This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Disney

reatonus

reatonus Newbie

Does anyone know how well Disney World handles gluten free people. My wife says they will cook gluten free meals on request. I've only been gluten free for a week and I'm affraid to eat anywhere but home. I can't imagine going on vacation right now. this is the hardess thing i have ever delt with in my life. i'm always hungry just can't seem to get full.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tgrahek Newbie

I don't think you could find anywhere better to go right now than Disney. They take gluten free very seriously and you will have more food than you know what to do with!

It may be just the boost you need to know that this will all be okay.

lovegrov Collaborator

Disney is great. Talk to the dietary department. Pretty much every restaurant knows how to handle it but it's even better if they know ahead of time. And the reason you're so hungry is that your body is trying to recover from being denied nutrients.

richard

mamaw Community Regular

Disney is the very best place to visit ! Go to the Disney site & bring up special diets...Plus they have a number to contact them..We have always found the meal plan is the best . We did our homework & made choices several months before going , made reservations & called each place in the morning to let them have a frioedly reminder we would be there for supper gluten-free..There were four of us gluten-free & four reg eaters. Always perfect... Read through some of the older posts , lots of excellent tips...

Doing your homework ahead of time gives you more time to enjoy Disney without worrying about where you can find gluten-free food..If you get the meal plan & don't use it all , on your last day buy gluten-free things you can take home with you...brownies, cupcakes, turkey legs & so on.....

Duhlina Apprentice

Does anyone know how well Disney World handles gluten free people. My wife says they will cook gluten free meals on request.

Just came back last week from a week at Disney and they were FANTASTIC with gluten free requests. Everywhere we went they asked when we went in if any of us had any food allergies. I have celiac, my husband has diverticulitis (no seeds or nuts). The CHEF actually came right out to the table to go over the menu with us and told us what we could/couldn't have or what could be modified for us. We liked the San Angel Inn in Mexico (Epcot) so much we ate there three times!

Unfortunately, we didn't do so well with the no seeds/nuts request when we ate at the Rose & Crown (UK in Epcot). Chef came out, told hubby what he could have (he wanted a reuben sandwich). When it came out he took a few bites, looked at the bread and said he thought it had seeds in it. Sure enough, it did. The manager could not do enough for us! They comped our meal, gave us Fast Passes for the day, loaded hubby up with bottles of water (that's what the doctor said to do...drink as much as possible to help push the seeds through) and were going to call emergency services, but really there was nothing they could do so we told them no.

Overall, Disney was FANTASTIC for gluten free!

• 2 weeks later...
CeliacAndCfsCrusader Apprentice

One experience with Disney Character Breakfast in Hawaii, a relaxing and delicious meal. Chef made it happen!

Google and the search function here has lots of info.

Be put at ease, you'll be well taken care of (but do advance planning for sure).

It's not easy...but it DOES get easier! Best of luck.

Skylark Collaborator

Just came back from Disney World. They had Udi's buns in the burger joints and dedicated potato fryers. They have yummy smoked turkey drumsticks that are gluten-free too. I got gluten-free FISH AND CHIPS!!! at their Irish pub in Downtown Disney. They have a dedicated gluten-free fryer and the chef has worked out a great batter. Wolfgang Puck's had gluten-free pasta on the menu and even local restaurants around Disney seemed more gluten-aware than most. I had gluten-free ribs for lunch at Universal. I almost felt like a normal person again. :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived