4 replies to this topic

#1 lcpelletier

lcpelletier

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:13 PM

I'm new to gluten free baking and having problems making my cookies rise. I don't expect them to look exactly like regular cookies, but I don't want wafers, either. Yes, I always check my baking powder for freshness. I'd appreciate any guidance anyone can offer. I'd like to be able to treat my celiac friends once and a while. I was using one of Robin Rybergs' cookbooks.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Mizzo

Mizzo

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:51 PM

my experience with that is to freeze the cookie dough on the cookie sheet for about 15 minutes and then cook them.

I think the fat/oil ratio in the dough is too high and that makes it spread too much ( correct me if I am wrong folks) .

#3 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,827 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:59 PM

lc, could you please post the recipe you used? Then we'll pick it apart for ya. :D
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#4 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:06 PM

If the cookies are spreading too much, then you can do any of the following:

Refrigerate the dough (like previously mentioned)
Add a bit more flour
Reduce the amount of butter/oil

Refrigerating the dough works great for me . . . you just have to plan for that extra time. Sometimes it works to your advantage to make the dough one day and then the cookies the next. If I don't have time to let the dough sit in the fridge (for say an hour or so), I will bake just a couple of cookies to see if the dough is spreading too much and add a little more flour to the remaining dough if it is.

Most of my gluten free baking comes from recipes that I have converted from gluten-full to gluten-free. When I was learning to do that, I came across somewhere in my research that gluten free baking does better when it has about twice the leavening called for in the recipe, split between b.powder and b.soda. I couldn't tell you where I saw that but it's been working well for me. So my former choc chip cookie recipe used 1 tsp of baking soda. My current choc chip cookie recipe has 1 tsp of b. soda and 1 tsp of b. powder. I'm not familiar with the cook book you are using so I don't know if they do this or not. I also double the amount of vanilla because I think the basic flour replacements (rice flour/tapioca starch/potato starch) don't have much flavor.
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#5 smwalsh

smwalsh

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:13 PM

I'm new to gluten free baking and having problems making my cookies rise. I don't expect them to look exactly like regular cookies, but I don't want wafers, either. Yes, I always check my baking powder for freshness. I'd appreciate any guidance anyone can offer. I'd like to be able to treat my celiac friends once and a while. I was using one of Robin Rybergs' cookbooks.

i add cold milled golden flax seed to recipe and then it rises 1/4 cup is fine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: