Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Soybean Oil - How Avoid In Restaurants?

10 posts in this topic

I've avoided soy for about 10 months now and am testing it out. Apparently, soybean oil gives me a lovely stomach ache (day 1, so not sure how long this'll last - just hoping the big C won't be too bad when it shows up next).

I know Chipotle uses it in most of their food. Any other restaurants to definitely avoid? Or types of restaurants/food to avoid? Or items that are generally safe? I don't eat out much, but I'm traveling soon. On trips, I usually make most of my food and only eat out once or twice. I tend to go to places that are high end since I think they're safer (another reason to only eat out once or twice!!). Or Five Guys burgers.

Thanks!

Sharon

Ads by Google:

Actually, if you stick with natural foods and avoid salad dressings (except oil and vinegar), you should be fine. I didn't realize that Chipotle uses soybean oil. Where is it found in their food?

Actually, if you stick with natural foods and avoid salad dressings (except oil and vinegar), you should be fine.

Actually, I believe that the oil that restaurants use for salads is olive oil. I'm highly sensitive to soy and soybean oil, and I have NEVER had a problem with the oil and vinegar in restaurants. I can't imagine that any restaurant would offer soybean or vegetable oil to a patron with who has asked for oil and vinegar for a salad.

OMG! I have no idea that they used so much soybean oil! Guess I won't be patronizing them anymore. Thanks for the info!

Most restaurants use soybean oil. So good luck with that!

I can't imagine that any restaurant would offer soybean or vegetable oil to a patron with who has asked for oil and vinegar for a salad.

The restaurant I use to work part time for did.

So unless you give me an unopened bottle of olive oil I do not trust a restaurant(any restaurant) not to use vegetable oil (soy oil)

I love this part :angry:

""The only soy-derived ingredient is highly refined soybean oil, excluded as a major food allergen. ""

I do not understand how they can say it is not a major food allergen. It is still soy oil no matter how "highly refined " it is!!!!

I understand this is a MAJOR loop hole in the government ( US) regulation :angry: but for those of us that react, no matter how highly refined, it is frustrating !!

Good question. I've been thinking about this. Chili's has a soy allergy menu. I would have to double check but I am thinking their salmon may have soy oil.