66 replies to this topic

#16 Kjas

Kjas

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:30 AM

Wow this sounds familiar. You sound like me a couple of months ago. The only difference seems to be that I react to different food than you.

I also react to things in most meat and dairy products. I had to go to pasture fed and organic meat, poultry and dairy produce and wild seafood or game. It cleared up a number of issues for me. It is very expensive, but it's worth the difference in how I feel. If you can find a good butcher who sells these, I would be ordering in advance and making that once a month trip, and getting a bigger freezer if you need to.

I'm wondering how long she asked you to cut out meat and animal products if she knows you already have nutritional deficiencies? If it's any longer than I month, I would be ignoring that part. Vegan diets have been shown to cause nutritional deficiencies that can affect brain function in the long term. When your body's already in the state it's in I wouldn't want to be adding an more stress to it like that.

I was an avid coffee lover before, I had to give that up also. God do I miss it on my bad days. I've adjusted to it quite well considering, although if a really good blend is offered to me when I'm at a decent cafe, I still can't say no although that's rare now. You will get used to it and it won't seem so bad. You will also enjoy the coffee a hell of a lot more when you do have it.

Elimination diet does sound like the way to go in your case. I can't really fault her advice so far except for the above and obviously, the wheatgrass she gave you.

p.s. Have you thought about trying coconut ice cream to make the transition easier? Or making your own if you can't find something in store that doesn't react with you? Little comforts can make all the difference on your bad days.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,747 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:42 AM

Doing a STRICT elimination diet was the single hardest thing( dietary ) I have ever had to do. In my case it was a last resort and was extremely productive.

I do agree it is hard. Without one though I would have never been diagnosed. My allergist also said my system was in hyperdrive. I was reacting to everything, 98 out of 99 things he skin tested me for, and after I healed only 3 of the allergies and one other intolerance remains.
My doctor set up the diet a bit different though. Instead of giving me a long list of foods I couldn't eat he set up a starting point with only 5 foods that I rarely ate. (read this to mean I couldn't stand any of them :blink: ) He made sure the starting point was well balanced calorie and nutrient wise. I found it easier with someone to give me a definate starting point. Perhaps a consultation with a dietian (SP?) might be helpful or even an allergist who also deals with food intolerances? Those allergists can be hard to find so ask if they do before setting up an appointment.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#18 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:33 AM

And you know what else? I'm NOT giving up my coffee!! If I stop for three weeks I may not be able to handle it when I add it back, and I'm not going to take that chance. I LOVE coffee! I thank God, literally, every morning when I take that first sip. Coffee to me is one of the things that makes life worth living. Out of all the things I have ever eaten or drank, coffee is my number one favorite. So I may cut back a little, but I won't go below two cups a day.

Cigs, well that's another story. I've been threatening to quit for a long time and I really do want to. I think after I get used to all of these dietary changes I'll give it another shot. I know I don't have the willpower to do it all at once.

Amen to that about the coffee! :D It's my reason to get up in the morning!

I think you have a handle on things now and are making wise choices. Diet first, then worry about the cigs later. You want to come out of this alive and well so baby steps, baby steps! ;)

#19 Aly1

Aly1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:38 AM

I am a self-diagnosed Celiac, based on family history, my symptoms, and the fact that the gluten free diet got rid of those symptoms. And then the other intolerances hit. It's pretty hard not to get corned - it's in everything,even whole foods like potatoes, bagged salads, and a lot of other things. And because I have this jaw problem (as yet undiagnosed by any of the dozen or so doctors and dentists I have seen), I had been "corning" myself with painkillers.

Hi,

I've recently discovered I have a real problem with corn too, so I need to ask, how is it in potatoes? And have you found painkillers that don't have any?

Thanks!

#20 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,489 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:57 AM

Aly, all veggies give off ethylene gas when they age. What they do is gas the potatoes with ethylene gas (that is derived from corn) to fool the potatoes into "thinking" they have already aged past the point of sprouting.

The only painkiller I ever found that didn't have corn or gluten is BC Aspirin powder. Then I found out I am allergic to aspirin. (That was one of the worst reactions I have ever had to anything!) So I had my doctor write a prescription for Tylenol made at a compounding pharmacy without gluten/corn/soy. It cost 35 dollars for 200 capsules. That's more than in the store, but not too bad. And I went to the free clinic for that prescription so I wouldn't have to pay for an office visit.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#21 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,135 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:24 PM

I agree with the idea of doing a simpler diet for a while. Actually for life is not a bad idea IMHO. Regarding corn and potatoes, it seems like you could just wash the potatoes and get rid of anything on the outside. It's a good idea to wash fruits and veggies from the store anyway before cooking them. It may not be corn on the potatoes you are reacting too though. Potatoes are in the nightshade family and have alkaloids in them that can cause reactions. Tomatoes and peppers are also nightshades. People used to think tomatoes were poisonous, but we are smarter than that now? Maybe not. Anyway, some people do react to nightshades so they might be part of the problem.

not eating meat seems like a bad idea to me. You can get lots of protein from meat that you might have hard time getting on a vegan diet. I am not saying it's impossible, just harder.

I had to give up all caffeine, not just coffee. But I do drink herbal teas and like them just fine.

Do you like grapefruit? The pink grapefruit are pretty good and they may help improve absorption of some vitamins. On the other hand they say to be careful of eating grapefruit if you are on some medications because they can increase absorption too much.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#22 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,489 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:09 PM

The nutritionist wants me to stay away from citrus fruit for a few weeks. Turns out there are a lot of people who have trouble with citrus. I was talking to a lady at the grocery store last week who gets severe digestive symptoms from citrus of any kind.

I don't think you can wash off or peel away the ethylene from the potatoes. For a while I was peeling them really thickly and I still reacted. Tomatoes don't bother me at all. Of course I don't LIKE tomatoes, but I have had them without getting a reaction so I assume I can eat nightshades.

The vegan diet thing is not forever, just for three weeks. She thinks my system will settle down by then. In the meantime, if I'm not mistaken, quinoa is supposed to contain complete protein. Now that I've passed the avocado test, quinoa is next on my list to try.

#23 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:25 PM

Corn reactions from ethylene gas? :blink: I don't think I'm ever going to complain about gluten being sneaky again. That's ridiculously difficult to deal with.

I think you'll be fine low-protein for three weeks. You're not talking about a lifelong change. Once you get lentils in you can have lentils and rice for complete protein. So you know - I find lentils and split peas much easier to digest than other beans. You might look at the SCD list and try the SCD-legal legumes first because SCD foods tend to be pretty digestible. :)

#24 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,489 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:38 PM

Thanks (once again!) Skylark, for your helpful advice! I checked out the list and it makes a lot of sense to me. And from what I've heard about quinoa, I have a feeling I might not like it. I know it must be rinsed very well before cooking, but they say it has a soapy taste. If I don't like it I'll do the lentils and rice instead.

You know what really surprises me? I'm not hungry all the time like I thought I'd be. I think it's the avocados that are making this easy. Before, no matter how much of my rice/meat/veggie mixture I would eat, my body was screaming at me to eat more. I think there is something in the avocados that my body has been crying out for.

The other thing that surprises me is how easy this is. Maybe because I'm getting used to not eating anything I want to. I've been gluten/corn/soy free now for eight months and it doesn't bother me one bit when people bring cookies and pies into the shop. I guess I've been in training for giving up meat! That and knowing there might be a light at the end of the tunnel are good motivators I guess.

#25 Lori2

Lori2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:12 PM

I haven't read everything closely, so perhaps someone has already mentioned this. If you decide to continue drinking coffee, be sure to check it for flavorings. The flavoring in my coffee was a problem for me.

#26 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,489 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:41 PM

Thanks Lori, but I drink my coffee black. I hate flavored coffee so much I won't let anyone use it in my coffee maker here at the shop because the flavor gets into the plastic and you can never get it out. I won't grind my beans at the grocery store for the same reason. Of course at home I use a French press, and it makes the very best tasting coffee ever.

I only had two cups this morning though. I'm proud of me. :)

#27 Lori2

Lori2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:53 PM

I drink my coffee black, too, but the French Vanilla Almond flavorings in the coffee got me. However, my coffee was ground. Perhaps whole beans do not come with flavorings.

#28 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:52 PM

Thanks (once again!) Skylark, for your helpful advice! I checked out the list and it makes a lot of sense to me. And from what I've heard about quinoa, I have a feeling I might not like it. I know it must be rinsed very well before cooking, but they say it has a soapy taste. If I don't like it I'll do the lentils and rice instead.

Glad the lists helped! The SCD lists are really useful for tummy trouble as long as you can eat fructose. As far as quinoa, Bob's Red Mill quinoa is pre-rinsed with no bitter taste at all. I like it better cooked in broth rather than water and you can dice up an onion in it. (I used to throw in a can of tomatoes but I don't tolerate them now.)

You know what really surprises me? I'm not hungry all the time like I thought I'd be. I think it's the avocados that are making this easy. Before, no matter how much of my rice/meat/veggie mixture I would eat, my body was screaming at me to eat more. I think there is something in the avocados that my body has been crying out for.

That would be fat. :) Once I lost cheese I had to track down some richer snacks. Once your food list is less restricted, olives and olive oil are really good, or you can bake with lots of yummy coconut oil. I eat a lot of nuts too but I imagine it will be a while until you try those.

#29 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,489 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:50 PM

The nutritionist suggested coconut oil and I bought some but haven't added it to my diet yet. Does it TASTE like coconut when you cook with it? I ask because when I was three years old, Mom was making a cake and had coconut out that she was going to put on the frosting. She had her back to me while she was mixing the cake and I ate that whole box of coconut. Then I proceeded to purge the coconut. :blink: A lot. Ever since then I have never even had the desire to eat the stuff.

But I guess I will if I have to. :unsure:

#30 Chad Sines

Chad Sines

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:03 PM

In my experience most nutritionists simple parrot what they heard in school and fail to accept anything that challenges that view. I am not saying this is one of them; however, I think we put too much stock in their opinions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: