This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is Crosscontamination For The Sensitive Only

mario

mario Explorer

Ok so this is my story, the first week of my diet I was told by my friend George(celiac)that lays chips where safe and, gluten free and, that made me so happy, that I went out and, got myself a bag of regular lays. The first night of lays chips and, watching TV made me feel new again..I stopped the lays about one week ago cuz I got a little reaction..and,called the company right away..putting them on a gluten free list as written on their site..they also mention that their could be cross-contamination and, that their chips are run on the same lines..........however,hmm

Now to me this does not mean gluten free, however my friend eats them and, he's ok with them wtf/ I'm jelous and, desperate for chips, I felt normal with my bag of lays..should I wait awhile to have some again..?? I mean it is my 5th week on the diet including one accident. My friend has been on the diet since 94 and, doing amazing, he's very positive, stays fit, loves his diet and, he's 57. He also travels very often and, eats out pretty often. Back on topic...I'm sure he's less sensitive than I am about the lays chips.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

seeking-wholeness Explorer

mario,

This is just a thought, but it sounds to me like your friend may be eating trace amounts of gluten pretty frequently, so he might only notice trouble when he consumes larger quantities than usual. If you are being stricter than he is about eliminating ALL gluten from your diet, I think it stands to reason that you will experience symptoms after ingesting much smaller amounts of gluten.

To each his own, but I personally agree with you about Lay's chips!

Connie R-E Apprentice

Is being more sensitive a good thing??

Well, if it keeps you from contaminating yourself, then "Yes!"

If it keeps you from eating the things you love (that are contaminated), then "Yes!"

--cause you'll still be healthier! ;)

Connie

--being extremely sensitive keeps me on the straight and narrow!!

(sometimes I wish I could cheat, but I'm really glad I can't!!) B)

PS. I read that Fritios Scoops are run on a dedicated line due to their odd size.... :)

Guest aramgard

I have also had a reaction from Lay's potato chips and I really love them. Still have not found a potato chip I liked better. So I have been eating Mission corn chips instead. Shirley

• 2 weeks later...
kerri124 Apprentice

I read that Lays Baked Sour Cream and Onion chips were safe from one of the gluten-free lists but when I went to the store last night I found that they all had Modified food starch which I was told was a no no. Did you check out the label?

Terri-Anne Apprentice

Mario

I'm with you. Labelling something gluten-free when the company KNOWINGLY runs the product on the SAME lines as contaminated products, really makes me angry. :angry:

My little son is counting on me, with one hundred per cent trust that I am carefully screening his diet, and will only feed him products which are safe for him. I do my best, and read labels religiously, even when I am buying something for myself only, with no intention of him ingesting any at all! When he has a reaction despite my best efforts, I get so frustrated, and guilt ridden. I feel like I've really let him down, :( , even like I've betrayed him. It's really a sad situation.

His reactions are soooooo painful for him. It breaks my heart.

Why can't these companies just clue-in and label with 100% accuracy. If something MAY be contaminated, they should SAY so! then allow buyers to make their own choices as to whether to chance it!

I would never Knowingly expose my baby to dangerous foods. :angry:

plantime Contributor

Modified food starch can be wheat, or potato, or corn. Call Lay's and ask them what kind they use.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Aightball Apprentice

The only problem I've had with Lays (other than a personal preference), is that they are so greasy. I feel like I've got a rock sitting in my gut for a while after eating them :(.

Ruffles are the ones I like right now. They ar quite nummy and gluten-free!

-Kel

• 3 years later...
Jix Hedgehog Newbie

Thats weird, my wife (celiac) eats lays and ruffles all the time, in fact, we cook with them regularly (pan fried chicken with crunched up chips) and she seems to be ok afterwards.

I'll have to check into this further, so thank you for the heads up :)

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Is being more sensitive a good thing??

Well, if it keeps you from contaminating yourself, then "Yes!"

If it keeps you from eating the things you love (that are contaminated), then "Yes!"

--cause you'll still be healthier! ;)

I agree with this completely. I am the 'tester' in my family. If I will eat it everyone else will be okay. I also avoid Lays and agree totally that the company needs to be more honest about CC risk. We should not have to find out by getting ill.

Archived