This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Extremely Personal........females Only!

Mahee34

Mahee34 Enthusiast

I know this is a little bit akward for some people, but, every since I've been diagnosed with celiac disease intercourse has been incredibly painful. Does anyone else have this problem. I've tried lubracants, even talking to my gynocologist and she isn't very helpful, maybe she just doesn't know the disease. Any help or support at least?

:(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest nini

I haven't noticed this problem personally, but I don't doubt that it could be related. If you have malabsorption and your hormone levels are skewed, you may be experiencing this because of a drop in a certain hormone level. I would ask your gyn. to check your hormone levels via blood work,

I've heard that sometimes in women with celiac disease that progesterone levels can become dangerously low, and this can also contribute to unexplained fertility and such. It's worth checking out.

Are you on hormonal Birth Control, like the pill or anything with hormones?

cgilsing Enthusiast

I don't remember where I read it, but I have heard that it is common for women with Celiac disease to also have problems with endometriosis and cysts. I have had both and it can definatley be painful. You might want to ask your doctor if this is a possibility.

frenchiemama Collaborator

Is the problem related to dryness? Maybe you should check into sjogren's syndrome.

Also, when you talked to your gyn did she/he suggest having your hormone levels tested?

Guest nini
I don't remember where I read it, but I have heard that it is common for women with Celiac disease to also have problems with endometriosis and cysts.  I have had both and it can definatley be painful.  You might want to ask your doctor if this is a possibility.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

oh yes, I forgot about that... I have had surgery for endometriosis and polycystic ovaries... this is EXTREMELY PAINFUL!

tarnalberry Community Regular

I don't know if it is related, and if it is, the gluten-free diet ought to help, but you might consider googling vulvodynia or vulvar vestibulitis. (The later is a subset of the former.) If you switched to gluten-free foods that are high in oxalates, and are oxalate sensitive (a few women with that problem are), that could be causing a problem.

skbird Contributor

This is something I've been in denial about myself. I am going to a new gyno next month to see if I have endo myself. I have horrible periods, hormone problems relating to my cycle, lots of discomfort, etc. I was reading an IBS site the other day because I get bad IBS these days when I ovulate (as opposed to when my period starts, like most women with this problem) and I keep getting references to endo. This past year I have had 5 phantom bladder infections - meaning they weren't infections, just felt like them, and it's not intersitital cystitis as my pH is fine, etc. My doc thinks it's endo. Yuck.

I also have read about a high incidence of endo with autoimmune disorders. Joy, joy.

Stephanie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

elonwy Enthusiast

I'm having the thing with the bladder infection that isn't actually a bladder infection. Its been driving me crazy. And I've been having the pain and dryness. Dammit.

I'm waiting til after my next period, because I was on so many antibiotics and stuff after my endoscopy that I'm waiting to see if everything resets ( often bladder and yeast infections clear up after a period by themselves because your body kinda resets itself).

I had such a bad yeast infection I had fissures which is one of the most horrible things ever.

I totally hope no guys read this stuff.

Elonwy

I had such a bad yeast infection I had fissures which is one of the most horrible things ever.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, that totally made me squirm in my chair! You poor thing!

LianneD Newbie

I have had the problem with discomfort and dryness. I had no idea it might be related. I am on gluten-free diet but do not have a positive diagnosis. First blood test positive second was borderline. the M.D. wants me to come back after 2 mothes to retest. :(

Mahee34 Enthusiast

Sheesh.

Can't we ever feel normal? I mean isn't it bad enough that we have this celiac disease but we have to have all these other issues too. I almost forget what it feels like for my stomach not to feel weird or for my body not to ache...thanks for the support though everyone....hopefully we'll figure out ways to fix what ales us.

as for the guys reading this, i know they didn't make it past my first post if they did! ha

Jen H Contributor

Hi Mahee,

I had those same symptoms this past year. Before I was diagnosed with celiac disease, I had an ovarian cyst which needed to be removed. While the doctor performed the surgery, he discovered I had endometriosis. I was getting terrible cramps during my period, headaches, backaches, and intercourse was pretty painful. Since the surgery, some of my symptoms have subsided. I think it would be a good idea to talk with your ob/gyn.

:) Jen

Guest nini

does anyone else get the big "D" right around their period? For years I have noticed this "phenomenon", I've asked my gyn's about it over the years and always get some vague answer about the normal hormonal fluctuations that cause "D"... ????? I wish it would STOP!

does anyone else get the  big "D" right around their period? For years I have noticed this "phenomenon", I've asked my gyn's  about it over the years and always get some vague answer about the normal hormonal fluctuations that cause "D"... ????? I wish it would STOP!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, for the last few years.

Mahee34 Enthusiast
Yes, for the last few years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

what's the big "D"

D = diarrhea

Mahee34 Enthusiast
D = diarrhea

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ha i didn't realize it had its own nickname!

jenvan Collaborator

my gastro issues also seem to get worse around period time. too bad we can't turn those on and off like a switch!

skbird Contributor

I get spasm, cramping and constipation or other IBS symptoms starting at ovulation. That is what is making me wonder about endometriosis, that plus the horrible cramps I get as well (down my legs even!) and other problems. The weirdness with my bladder lately is what's really getting on my nerves. Really glad I'm going in to see a good gynecologist now.

Yeah, no kidding, as if gluten wasn't enough!

Stephanie

cgilsing Enthusiast
I get spasm, cramping and constipation or other IBS symptoms starting at ovulation. That is what is making me wonder about endometriosis, that plus the horrible cramps I get as well (down my legs even!) and other problems.

I've had a lot of endo problems and I always get the leg cramps too! Most people don't know what I'm talking about with those! They suck!! You should really think about seeing your gynecologist about those cramps. I used to get them so bad that every month I would lay on the bathroom floor only getting up long enough to throw up. I had surgery for the enometriosis and they decided give me this medication that put me in menopause (at 20) for 6 months. It really is a crappy experience (hot flashes, mood swings, and to top it off your boobs shrink!! :blink: ), but in the end it's been 5 years since I've had any severe pain. It's really a good trade in the long run.

When you guys talk about getting cramps in your legs, do you mean cramps like charlie horses? During that time of the month if I move wrong I get a charlie horse; feet, legs, back wherever.

cgilsing Enthusiast

With me it's sortof just a dull aching in my thighs that almost feels numb and tingly sometimes. I wish I knew what caused it, it only happens when I'm having really bad cramps. The funny thing is my husband complains of something similar when he is hung over.....I just tell him to try having really bad cramps at the same time! :lol:

With me it's sortof just a dull aching in my thighs that almost feels numb and tingly sometimes.  I wish I knew what caused it, it only happens when I'm having really bad cramps.  The funny thing is my husband complains of something similar when he is hung over.....I just tell him to try having really bad cramps at the same time! :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, ok. So it's more like regular cramps but in your legs? I get really bad cramps, but not like that in my legs. Just tons of charlie horses.

mstrain Rookie

Aren't charlie horses caused by some type of vitamin/mineral deficiency? Potassium maybe? I can't remember - I just remember reading about it in pregnancy books. Maybe there's a decrease in vitamin/mineral during menstruation. Just a guess! Isn't there a pill on the market (Yasmin drsp I think) that contains potassium? Maybe that's why I'm thinking potassium - a mingling of various pieces of data that have nothing to do with each other! :huh:

Jen H Contributor

Hey cgilsing,

Did you take Lupron to help your endometriosis? My gyn recommended that for me, but I was weary about the whole "menopause" thing. How did it work for you?

:) Jen

Archived