6 replies to this topic

#1 BarryC

BarryC

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:33 PM

I am pretty convinced that one of the things gluten does is make you more susceptable to alcoholism, which runs in my family. I think the damage it does to your intestines also magnifies the effects. Of course if you have problems with booze stay away.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:40 PM

I am pretty convinced that one of the things gluten does is make you more susceptable to alcoholism, which runs in my family. I think the damage it does to your intestines also magnifies the effects. Of course if you have problems with booze stay away.

Excess alcohol use for an extended period of time can destroy your villi, in just the same way that gluten can.

Or rather malnourishment due to alcoholism can destroy your villi.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:03 PM

I'm not sure how it all works but I do know that once my gut was compromised due to gluten the alcohol seemed to make more of an inpact on my body. I have always been a lightweight while people I know could handle quite a bit, yet I am the one that is effected. What I do realize is how damaging alcohol can be to your system and while I don't completely avoid it, I do have to be very careful.
Yesterday is not ours to recover but today is ours to win or lose!

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

#4 revenant

revenant

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:42 PM

glutenous grains are also one of the things that feed candida the most, candida is a yeast that lives in the digestive tract especially the intestines, it lives by fermenting the sugars from your blood stream. If there are sugar imbalances in the blood then candida will overpopulate in the intestines and actually produce alcohol and acetaldehyde (by product of alcohol metabolism) making you very prone to alcohol addiction. When candida takes on it's fungal form, it forms little stringes that actually puncture your intestine and leave little holes into your blood stream, and some suspect that this is the cause of 'leaky gut syndrome'. I had a candida fungal infection on the sides of my lip and could see the actual strands of bacteria puncturing my skin so I totally believe this personally. It is pretty well proven that candida makes people suspectable to alcoholism and that alcoholics usually have candida or blood sugar issues (these two come together)because candida can feed off of alcohol and because people with candida have already been producing alcohol in their bodies for so long on a daily basis that it is already an addiction and they strongly crave it. It could be that people who are gluten intolerant are more at risk of having candida and thus more suspectable to alcoholism.

#5 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:12 AM

glutenous grains are also one of the things that feed candida the most, candida is a yeast that lives in the digestive tract especially the intestines, it lives by fermenting the sugars from your blood stream. If there are sugar imbalances in the blood then candida will overpopulate in the intestines and actually produce alcohol and acetaldehyde (by product of alcohol metabolism) making you very prone to alcohol addiction. When candida takes on it's fungal form, it forms little stringes that actually puncture your intestine and leave little holes into your blood stream, and some suspect that this is the cause of 'leaky gut syndrome'. I had a candida fungal infection on the sides of my lip and could see the actual strands of bacteria puncturing my skin so I totally believe this personally. It is pretty well proven that candida makes people suspectable to alcoholism and that alcoholics usually have candida or blood sugar issues (these two come together)because candida can feed off of alcohol and because people with candida have already been producing alcohol in their bodies for so long on a daily basis that it is already an addiction and they strongly crave it. It could be that people who are gluten intolerant are more at risk of having candida and thus more suspectable to alcoholism.

Very interesting! Besides have a fungal infection on the sides of your lips, did you ahve any other signs?

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

#6 revenant

revenant

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:49 PM

Very interesting! Besides have a fungal infection on the sides of your lips, did you ahve any other signs?

Yes, I have that infection (angular chelitis) and also life interrupting anxiety and depression, fatigue, bloating/gas, athlete's foot, thrush (white tongue coating), sugar cravings, no sex drive, irritability/anger, dry skin and dandruff, bad body odour, and some other little things.

After reading the symptoms and suspecting it as the cause (link at the bottom), the best test is going on the candida diet (very low carb, basically only vegetables, meat, soaked nuts and seeds) and seeing if you have any "die off" symptoms in a week or two of doing that strictly. Die off is when the bacteria starve because there is no sugar in the blood stream to feed them and upon death they release the neurotoxins they are composed of, which are eliminated through your blood and hence you feel the effects of them. This lasts something around 1-8 weeks depending on how strict you are about your diet (closer to 2 weeks if you eat no high carb sources). Symptoms of die off are a temporary increase in your symptoms, things like cold sweats, hot flashes, insomnia, nauseau (sometimes vomiting), more intense thrush and yeast infections, intense cravings for sugar/alcohol, extreme weakness, sweating, insomnia, nightmares, body odour, anxiety, depression. It will feel like you have the flu basically. Once you're through that, you start to rebuild your healthy bacteria with probiotics, you begin to feel better than you did before (and normally as good as you did when you were 20, a teenager, or a child depending on how old you are now)

You can then rest assured that a lot of your ailments may be due to candida and they could very realistically be resolved by sticking to the diet for around 3 months.

I hope that wasn't more information than you wanted to know, I hope a lot of people who read this will take this into consideration, candida is a common underlying cause for anxiety, depression, mood swings, alcoholism, and some (including myself) suspect food intolerances.

I couldn't find the questionnaire that my naturopath gave me, but here is a really good Candida questionnaire where you can see some of the symptoms of candida alibicans overgrowth:
http://www.soulhealer.com/yeast.htm

#7 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:40 AM

Yes, I have that infection (angular chelitis) and also life interrupting anxiety and depression, fatigue, bloating/gas, athlete's foot, thrush (white tongue coating), sugar cravings, no sex drive, irritability/anger, dry skin and dandruff, bad body odour, and some other little things.

After reading the symptoms and suspecting it as the cause (link at the bottom), the best test is going on the candida diet (very low carb, basically only vegetables, meat, soaked nuts and seeds) and seeing if you have any "die off" symptoms in a week or two of doing that strictly. Die off is when the bacteria starve because there is no sugar in the blood stream to feed them and upon death they release the neurotoxins they are composed of, which are eliminated through your blood and hence you feel the effects of them. This lasts something around 1-8 weeks depending on how strict you are about your diet (closer to 2 weeks if you eat no high carb sources). Symptoms of die off are a temporary increase in your symptoms, things like cold sweats, hot flashes, insomnia, nauseau (sometimes vomiting), more intense thrush and yeast infections, intense cravings for sugar/alcohol, extreme weakness, sweating, insomnia, nightmares, body odour, anxiety, depression. It will feel like you have the flu basically. Once you're through that, you start to rebuild your healthy bacteria with probiotics, you begin to feel better than you did before (and normally as good as you did when you were 20, a teenager, or a child depending on how old you are now)

You can then rest assured that a lot of your ailments may be due to candida and they could very realistically be resolved by sticking to the diet for around 3 months.

I hope that wasn't more information than you wanted to know, I hope a lot of people who read this will take this into consideration, candida is a common underlying cause for anxiety, depression, mood swings, alcoholism, and some (including myself) suspect food intolerances.

I couldn't find the questionnaire that my naturopath gave me, but here is a really good Candida questionnaire where you can see some of the symptoms of candida alibicans overgrowth:
http://www.soulhealer.com/yeast.htm

Thank you very much, definately not too much info and I appreciate you explaining. I have recently looked into this because of continued issues I have had. I actually have started cutting out my carbs and sugar and did get the intense cravings for sugar like you mentioned. So during this time though you did not take a probiotic.....and wanted until you completed the phase to clear the candida, is this correct?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: