8 replies to this topic

#1 Golden Girl

Golden Girl

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:31 AM

My iron level is low but I have a high B12 level. I don't have the actual numbers yet from the Dr. but I have started liquid iron Florivital with orange juice and I have been eating more foods with iron but I am still feeling drained, depressed and not sleeping well. I have been trying to stay away from sugar and grains using coconut flour and almond flour and no dairy. I do have to have coffee in the morning so I get moving. I am on a leave of absence from work because I have been so depressed and not able to concentrate (brain fog). I also have bloating and I am very irritable. I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease 3 years ago I had 3 mini strokes before the diagnosis. Could some of my issues be related to the mini strokes? Or what could I eat to make me have more energy and get my focus back? Any information would be helpful, I'm not sure my Dr. is very knowledgeable about Celiac. I have been thinking maybe it could be systematic Candida but my GI Dr. said no that it would have been seen when they did the upper GI. I desperately need help and want to feel better.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 AVR1962

AVR1962

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:32 AM

I would definately ask to see your lab results. I question the high B12.....is it high as in normal range high or hyper? That could make you sick there if your B12 is out of normal range but the question would then be, why is it that high?
Yesterday is not ours to recover but today is ours to win or lose!

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

#3 crimsonviolet

crimsonviolet

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:57 PM

I'd look into fructose malabsorption or SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth.) A hallmark seems to be low iron and high b12, and the bloating and fatigue fit with the typical symptoms.

#4 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 05:52 AM

I have low iron and high B12 as well. I thought it odd, because so many of us are low on B12?
Let us know if they find the cause of your symptoms?

#5 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,793 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 05:56 AM

May not be the case but are you taking a vitamin with folate? From what I have read (sorry don't have time to find the link) that can cause falsely high B12 readings.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#6 frieze

frieze

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:25 AM

the direct testing for B12 is questionable. Get tested for methylmalonic acid and homocysteine. Check out Same'

#7 Golden Girl

Golden Girl

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:09 PM

My iron level is low but I have a high B12 level. I don't have the actual numbers yet from the Dr. but I have started liquid iron Florivital with orange juice and I have been eating more foods with iron but I am still feeling drained, depressed and not sleeping well. I have been trying to stay away from sugar and grains using coconut flour and almond flour and no dairy. I do have to have coffee in the morning so I get moving. I am on a leave of absence from work because I have been so depressed and not able to concentrate (brain fog). I also have bloating and I am very irritable. I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease 3 years ago I had 3 mini strokes before the diagnosis. Could some of my issues be related to the mini strokes? Or what could I eat to make me have more energy and get my focus back? Any information would be helpful, I'm not sure my Dr. is very knowledgeable about Celiac. I have been thinking maybe it could be systematic Candida but my GI Dr. said no that it would have been seen when they did the upper GI. I desperately need help and want to feel better.

I called my Dr. to get my lab results:
iron 47
B12 1263
T4 Normal
TSH .27

I am not sure what the actual numbers should be.

#8 Ginger7

Ginger7

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:59 PM

Also note that b12 is absorbed in the latter part of intestine, the terminal ileum so one possible idea to throw out there is that celiac has caused damage in the duodenum or first part of intestine causing the low iron. The latter part of the intestine, terminal ileum may not be damaged and hence b12 is not low. What is the range of b12 given? Seems like that number might be right on the upper border or just over.
Also have you have ferritin tested which indicates stores of iron? Plus I agree with other post around b12 tests. Have you had endoscopy/colonoscopy done?

#9 Golden Girl

Golden Girl

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:48 AM

Also note that b12 is absorbed in the latter part of intestine, the terminal ileum so one possible idea to throw out there is that celiac has caused damage in the duodenum or first part of intestine causing the low iron. The latter part of the intestine, terminal ileum may not be damaged and hence b12 is not low. What is the range of b12 given? Seems like that number might be right on the upper border or just over.
Also have you have ferritin tested which indicates stores of iron? Plus I agree with other post around b12 tests. Have you had endoscopy/colonoscopy done?

I have had 2 endoscopies and 1 colonoscopy within the last 3 years. I forgot to mention I did go off of Prilosec I have been taking this over 2 years. I did read on a website about low stomach acid which can cause you to not absorb iron, I am going to mention this to my Dr. but I did start taking 3 times a day Betaine HCI. Today is my 2nd day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: