#16 catsmeow

catsmeow

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:42 PM

The first time I ate there, I cried. (apparently, that happens a lot) :lol:

I watched a little boy eat his first brownie one day and we all had tears in our eyes. That kiddo was so thrilled. It was magical.

You made me cry!!!!! LOL....anywho, I cried the first time I ate at our local gluten-free bakery and cafe (Little Aussie Bakery & Cafe). It was so delicious and so coooooool to be able to order anything on the menu and for the first time in forever, be able to stuff things in my mouth without thinking...like the rest of the world does!!!
You've cat to be kitten me right meow

Wheat Allergy-April 2010
Gluten Intolerant-April 2010
Dairy/casien intolerant-Aug 2012
Lactose intolerant- Aug 2012
Soy Intolerant-November 2012
October 2012- I learned that I am 1/2 Irish with a strong family history of Gluten Intolerance/Celiacs. I will never know If I am Celiac because I will never eat gluten again in order to test postive, it's poison and I do not ever want to feel the way I felt before implementing the gluten free diet EVER again!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 catsmeow

catsmeow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:50 PM

CatsMeow,

I'm hungry just reading your post. Chicken with skin on is my favorite next to steak :D . I bought a box of gluten free mac and cheese the other night and I think I might make that tonight. Dairy has been easier to eat the past few days. I'm not gonna jump in and have a glass of milk just yet. Almond milk is great though. I'm not sure how good that would be in mac and cheese though. Maybe I will just get the Velveta and use that. Last night was the first meal I have had in almost a week that made me completely full. Who knew I wasn't getting enough protein or calcium! I just started taking my probiotics (even though my bf's mother has been telling me to take them for almost 4 years :o ) I'm hoping that will help things along as well.

After I get out of work today I'm going to get some chicken with skin and eat it all :). I need to make up for lost time because of not eating a lot of protein ;)

MMMMMMM...now I want some juicy chicken thighs....LOL...I'm hungry for them too! They are soooo goood! I like that they sell them in the meat department already thawed. It makes it easier to pop into the oven right when you get home from work. Have you tried the Tinkyada pasta? It is superior over the other gluten-free pastas. I hope you get your fill of good protein tonight...(((((hugs))))) I've used almond milk in cheese sauce before and it tasted fine. I did it because I was out of regular milk. Know one in my house new any better. What brand of boxed gluten-free mac and cheese are you making? Let me know if it's good, I've never tried any of those.

Wheat Allergy-April 2010
October 2012- I learned that I am 1/2 Irish with a strong family history of Gluten Intolerance/Celiacs. I will never know If I am Celiac because I will never eat gluten again in order to test postive, it's poison and I do not ever want to feel the way I felt before implementing the gluten free diet EVER again!!!

#18 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:52 PM

Irish Heart,

Would you mind giving me the list of gluten-free comfort foods that I can have? I am knew to the gluten free diet myself and I am also struggling with detoxing from gluten, but for me I am nauseous and vomiting and have no energy. I have lost 6 pounds in 9 days and am having a hard time finding food that I want to eat, let alone food that will stay in my stomach.

Thank you,
Jennifer C.

Absolutely, Jennifer! :)
Let me cut and paste that file onto here.
Be right back! :)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#19 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:58 PM

Have you tried the Tinkyada pasta? It is superior over the other gluten-free pastas. I hope you get your fill of good protein tonight...(((((hugs)))))

Tinkyada pasta is good. My cousin told me the secret--13 minutes. That's it. Do not go by the instructions or you'll have mush on your hands. :lol:

Another good pasta is BiAglut corn pasta. YUM!!! Cook their pasta as directed--works perfectly.

A word of caution to all newbies though is:

Avoid too much dairy and cheese at first because lactase, which is the enzyme that breaks down the sugar lactose, is produced in the tip of the villi.
When the villi get blunted in celiac disease, sometimes the ability to digest lactose is decreased and you can become lactose intolerant.

This may cause bloating, stomach cramps, diarrhea, etc. After you go gluten-free, the villi will heal and most people are able to tolerate dairy foods again.

So if you start loading up on mac and cheese, ice cream, etc. and you feel lousy, it could be your problem.

WHOLE FOODS is best for the first few weeks and even months, but if you want some comfort food and snacks, have one.

Don't feel deprived.
Get probiotics on board.
I am a PEST about that :lol: --they are a MUST.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#20 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:13 PM

Irish Heart,

Would you mind giving me the list of gluten-free comfort foods that I can have?
Jennifer C.

This info was compiled for my family and those with NCGI and newly Dxed Celiacs and is a starting point for information about celiac/gluten intolerance.

For info:
http://celiacdisease...iacsymptoms.htm

http://www.celiacdisease.net/symptoms

Dietary concerns –LISTS OF safe and unsafe gluten free foods:

http://www.celiac.co...ents/Page1.html

http://www.celiac.co...ents/Page1.html

Good books:
Living Gluten free for Dummies--Danna Korn
Celiac Disease: the First Year by Jules Dowler Shepard
Cecelia's Marketplace Gluten-free GROCERY SHOPPING GUIDE
A quick “get-started” menu for gluten-free eating follows:

FLUIDS: Drink 1/2 your body weight daily in filtered H2O every day. A must! Celiacs are dehydrated from malabsorption. Plus, it helps cleanse toxins from body tissues and organs and keep the bowels running smoothly. Gluten is an invasive toxin.
AVOID too many sugary sodas at first--they wreak havoc on the gut.
AVOID DAIRY for 3 months (or longer if it bothers you). Lactase, which is the enzyme that breaks down the sugar lactose, is produced in the tips of the villi. When the villi get blunted in celiac disease, sometimes the ability to digest lactose is decreased and you can become “lactose intolerant.” This may cause bloating, stomach cramps, diarrhea, etc. After you go gluten-free, the villi will heal and most people are able to tolerate dairy foods again.
PROBIOTICS are a must. A good one is from Custom Probiotics, but a less expensive one is gluten-free and DF CULTURELLE.
Celiacs' leaky guts have an unbalanced amount of gut flora.

http://www.thefooddo...probiotic_facts

SUGAR--too much makes me hyper, so I use stevia, honey, pure maple syrup (not most bottled pancake syrups—they contain gluten!)
Earth Balance soy-free is a good choice if you cannot have butter. You need some good essential fatty acids: Safflower oil, sunflower oil, olive oil, coconut oil.

Breakfasts:
Erewhon crispy brown rice cereal or Kellogg's gluten-free RICE KRISPIES, gluten-free CHEX corn or gluten-free CHEX Rice cereal, gluten-free CHEX honey-nut or gluten-free CHEX Cinnamon
Add: rice milk, almond milk or coconut milk and add berries or sliced banana.
CERTIFIED gluten -free oatmeal w/cinnamon (glutenfreeda brand, Bob's Red Mill are a few )
Eggs and bacon or sausage with gluten-free toast or bagel (Kinnikinnick, Udi's, Glutino Genius or homemade)
Pocono Cream of buckwheat --it's good!! (no worries--Buckwheat is not from the wheat family)
Amaranth pancakes w/pure maple syrup (bottled syrups can contain gluten)
gluten-free packaged pancake/waffle mixes (Pamela's brand is very good as is Bob's Red Mill –we use BRM on the site, for short)
Van's frozen waffles.

FRUITS and VEGGIES—eat plenty of these.

Snack ideas that are safe and handy :)

Cozy Shack Rice Pudding cups (in the dairy section-contains milk)
All natural applesauce cups
gluten-free cookies  or muffins (Bake them or buy them.)
Pamela's Baking Mix is versatile and good for cookies, baked goods.
Bagel with cream cheese or peanut butter and jam . Udi's are pretty good (frozen section)
Pamela's and King Arthur makes a very good brownie mix too!
Chobani Yogurt (if dairy is okay)
Lundberg rice cakes or sliced apples and celery sticks with natural peanut butter or hummus smeared on
Glutino or Scharr crackers with cheese or peanut butter
BOAR's Head brand pepperoni, salami, all their cold cuts and cheeses are gluten-free
I get nuts from nutsonline (gluten-free certified) but some Planter's peanuts, almonds, cashews are gluten-free.
SUNMAID raisins, prunes. Craisins by Ocean Spray. (some raisins and dried fruits are dusted with flour to keep them from sticking but these brands are safe.)
Smoothies- made with coconut milk, fruit, yogurt, etc.
Potato chips----like Cape Cod or Kettle Brand or Utz
Indiana Popcorn--comes in all flavors--the  kettle corn is delicious
Glutino brand pretzels—they come in all flavors even chocolate -coated
Coconut milk, creamer and ice cream (Turtle Mountain So Decadent brand is very good)
Ice Cream, if dairy is not a problem for you, most Haagen Das flavors are good, for exmaple. READ LABELS!!!
Organic Corn chips w/salsa, hummus, or Guacamole
Sunflower , pumpkin or flaxseeds
Candy—Hershey's kisses or bars, regular size Reese's cups, Snickers, York peppermint patty, Butterfinger and M &Ms plain and peanut. Ghirardelli squares.
Make some Chex mix with gluten-free chex cereals
gluten-free Rice Krispies treats (recipes are online)
CHEBE pizza and breadstick mixes—very good!

THERE ARE DOZENS OF YUMMY RECIPES ON CELIAC.COM AND ALL OVER THE INTERNET. LEARN TO MAKE UP FLOUR MIXES SO YOU FEEL COMFORTABLE BAKING THINGS YOURSELF.

Check the labels of all packaged products-- if they were made with wheat or malt gluten, they will state so on the package.

LUNCH and DINNER:

Leftovers from last night's dinner make an easy lunch
Some Progresso soups are gluten-free. Check the label!
A sandwich with gluten free bread or rolls—UDIs, Scharr's and Canyon Bakehouse are decent packaged breads, rolls and bagels, but homemade is the way to go.
I have a simple recipe for white sandwich bread that is delicious if you want it.
A big salad with tons of veggies and grilled chicken or shrimp and Hard-boiled eggs/ with gluten-free or homemade vinegrette dressing. A list of gluten free salad dressings is available online. Marzettis, and most of WishBone and Ken's are okay. Homemade is best!
Homemade vegetable minestrone ,chicken soup, stews, black bean or white bean chili (gluten-free stock)
chicken or bean nachos (can use corn tortillas)
red beans and rice
almost all mexican food is safe (just no flour tortillas!)
PASTA and sauce w/meatballs (brown rice or corn pasta --TINKYADA BRAND rice pasta is delicious! Cook 13 minutes exactly) and use gluten-free breadcrumbs (just crumble some gluten-free bread and season)
Another good pasta is CORN pasta made by BiAglut or Sam's Hill. Cook as directed.
meatloaf (beef or ground turkey) baked potato or yams, green veggie of some kind
Other proteins: roasted or grilled chicken, turkey, pork, beef, salmon, talapia, scallops, lamb, some sausages are safe, bacon (Check labels)
Vegetarian chili--homemade.
I eat a variety of veggies..whatever looks fresh at the super market or farmer's market or stands...steamed, grilled--- or roasted root veggies in stock.
Sweet potatoes—baked at 350 degrees in a pan for 45-50 mins.--are yummy
Potatoes—roasted, grilled, whipped with milk
Fritattas with veggies and salad
Stuffed peppers—with ground turkey, beef or lamb and rice

ANY recipe can be altered--just use gluten-free breadcrumbs, or rice pasta ---use any flour made from amaranth, corn, bean, etc...just NO WHEAT, RYE OR BARLEY or cross -contaminated OATS. Quaker oats are Cced!!. Bob's Red Mill are not.

Cross-contamination is the bane of our existence. Learn how to make your home safe.

http://celiacdisease...scontaminat.htm

Hidden sources of gluten:
http://www.practical...wiakArticle.pdf

Packaged/processed Foods:

A package stating a product is “Gluten-free “ does not always guarantee it was processed and manufactured and packaged in a dedicated facility. You want the GIG (Gluten Intolerance Group) circle stamped on the package –it is a big gluten-free in a circle.

Some DEDICATED gluten-free facilities are:

Bob's Red Mill
1-2-3 Meredith's Marvelous
Authentic Foods
Pamela's
Cause You're Special
Udi's
The Cravings Place
Andean Dream
Kinnikinnick
Organic Nectars
Orgran
Foods by George
gluten-free FULL FLAVOR Gravy
Prana Bar
Enjoy Life
EnergG
Gillian's

They make all kinds of ready made mixes and flours to make it easy to start baking.
The cooking and baking section on the forum has thousands of great ideas—these guys are amazingly creative!

That should get you started. No need to fear eating!
Best wishes!

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#21 catsmeow

catsmeow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:36 PM

Tinkyada pasta is good. My cousin told me the secret--13 minutes. That's it. Do not go by the instructions or you'll have mush on your hands. :lol:

LOL...I almost included that bit of advice, but decided against it because not everyone likes pasta the way I like it cooked, but you are right,good point, know one likes it's mushy, so 13 min. is correct. That is exactly how long I cook it for.

Wheat Allergy-April 2010

#22 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:50 PM

LOL...I almost included that bit of advice, but decided against it because not everyone likes pasta the way I like it cooked, but you are right,good point, know one likes it's mushy, so 13 min. is correct. That is exactly how long I cook it for.

I made it too mushy, then, too al dente, and almost gave up on that brand until she told me 13 minutes---she was emphatic!!--13 minutes!!! :lol: Came out just right.

and now, I tell everyone, too.
Works every time. :)

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#23 Meggielynn13

Meggielynn13

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:51 PM

Catsmeow

I got Annie's rice pasta and cheese Mac and cheese. The only kind of dairy that bothers me is straight milk and too much ice cream( like more than a couple scoops). I haven't had any problems with cheese or yogurt yet. Hopefully I don't cause I love that stuff. I'm actually saving chicken for dinner Tuesday night and I'm having fish and rice for dinner! I need to remember to bring goodie bags of food with me to work and school because i didn't bring enough with me and I'm starting to get to that too hungry point. As I'm typing this I'm eating some gluten-free cereal awaiting dinner :). I sound like such a foodie but I'm really just malnourished and looking for something to fill my belly :)
Lactose Intolerant-2009
GERD, Hiatal Hernia and Gastritis-2011
GB removed-2011
Celiac positive DGP IgA-2012

Fatty Liver caused by Celiac/GB issues- 5/2012
Diagnosed with Celiac Disease "officially" after liver results came back normal from continuing gluten-free 11/2012

#24 Jennifer C

Jennifer C

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:02 PM

Irish Heart,

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it. Also is there any form of pasta that I could eat that would taste like regular pasta? I am Italian and not having pasta is going to be really hard for me.

Thanks,
Jennifer C

#25 Jennifer C

Jennifer C

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:04 PM

Hi Everyone!

I was also wondering if there was a website that would tell me if there was a gluten free bakery/restaurant in my area.....I live in Virginia Beach.

Thanks,
Jennifer C

#26 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:42 PM

Irish Heart,

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it. Also is there any form of pasta that I could eat that would taste like regular pasta? I am Italian and not having pasta is going to be really hard for me.

Thanks,
Jennifer C

Honey, you CAN have pasta it just cannot be made from wheat flour.

The names of the pasta I recommend are on that list I just posted :) and we said it several times in this thread:

Tinkyada rice pasta
BiAglut corn pasta
Sam's Hill corn pasta

Also, check the forum using the SEARCH FORUM VIA GOOGLE in the upper right corner under your profile login and type in pasta
and there will be dozens of threads on pasta.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#27 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:47 PM

Hi Everyone!

I was also wondering if there was a website that would tell me if there was a gluten free bakery/restaurant in my area.....I live in Virginia Beach.

Thanks,
Jennifer C

No one will see your question about places in your particular area
on this thread.
You need to start a thread under the section
"Restaurants" and ask there.
Also, use your google search engine and type in Gluten Free bakeries in VA Beach.
A completely gluten-free restaurant is not going to be found. I think the one we live near is the ONLY one. She started the place from scratch and NO WHEAT products have ever been on the premises.
Many restaurants have gluten-free menus, of course. Check the restaurant section.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#28 dreacakes

dreacakes

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:47 AM

LOL! Detoxing from Vicodin is a PERFECT way to describe gluten withdrawal!

I'd HIGHLY suggest that you consider not eating any grains, eggs, soy, or dairy for awhile, if ever again. I made the mistake of diving into the prepared gluten-free food isle when I first went gluten free. Then a year later I *still* didn't feel any better and wondered why! They're doing new research that's finding that the proteins in ALL grains irritate the digestive tracts of Celiac sufferers. Also, foods like beans, nuts, and dairy (cow diary protein is nearly identical to gluten protein, I'd stay away from it!) also irritate the gut.
When I finally changed my diet to exclude all these things (it's still possible to enjoy food, I swear!) is when I finally started to recover, and now I feel AMAZING.

So best of luck to you on this new journey, and hang in there! :)
Debilitating tendonitis in both arms in 2003, at age 23, declared "permanent and stationary" by workman's comp doctors.
Fibromyalgia diagnosis in 2010.
Mild hyperthyroidism diagnosis 2011.
Disc Degeneration diagnosis 2012.
Life long battle with hypoglycemia.
Gluten Free since 2010. On Paleo-type diet since May 2011.
Suffered years of brain fog, back spasms, nausea, and recurring connective tissue pain and injuries. After years of misdiagnosis, I did my own elimination diet and discovered a severe reaction to wheat gluten and casein. After going on a grain free, nightshade free, Paleo-ish diet, my symptoms are nearly gone, and I FINALLY KICKED THE BRAIN FOG!
Cheers to health! <3

#29 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:00 PM

I'd HIGHLY suggest that you consider not eating any grains, eggs, soy, or dairy for awhile, if ever again. Also, foods like beans, nuts, and dairy (cow diary protein is nearly identical to gluten protein, I'd stay away from it!) also irritate the gut.

Your suggestion about avoiding too many processed gluten-free foods for awhile is valid, and we have all told her that, but not everyone needs to avoid all these OTHER food groups at once in order to heal their guts.

Meggielynn has been starving for a while now and she needs to find some foods to fill up on first before taking OUT even more nutritious foods like high protein alternative grains, eggs, beans and nuts. If she has a problem digesting them, that is a different story.

Some people do well on a paleo diet, for sure. (I have a celiac friend who is doing this and feels great)

Where did you read that beans, nuts and dairy proteins are nearly identical to gluten proteins? I'd be interested in seeing that research myself. Thanks.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#30 Meggielynn13

Meggielynn13

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:51 PM

I've been eating mostly chicken, veggies, fruit , rice and too many chocolate rice cakes O_O. I've been feeling a lot better but I'm still getting super hungry in the middle of the day. Tonight I'm actually making a bunch of food for the rest of the week so I have food with me at all times. I'm making stuffed chicken with spinach and tomatoes, roasted chickpeas as a snack and some really good dairy free flour less cookies! I however made my first two cc issues. I made a taco dip last night and didnt read the back of the chili can, and then I had half a gin and tonic. My body is definitely not ready for alcohol yet. I just can't wait to go back to the dr and tell them how great I'm feeling. Almost 2 weeks in, I've lost almost 10 pounds and I have been living life outside of the confines of my bathroom. And NO MORE meltdowns! Gluten really is arch nemesis as my boyfriend calls it haha! Thanks everyone for the advice, especially IH. You are the BEST!
Lactose Intolerant-2009
GERD, Hiatal Hernia and Gastritis-2011
GB removed-2011
Celiac positive DGP IgA-2012

Fatty Liver caused by Celiac/GB issues- 5/2012
Diagnosed with Celiac Disease "officially" after liver results came back normal from continuing gluten-free 11/2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: