43 replies to this topic

#1 researchmomma

researchmomma

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:28 AM

This is so funny. Go to Things people say to Celiacs and scroll down to the video.

It is a quick watch and super funny.

I will add to the ridiculous questions and statements:

My mother said to me "well she can eat white bread cuz it has less gluten, right?".

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Meggielynn13

Meggielynn13

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:08 PM

That's like my dad telling me I can eat crackers instead of bread. Since he's trying to eat less bread, he's been having low fat crackers or something. People just don't get it. Or they think you are just on a fad diet. I feel like only people that have Celiac get it.
Lactose Intolerant-2009
GERD, Hiatal Hernia and Gastritis-2011
GB removed-2011
Celiac positive DGP IgA-2012

Fatty Liver caused by Celiac/GB issues- 5/2012
Diagnosed with Celiac Disease "officially" after liver results came back normal from continuing gluten-free 11/2012

#3 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 01:27 PM

Hilarious and yet, frustratingly annoying as well :lol:

Thanks for sharing, honey!

Yes, I have heard similar queries about bread, only it was "WHOLE WHEAT is wrong, but other bread is okay, right?"

another was:

someone, smiling at me, all excited, holding up an ice cream sandwich and asking:

"This is okay, right!? It's just ice cream!!"

:huh:

When I said (as a celiac), I can no longer can receive communion, I was asked in a hushed tone, "oh, is that because you were divorced?"

:lol:

Oh well, we were once dumba$ses about this gluten stuff, too.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#4 researchmomma

researchmomma

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 01:36 PM

Hilarious and yet, frustratingly annoying as well :lol:

Thanks for sharing, honey!

Yes, I have heard similar queries about bread, only it was "WHOLE WHEAT is wrong, but other bread is okay, right?"

another was:

someone, smiling at me, all excited, holding up an ice cream sandwich and asking:

"This is okay, right!? It's just ice cream!!"

:huh:

When I said (as a celiac), I can no longer can receive communion, a real Mensa candidate I know said in a hushed tone, "oh, is that because you were divorced?"

:lol:

Oh well, we were once dumba$ses about this gluten stuff, too.

That is funny Irish. Hey, our Priest made a point to get gluten-free host because so many of his parish are gluten free!

#5 researchmomma

researchmomma

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 01:37 PM

That's like my dad telling me I can eat crackers instead of bread. Since he's trying to eat less bread, he's been having low fat crackers or something. People just don't get it. Or they think you are just on a fad diet. I feel like only people that have Celiac get it.

The fad diet thing kills me. I heard that today "oh you are doing that too?"

#6 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 01:41 PM

That is funny Irish. Hey, our Priest made a point to get gluten-free host because so many of his parish are gluten free!

Well, he is unusually progressive thinking. For a while, they dragged their collective feet about that, saying the recipe --the amount of gluten in it--could not be tampered with for religious reasons. I read some nuns were busy working on a recipe with low levels of gluten. Maybe it has come to pass.

My first thought was "you darn well better think of something"! The largest celiac populations in European countries---are also predominantly Catholic.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#7 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 01:43 PM

The fad diet thing kills me. I heard that today "oh you are doing that too?"

Quick (sarcastic) reply is....."Hell yes, aren't YOU!!??" and then look at them with a tsk, tsk! and a :rolleyes: --- as if they are sooooo hopelessly "ten minutes ago" :lol:

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#8 researchmomma

researchmomma

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 02:13 PM

Quick (sarcastic) reply is....."Hell yes, aren't YOU!!??" and then look at them with a tsk, tsk! and a :rolleyes: --- as if they are sooooo hopelessly "ten minutes ago" :lol:

That is good!

#9 Poppi

Poppi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 02:35 PM

Or my personal favourite which I have heard from everyone from family members to grocery store cashiers..."Ugh, I would kill myself if I couldn't have pasta/bread/croissants/cake."

Wow. You just said my life is not worth living. Think about that for a second.

Last time I got that comment from a cashier I responded with, "Well, I would kill myself if I had to bag groceries all day." I know that was rude but I couldn't help myself.

Sara

Busy mom to 3 great kids (4, 8 and 18)

Gluten free since April 6, 2011 ~ Also sensitive to coconut, coffee and food dyes

Joint pain, mouth sores, back and neck pain, migraines, stomach pain, chronic fatigue, ADD and depression are all gone.
Wishing I had been diagnosed before celiac robbed me of the cartilage in my toes and the 3 babies we lost to miscarriages.

#10 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 02:50 PM

Or my personal favourite which I have heard from everyone from family members to grocery store cashiers..."Ugh, I would kill myself if I couldn't have pasta/bread/croissants/cake."

Last time I got that comment from a cashier I responded with, "Well, I would kill myself if I had to bag groceries all day." I know that was rude but I couldn't help myself.

oh Snap! :lol: Great comeback!
Not rude--perhaps a lesson in civility he sorely needed. Good for you!!

I know some people "feel sorry" for me and my gluten-free life--but the irony is--my doc says our diet is healthier than anyone else's.

I feel sorry for the ones who SHOULD be gluten-free but won't do it (like my family and some friends). Someday soon, I am going to feel better than I have in my life.

They will still feel like crap.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#11 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 03:52 PM

Just another story of Stupid Things People Say to Celiacs-

My co-worker who knows I have Celiac served up cake for me...I said, no thank you. She said you can have some...there is no wheat in it...just sugar,flour,eggs,cocoa and butter. I said there is flour in it...she says yeah, but there is no wheat. I said um...Flour is wheat...she says...Oh My God!!...that means you can't have bread or pancakes or cookies or cake like EVER????

:) Rrrrright I said with a smile. :ph34r: :blink:
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

#12 pixiestargirl

pixiestargirl

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:10 PM

One of my favourites is a recurring thing at work.

*while eating chips*
"You can eat chips???"

*while eating popcorn*
"You can eat popcorn????"

*while eating gluten free muffins*
"Are those gluten free???"

...no, I've just decided I really felt like torturing myself :rolleyes:

#13 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,114 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:34 PM

Wow! I guess it would be a death sentence for you.... :huh:

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#14 come dance with me

come dance with me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 05:02 PM

Did you tell them you can?

We just made a cake, and will ice it soon. We also have bread rolls to bake.

I will be making pancakes this week for Shrove Tuesday.

We also have apple turnovers, donuts, waffles, crepes, all sorts of yummy treats! Not only gluten free but also vegan :D
Lord please give me patience, because if you give me strength, I may just beat the living crap out of someone...

#15 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 05:03 PM

For my religion, the sacrament is passed by Deacons. Our bishop assigned an entire section for celiacs because there are so many of us. The first Sunday back to church after my surgery I almost choked on the most awful cracker I've ever put in my mouth. I was like omg, I'm gonna burst into flames if I choke on this. :lol:

It's unbelievable how many people just say the dumbest things. I do try to be patient but I agree that the worst is the "I'd just kill myself." Thanks... you're a jerk.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: