7 replies to this topic

#1 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:40 AM

Someone in my local support group posted about this.
I apologize if it has already been posted here recently. I did a search and didn't find anything.

Generally we think of tea as gluten free. On the Tazo tea website, in the FAQ's it states:

"All of our teas are gluten-free except for the following: Green Ginger, Tazo Honeybush, Lemon Ginger and Tea Lemonade."

I didn't see anything in the ingredients which would indicate gluten, so I thought I should post about it.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,159 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:58 AM

Someone in my local support group posted about this.
I apologize if it has already been posted here recently. I did a search and didn't find anything.

Generally we think of tea as gluten free. On the Tazo tea website, in the FAQ's it states:

"All of our teas are gluten-free except for the following: Green Ginger, Tazo Honeybush, Lemon Ginger and Tea Lemonade."

I didn't see anything in the ingredients which would indicate gluten, so I thought I should post about it.

Those are flavored tea's so that is why they may not be gluten free. Their regular black and green tea are gluten free.

#3 modiddly16

modiddly16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:35 AM

What the...I've been drinking Starbucks' green tea lemonades for years and never noticed any type of reaction. This is heartbreaking for me.

#4 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,159 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:53 AM

What the...I've been drinking Starbucks' green tea lemonades for years and never noticed any type of reaction. This is heartbreaking for me.

Modiddly....don't panic yet! I also like the green tea/lemonade drinks at Bucky's and I have never had any type of reaction to them at all, which would not happen if they contained gluten. I am just too sensitive a Celiac.

The above info is confusing because Tazo makes a bottled green tea lemonade drink which is the one that is not gluten-free. The drink made in their stores I have watched them do many times and it is plain tea (green or black) mixed with lemonade. They do not use the bottled mix. I called Starbucks a couple of times on this and got them to read the ingredients list to me on the lemonade. It has just a few ingredients....water, sugar, and lemon oil.
That looks safe to me and as I drink the Grande size in the summer, there is no way I would not get deathly ill. Between calling them and getting the ingredients list and not reacting the least bit, I think you can safely have one without fear. :D

#5 modiddly16

modiddly16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:54 AM

oh thank heavens! I seriously have like 4 a week some weeks if I'm travelling and I feel like I would've definitely noticed. Thank you :)

#6 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:03 PM

I'm so sorry that my link didn't work so that you could have seen that for yourself.

Here's the correct one:

For some reason when it is posted it puts those [media] things in there. Take them out and it will go to the website.

#7 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:39 PM

Trust your reactions.

I've posted about this before when they mistakenly gave me the wrong flavor tea, and I was pretty indignant over it. But I've reacted enough to a few of their other mixed warm drinks that I have concluded it is better for me to avoid this company in my retail area of my state, because we could not resolve what was giving me a migraine after going over all the ingredients. I did drink a plain decaf coffee at a ski area about 2 years ago, because I was really cold, and was okay, but this was after grilling the barristas over what they were doing with it, and I wasn't driving - otherwise, I need to not risk this.

I'm happy that Tazo brand is disclosing, but seriously wonder why they can't get rid of the gluten in the tea. :huh:

#8 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,159 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:59 PM

Trust your reactions.

I've posted about this before when they mistakenly gave me the wrong flavor tea, and I was pretty indignant over it. But I've reacted enough to a few of their other mixed warm drinks that I have concluded it is better for me to avoid this company in my retail area of my state, because we could not resolve what was giving me a migraine after going over all the ingredients. I did drink a plain decaf coffee at a ski area about 2 years ago, because I was really cold, and was okay, but this was after grilling the barristas over what they were doing with it, and I wasn't driving - otherwise, I need to not risk this.

I'm happy that Tazo brand is disclosing, but seriously wonder why they can't get rid of the gluten in the tea. :huh:

Starbucks success with allergies depends heavily on their employee's. I usually go to the same stores and they have been great. I only drink one of 2 drinks there so have never had a problem in 7 years. I think the only tea's that are of concern with Tazo are the herbal and flavored ones. I don't like either so sticking with plain black and green tea works for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: