hi Sparky. No, as far as I know the nightshades are tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, and white potato. I don't think yams are related.

The avocados didn't give me gas and bananas don't either. But everyone is different. I can't figure out why leafy greens give me D - they shouldn't bother me at all, but they do.

You sound as frustrated as I have been lately and I see you are new to the site. What is it you're eating, and which foods bother you? Even though I saw the nutritionist, I have gotten more help, good information, and support from the folks on this board. People like Skylark, Mushroom, KarenG, RavenWoodGlass, and a host of others are probably more "expert" at this than any nutritionist with a PHD.

So fire away and let us know what you're eating /not eating. Tell us your symptoms. We'll help you.

Well, it took me an hour to find the spot where I had posted my question, I wish they could send a link to my email to get me to this spot If someone answers....

I have not eaten gluten for one month today, I decided that I am sensitive to it, especially since I have Hashimotos disease. since I stopped I have gotten worse, my main symptom starts in the back of my tongue, always pleghm (spelling?) as soon as I eat anything...then the 'war' starts in my stomach almost within minutes...lots of noises and discomfort, not really pain...then I will start with the gas, incredible amounts (lucky for me they don't smell at all!!!!!) but it's impossible to be around other people...luckily my husband loves me a lot (33 yrs) or I would be in real trouble!

So, I am now doing my own elimination diet, had a pear this morning, that was ok, then asparagus for lunch and dinner...so far,pretty ok...yams work fine, too....I stopped drinking alcohol around a year ago because it didn't feel right at night, headaches etc, which I never had before, stopped with coffe 2 yrs ago, too...I have been an insomniac for 20 yrs. doing some estrogen and progesterone cream every third night and I sleep like a baby that night...all very confusing!oh, forgot to mention that I've dealt with chronic constipation forever and hoping that gluten free will help there, too...milk of magnesia is my weekly remedy, I hope that google was correct telling me it's gluten free....so much to learn, but I' m patient and I do prepare good foods, salads and quinoa (add herbs and spices and it's delicious!) I'm 63 and exercise a lot, golf, hiking, swimming, 4mile walks almost daily, so there's no lack of exercise! Enough rambling, sorry...would love to know if anyone has the tongue/throat issue?

Skylark Collaborator

Well, it took me an hour to find the spot where I had posted my question, I wish they could send a link to my email to get me to this spot If someone answers....

The blue "watch topic" button just above the top of the thread might do that for you. You can also find topics you've started or replied to by clicking your name at the top of the forum and selecting "my content" from the menu. I use that all the time.

I have not eaten gluten for one month today, I decided that I am sensitive to it, especially since I have Hashimotos disease. since I stopped I have gotten worse, my main symptom starts in the back of my tongue, always pleghm (spelling?) as soon as I eat anything...then the 'war' starts in my stomach almost within minutes...lots of noises and discomfort, not really pain...then I will start with the gas, incredible amounts (lucky for me they don't smell at all!!!!!) but it's impossible to be around other people...luckily my husband loves me a lot (33 yrs) or I would be in real trouble!

So, I am now doing my own elimination diet, had a pear this morning, that was ok, then asparagus for lunch and dinner...so far,pretty ok...yams work fine, too....I stopped drinking alcohol around a year ago because it didn't feel right at night, headaches etc, which I never had before, stopped with coffe 2 yrs ago, too...I have been an insomniac for 20 yrs. doing some estrogen and progesterone cream every third night and I sleep like a baby that night...all very confusing!oh, forgot to mention that I've dealt with chronic constipation forever and hoping that gluten free will help there, too...milk of magnesia is my weekly remedy, I hope that google was correct telling me it's gluten free....so much to learn, but I' m patient and I do prepare good foods, salads and quinoa (add herbs and spices and it's delicious!) I'm 63 and exercise a lot, golf, hiking, swimming, 4mile walks almost daily, so there's no lack of exercise! Enough rambling, sorry...would love to know if anyone has the tongue/throat issue?

You might want to start your own thread so people see your questions. You're buried 5 pages deep in this one! :lol: Your tongue/throat thing sounds like reflux. If so it's a really common gluten reaction.

Sparky10 Newbie

The blue "watch topic" button just above the top of the thread might do that for you. You can also find topics you've started or replied to by clicking your name at the top of the forum and selecting "my content" from the menu. I use that all the time.

You might want to start your own thread so people see your questions. You're buried 5 pages deep in this one! :lol: Your tongue/throat thing sounds like reflux. If so it's a really common gluten reaction.

Thanks for both responses...acid reflux has been an issue as well...when will things improve?

cindasana Newbie

To the OP: If you can locate any pastured organic meat where you are, it would be a great thing. No chemicals and, because the animals are eating what animals are supposed to eat (grass, not grain), they have appreciable levels of Omega 3 fats in them. Another nutritional powerhouse, which is also supposed to be strongly anti-inflammatory, is rapini/broccoli raab. The nutritional info for it can be seen here: Open Original Shared Link No B12, of course, but it's got pretty much everything else! :)

Archived