66 replies to this topic

#46 UKGail

UKGail

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:12 AM

Hi. I hope you are feeling better today after your meal. You have such a lot to deal with at the moment, I admire how you are putting your friend first when you are in equal need of support. However please do take every possible minute to rest and eat that you can squeeze out of your day. I'd bring over something for you to eat if I were a bit closer to Black Hills...(had to look that up on google, it does look beautiful!)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#47 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:40 AM

Good morning my friends!

The hot dogs didn't work. About two hours after I ate them my stomach took a flop. I left work early because I was afraid I would lose them pretty fast in one way or another. I ALMOST vomited, and I ALMOST had D. Lots of burping and gas pains. I'm not sure if it was something in them I shouldn't have had, or maybe it was just that they were too spicey. I'm thinking it was the spices because I have no new psoriasis today.

But this morning I cooked a steak and a great big organic yam. I'll have that with some organic broccoli. The yam is my new test. Last time I ate them I reacted badly with emergency D. Maybe this one will be OK because it's organic. It would be nice if I could eat them again. They are so nutritious and I really like them. Heck, if I could eat yams and meat and broccoli, cauliflower and carrots, plus bananas and avocados and cheese and eggs, that would be a well balanced diet, wouldn't it?

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#48 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:05 PM

Heck, if I could eat yams and meat and broccoli, cauliflower and carrots, plus bananas and avocados and cheese and eggs, that would be a well balanced diet, wouldn't it?

Better than the SAD ( standard American diet ) :P

I hope the yams are safe for you :D

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#49 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:48 PM

Boy, you can't catch a break at all. I do hope the yams work for you.

#50 xraylady65

xraylady65

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:54 PM

I was reading about your B12.. not finding it sublingual... i just went to look at mine as I am a newbie of this gluten free diet... mine is from sundown and it says no artificial flavor, no preservatives, no sugar, no starch, no milk, no lactose, no soy, no gluten, no yeast, no fish and sodium free,,,, hope this helps

#51 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:49 PM

I think the yams worked. It's been about five hours since I had some for lunch and so far so good. And what a difference in taste! These organic yams are so sweet and they don't have a bit of the pumpkin-y taste.

XrayLady, thanks for the tip and welcome to the board! Actually the Sundown products all have corn in them somewhere. Corn is hard to find by reading the label because it doesn't have to be listed if it is used in processing. Even the guy at the healthfood store couldn't find anything in his catalogues that didn't have corn.

And DANG! I forgot to leave a piece of steak under my tongue today. :lol: I just swallowed it all right away. Tasted pretty good too.

Can you tell I'm in a better mood today? Your support has helped so much! Now, it's almost time to go to Kelly's. I hope SHE has had a better day today too.

#52 tom

tom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:54 PM

3 cheers for yams!
>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03
Dairy-free since 10-04
Soy-free since 5-07

#53 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 03:56 AM

I think the yams worked. It's been about five hours since I had some for lunch and so far so good. And what a difference in taste! These organic yams are so sweet and they don't have a bit of the pumpkin-y taste.

XrayLady, thanks for the tip and welcome to the board! Actually the Sundown products all have corn in them somewhere. Corn is hard to find by reading the label because it doesn't have to be listed if it is used in processing. Even the guy at the healthfood store couldn't find anything in his catalogues that didn't have corn.

And DANG! I forgot to leave a piece of steak under my tongue today. :lol: I just swallowed it all right away. Tasted pretty good too.

Can you tell I'm in a better mood today? Your support has helped so much! Now, it's almost time to go to Kelly's. I hope SHE has had a better day today too.

Glad the yams and steak are sitting well. Maybe the hot dogs, even though bison were just too greasy for your system. If the yams set well stick with them for a few days with your steak or perhaps a chicken breast. Do try to avoid any processed stuff organic or not. Single ingredients right now are the way to go.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#54 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:42 AM

Do try to avoid any processed stuff organic or not. Single ingredients right now are the way to go.

Great words of wisdom my friend :)

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#55 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:47 AM

Here I am the next day to report that the yams DEFINITELY WORKED!! Hehehehe. I never thought the idea of eating a baked yam could make me so happy. I had a ricecake banana and Cabot extra sharp cheddar for breakfast today. More steak yam and broccoli for lunch and supper later today.

I have worked out a plan of sorts. If I go to Safeway once every two weeks, I should be able to buy enough organic produce to get through. If the organic white potatoes work (those will be the next thing I try), I can get two bags of those, half a dozen yams, some organic broccoli, cauliflower and carrots which I can freeze, and whatever I need in the way of oils and other extras.

The healthfood store here has ground bison. If I get two pounds of that a week and then get my chicken at the "Meat Locker", that should cover the meats. The Meat Locker is a local slaughterhouse. I don't like their beef. It all just tastes funny to me. But they have these gigantic chicken breasts that are "air chilled". They taste like the chickens we used to raise in the backyard when I was a kid. I had almost forgotten what chicken is supposed to taste like.

The only thing I'll have to get for produce locally (which means non-organic) is bananas and avocados, but I'm thinking that with their thick skins they should be OK.

And who knows, maybe someday I'll be able to eat salads and make things like that chocolate mug cake mentioned in another thread.

I was feeling so hopeless for a couple of days there, and today I feel hopeFUL. And all because of the lowly yam. :)

#56 Sparky10

Sparky10

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 03:08 PM

Thanks, Raven. I think the wheatgrass supplement was something she threw out there because I've been worrying about getting enough nutrition. I'm not going to risk it though. I know that I won't die of malnutrition in three weeks, so although I'm sure I'll be really hungry during all this, I think I can do it.

I've been cutting back on coffee lately anyway. I'm down from five or six (small) cups a day to just three. That IS going to be the hardest part, even harder than the cigs, but it'll be good for me so I'll do it.

I'm going to miss my nightly ice cream. Just knowing I could have a treat when I went home each night made all the rest so much easier to bear. She said I need to replace it with a different treat. She suggested I make a smoothie with a banana and some frozen blueberries. I LOVE blueberries but have been afraid to try them. I guess now I will. Avacado for the next couple of days, quinoa after that, and the blueberries will be next. I sure hope I can tolerate them because even though I eat bananas every day for the potassium, AND because they are one of the few foods I don't react to, I really don't LIKE bananas. It would be so nice to have a different kind of fruit.

I want to send a warning about avocados....I love them, but found that they are very flatulent and since that's one of my main problems (gas, gas and more gas) I cut out advocados and bananas as well, also a highly flatulent food! Damn, what can I eat anymore, this is ridiculous!

#57 Sparky10

Sparky10

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 03:13 PM

Are yams in the nightshade family?

#58 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 03:50 PM

Hi Sparky. No, as far as I know the nightshades are tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, and white potato. I don't think yams are related.

The avocados didn't give me gas and bananas don't either. But everyone is different. I can't figure out why leafy greens give me D - they shouldn't bother me at all, but they do.

You sound as frustrated as I have been lately and I see you are new to the site. What is it you're eating, and which foods bother you? Even though I saw the nutritionist, I have gotten more help, good information, and support from the folks on this board. People like Skylark, Mushroom, KarenG, RavenWoodGlass, and a host of others are probably more "expert" at this than any nutritionist with a PHD.

So fire away and let us know what you're eating /not eating. Tell us your symptoms. We'll help you.

#59 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:01 PM

I want to send a warning about avocados....I love them, but found that they are very flatulent and since that's one of my main problems (gas, gas and more gas) I cut out advocados and bananas as well, also a highly flatulent food! Damn, what can I eat anymore, this is ridiculous!

Well, don't eat beans. A little ditty oft repeated to me:

Beans, beans, the musical fruit
The more you eat the more you toot
The more you toot the better you feel
So eat your beans at every meal.

:lol:

Now, I often feel better after tooting, but I'm not going to eat beans so I can enjoy the experience :D Because those around me don't enjoy it so much :P

I know this doesn't help your problem but thought it might make you smile at least.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#60 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:57 PM

Are yams in the nightshade family?

Nope. I just had to look that up because I'm reacting to nightshades. Most of the orange tubers sold in the US as yams are sweet potatoes, and they are in the morning glory family (Convolvulaceae). True yams are botanically very distinct and are in the yam family (Dioscoreaceae). After reading about them and looking at pictures I don't know that I've ever had a yam; I think I've only had various varieties of sweet potatoes.

I'm so glad you've found another food, Bartful! I wonder, is the beef at that butcher that tastes funny to you grass-fed? It took me a while to get used to grass-fed beef.

I wonder what's going on with the greens? That's a real head-scratcher. Spinach is notorious for pesticide residues. Do organic greens make you sick too?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: