Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

What Wines Are Gluten Free

5 posts in this topic

Hello, I just found out I have this disease do any of you know of white wines that is gluten free and doesn't have brewers yeast in them. And it doesn't have gluten in them.

Ads by Google:

I can't speak to the yeast question, but in nearly twelve years on the diet I have never found a wine that was not gluten-free.

I agree with Peter, but watch out for some wine coolers. ;)

And welcome...you've found a great place for information.

Wines are gluten-free but I think they need some type of yeast to ferment and become wine. I don't know if there is any detectable yeast left after it becomes wine. You might want to google that & see if there is a winemakers site that would explain that.

http://www.winemakermag.com/stories/techniques/article/indices/35-techniques/782-yeast-free-wine-and-quality-control-wine-wizard

Here's a bit of the article.

The good news is that most wines that you can buy off the supermarket shelf don’t contain a lot of yeast cells; if they did, the wines would look cloudy and might even re-ferment in the bottle. Large commercial-scale wineries work hard to ensure that their wines get to market with little or no yeast cells; zero viable cells per bottle is the goal. Commercial white wines, especially those styles that don’t go through a malolactic fermentation (where helpful bacteria eat natural malic acid in grapes and turn it into lactic acid), will almost always be sterile filtered. This is because residual malic acid is a tempting treat for any ambient bacteria that would be abundant in unfiltered wine.

I drink quite a bit of wine - no wheat in the ones I enjoy. ;) None of the many wines I've enjoyed have been an issue. :)