32 replies to this topic

#1 Meggielynn13

Meggielynn13

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:02 AM

I just started my journey 5 days ago and I feel like House when he's detoxing from vicodin. Nothing is making me feel better. I eat and I'm so tired because I haven't been eating nearly as much junk(bread,pasta,cookies,cake etc). I then take a nap for a little while, wake up and I'm starving and nothing gets rid of it. I've been eating fruit, veggies, rice, meat, salads, soup and anything else that is not processed Gluten Free foods. I did buy some of that stuff but at this point I know I'm better off not eating it because processed foods aren't that good for you and they probably don't taste as good as my favorites :).

I know its only been 5 days but I had a break down last night, I knew it was coming it was just a matter of when and where. I was shopping in walmart and I was so hungry that I couldn't see straight or think. All of the labels on the packages were blurry and couldn't even figure out what I wanted to eat because I was so hungry. My dad went with me and was like well why don't you eat these crackers, you said you just can't have bread right? UGH. That is another reason why I lost it last night. People just don't get it. I was so happy when I found out I came up positive on the DGP IgA test but now that I actually need to follow through with this lifestyle change I feel like I can't. I feel like it's a little soon for this to hit me but who knows, I guess it can happen at anytime. On top of it all I have bronchitis and I can't hear out of either of my ears so I'm going back and forth between fevers and chills from being sick and not being able to eat my yummy comfort food. I know this will pass but I am at a loss for what to do as I am a 24 year old who works full time and is taking 6 classes (18 credits) in school and trying to get into the Disney College Program. Hopefully some day I'll be okay but right now I'm lost and alone :(
Lactose Intolerant-2009
GERD, Hiatal Hernia and Gastritis-2011
GB removed-2011
Celiac positive DGP IgA-2012

Fatty Liver caused by Celiac/GB issues- 5/2012
Diagnosed with Celiac Disease "officially" after liver results came back normal from continuing gluten-free 11/2012

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:26 AM

Honey!

(hugs) You are NOT lost and alone. You just feel like crap.
To be sick with bronchitis on top of it makes it worse, I know. :(

Many of us had gluten withdrawal symptoms and they will pass. Keep hydrated.

I gave you that list of gluten-free comfort foods you CAN have -- so you can get through this hard time. Go to either of the two bakeries we discussed and get some things. They are both celiacs and can help you.

You have my phone number and email (and I do not do that liberally!!) I am right here! :)

hugs,
IH

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#3 Meggielynn13

Meggielynn13

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:32 AM

I just emailed you about 10 seconds ago :). I knew you were gonna reply to this though.
Lactose Intolerant-2009
GB removed-2011

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease "officially" after liver results came back normal from continuing gluten-free 11/2012

#4 Takala

Takala

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:33 AM

Eat more fats such as olive oil and coconut milk.

#5 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:26 AM

I felt like there was nothing I could eat at first too. It took a while for me to realize I was feeling that way because of my habit of eating certain foods was being interrupted. There were lots of alternatives but I just wasn't used to thinking of them as food. If it wasn't in a box ready for the microwave or at a fast food joint it wasn't something I would usually eat.

Remember you are not on the gluten-free diet to lose weight, but to heal your body. So you need lots of protein to help your body heal faster. you can eat as much chicken or hamburger or eggs or peanut butter or whatever as you want. There is no need to be hungry.

Maybe you could get some lemon-ginger tea and drink it with some stevia? Some people cheat and just add lemon juice to their tea, or powdered/grated ginger. I hope you feel better soon.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#6 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:34 AM

I just emailed you about 10 seconds ago :). I knew you were gonna reply to this though.

oh you did, did you? :lol: :lol:
You're right!
I told ya, kiddo, I'm here for ya.

To other members--she and I discovered we live pretty near each other! :)

See, hon--they are telling you everything I told you in that email--about good fats and plain foods.

It helps to hear it from lots of us, though!!

You're going to be all right, it's just rocky at first! :(

Okay, I'll check your email right now. hang tight, hon. REST today--curl up with a good book or some movies.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#7 Cathey

Cathey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:10 PM

Feel better Meg, it does get better with time. In a few months you'll look back on this time and it will be just a memory.
You will feel better, look better and have a better outlook. Please try and keep yourself hydrated and eat several little meals during the day. I know with your work, school and homework schedule your stressed as it is. Take care of you.

You've already educated yourself as to the whole foods and avoid processed ones.

Oh and in case you didn't know already, you have an Angel looking out for you, her name is Irish Heart.

Feel better.

#8 Meggielynn13

Meggielynn13

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:42 PM

Thanks Cathey! Irish Heart is the best. We actually live quite close, so it's nice to have someone near me that I can talk to. I'm hoping soon this will all pass and I know it takes time. I just happen to want the time to go by so I can feel better now :). I'm going to start carrying fruits, veggies and little snacks with me so I don't get too hungry or to the point I did last night. I never want to get back to that low again!
Lactose Intolerant-2009
GB removed-2011

#9 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 01:01 PM

I carried LaraBars with me the first few months. And bananas and apples. Baggies of nuts from nutsonline (safe/ gluten-free)

I could not each much at first, my GI tract was in flames :blink: and I had NO appetite. I made myself eat proteins--meat and chicken.
You need protein, hon.

You need WATER right now --so drink up! Probiotics to replenish your gut. (read the email I sent. I am a "pest" about probiotics but they are essential :lol: )

Rest up, you've been through a lot and your body is trying to re-boot itself.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#10 UKGail

UKGail

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:31 AM

Wow you seem to be doing everything right, and you are getting some really good advice from Irishheart and all the other posters above.

I know what you mean about being hungry all the time though - I went through a short phase of this too - and I am convinced it is your body telling you that it is ready for the healthy food that you are now giving it, and it wants to catch up with all the nutrients it had previously been missing while you were sick.

You might find yourself hungry until you find the balance of protein, healthy fats, veggies and good carbs that is right for you (and what is right for you now may not be the same as what is right for you in a year or so's time once you have fully recovered). I tend to lose weight when I am eating a strict version of what feels good for my body. I counteract this by chopping up into small pieces some of my starchy vegetables such as sweet potatoes, potatoes, beets, (can also be done with onions, carrots, squash, pumpkin, anything really) basting them in olive oil, maybe adding salt,garlic and some herbs, and baking them in the oven for 30-45 minutes. It tastes great and is very filling. I have to be careful with quantity when I do this as I find it difficult to digest too much fat, but it may not be the same for you.

I also find it helpful to have a couple of safe treats, something with as short an ingredient list as possible. My personal favourite is a bag of Thai sweet and spicy tortilla chips by R W Garcia.

#11 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:25 AM

I know what you mean about being hungry all the time though - I went through a short phase of this too - and I am convinced it is your body telling you that it is ready for the healthy food that you are now giving it, and it wants to catch up with all the nutrients it had previously been missing while you were sick.

You might find yourself hungry until you find the balance of protein, healthy fats, veggies and good carbs that is right for you (and what is right for you now may not be the same as what is right for you in a year or so's time once you have fully recovered).

Me, too---I went from not wanting to eat much of anything for two years because I was so sick and my entire GI tract was in flames-- to wanting to eat several times a day and then, I balanced out. And I agree completely with your thoughts here. :)

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#12 catsmeow

catsmeow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:47 AM

I wish Irish Heart lived near me.....you are a lucky girl! You have an angel on your side!

For my purse: My favorite protein bar is "Quest bars" I order them from their website or from vitamin Shoppe (free shipping). Those bars are delicious, gluten free, and provide 20 grams of protein. They are expensive, but worth it to me. I also like the Ostrim pepper flavored meat sticks, the pepper one is the only one that is gluten free. It provides 14 grams of protein. I get them at GNC, Cost plus, or smoothie king, HEB carries them too.

I remember the early days of feeling hungry and lost. It's so hard at first. But. it gets easier, and navigating the gluten free world becomes second nature after awhile.

Can you have dairy? Because you can make Mac and cheese, which is a comfort food. All you need is Tinkyada pasta and blue box velveeta cheese. I've also heard that the cheese packet in the kraft mac and cheese is gluten free. I've heard people just throw out the pasta and replace it with gluten-free pasta. I would be washing the outside of the packet though before opening to prevent cross contamination. I've also heard you can buy the cheese packets by themselves at Walmart. Anyone want to weigh in on this? I've never tried it though, because I make my own cheese sauce with veleveeta, or whatever cheese I happen to have.

I also like to salt and pepper chicken thighs with the skin on, stick them in the oven, in 35-45 minutes, you have juicy hot chicken.....so gooooood, so filling, and so comforting!
You've cat to be kitten me right meow

Wheat Allergy-April 2010
Gluten Intolerant-April 2010
Dairy/casien intolerant-Aug 2012
Lactose intolerant- Aug 2012
Soy Intolerant-November 2012
October 2012- I learned that I am 1/2 Irish with a strong family history of Gluten Intolerance/Celiacs. I will never know If I am Celiac because I will never eat gluten again in order to test postive, it's poison and I do not ever want to feel the way I felt before implementing the gluten free diet EVER again!!!

#13 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:58 AM

okay, you guys are making me blush now.

I am NO angel, I assure you. :lol:
just ask my parole officer. (kidding)

I just want Meg to know there is hope, help and all kinds of resources available to her. This is not a death sentence, it's an answer! I sent her to my doctor and we have
3 gluten-free bakeries in the area. One is a restaurant--totally dedicated--run by a fellow celiac, where she will find safe foods and people who care! It's a real blessing to have a safe haven to eat.

The first time I ate there, I cried. (apparently, that happens a lot) :lol:

I watched a little boy eat his first brownie one day and we all had tears in our eyes. That kiddo was so thrilled. It was magical.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#14 Jennifer C

Jennifer C

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:47 AM

Honey!

(hugs) You are NOT lost and alone. You just feel like crap.
To be sick with bronchitis on top of it makes it worse, I know. :(

Many of us had gluten withdrawal symptoms and they will pass. Keep hydrated.

I gave you that list of gluten-free comfort foods you CAN have -- so you can get through this hard time. Go to either of the two bakeries we discussed and get some things. They are both celiacs and can help you.

You have my phone number and email (and I do not do that liberally!!) I am right here! :)

hugs,
IH

Irish Heart,

Would you mind giving me the list of gluten-free comfort foods that I can have? I am knew to the gluten free diet myself and I am also struggling with detoxing from gluten, but for me I am nauseous and vomiting and have no energy. I have lost 6 pounds in 9 days and am having a hard time finding food that I want to eat, let alone food that will stay in my stomach.

Thank you,
Jennifer C.

#15 Meggielynn13

Meggielynn13

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:18 AM

CatsMeow,

I'm hungry just reading your post. Chicken with skin on is my favorite next to steak :D . I bought a box of gluten free mac and cheese the other night and I think I might make that tonight. Dairy has been easier to eat the past few days. I'm not gonna jump in and have a glass of milk just yet. Almond milk is great though. I'm not sure how good that would be in mac and cheese though. Maybe I will just get the Velveta and use that. Last night was the first meal I have had in almost a week that made me completely full. Who knew I wasn't getting enough protein or calcium! I just started taking my probiotics (even though my bf's mother has been telling me to take them for almost 4 years :o ) I'm hoping that will help things along as well.

After I get out of work today I'm going to get some chicken with skin and eat it all :). I need to make up for lost time because of not eating a lot of protein ;)
Lactose Intolerant-2009
GB removed-2011

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: