23 replies to this topic

#1 Kimbalou

Kimbalou

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:39 AM

Will try to make this short. It still amazes me how ignorant some people are about Celiac. I was buying groceries yesterday and had some Amy's frozen dinners for work, which were gluten free of course. The cashier said "oh, those are expensive. Is it because they are gluten-free?" "yes, I have to eat gluten-free" I told her. She then went on to tell me that her daughter has Celiac. I told her I did too and we ended up having a long conversation about it. She told me how her daughter was so sick a few years ago, had to go be in the hospital for IV fluids and she was "pre-cancerous" and had a lot of diarrhea. They diagnosed her with Celiac. She asked me what caused Celiac. I explained the heredity aspect, it's an auto-immune disease...and I explained what autoimmune meant. She then said "Oh, I thought it was caused from eating too much processed food." (ummm...no)
She said she thought maybe she should get tesetd for it...I told her yes it would be a good idea since she told me she was having some IBS symptoms. She asked me what Celiacs have to stay away from..I told her wheat, oats, rye and barley. She then asked me "Does white bread have wheat in it?" OMG, I couldn't believe it. Her daughter has Celiac and she doesn't have a clue! You would think people would educate themsleves just a little bit! I can't believe how people think white bread isn't made from wheat.
So, I finished my conversation and proceeded to go outside and buy Girl Scout cookies from a friend, and let my family eat them. Good thing I bought myself some chocolate I could eat before I bought the cookies.
Ugh...I wish people would educate themsleves especially when a family member is diagnosed!
11/19/10 diagnosed with Celiac disease after positive blood test
12/14/10 Biopsy positive for Celiac disease

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,765 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:24 PM

Unless this womans daughter was grown when she was diagnosed and they never talk or visit I would wonder how she could be so unknowing about even the basics of the diet.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:27 PM

That seems incredible, but some people are not educated by their family members with celiac or screened themselves by their doctors or are too dazed on gluten themselves to think straight. It may not be her fault that she seems that "dense" to you. Fortunately, we have internet access and the intelligence to read and figure things out. (And I was pretty messed up on gluten and had comprehension problems because of celiac myself for a while, so I always give folks the benefit of the doubt.) Maybe she is incapable of thinking clearly for some reason? We never know how some folks live or how "smart" they are.

Maybe her daughter never explained it to her. Did she say how old she was when she was DXed? (I mean, she is not still a child and the mother is just ignoring the DX right?) Maybe she and her daughter do not speak anymore for some reason.

Maybe you could print out some info and bring it to her?

This woman may not be able to afford health insurance or a doctor, for all we know. There may be any number of reasons why she is so ill-informed--and not just intentionally "ignorant". Years ago, I did not know what gluten was either. I learned a lot the past few years.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#4 Kimbalou

Kimbalou

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:44 PM

ok, I guess I shouldn't be so judgemental about what people are thinking when they have no clue about Celiac. The statement that surprises me the most is when people ask if white bread has wheat in it. I guess that isn't common sense regardless if people understand Celiac or not? She told me her daughter is 30 years old. that's all I know.
11/19/10 diagnosed with Celiac disease after positive blood test
12/14/10 Biopsy positive for Celiac disease

#5 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:45 PM

I was DXed with Celiac at the end of June, and told my family. Just about a month ago I was talking to my older sister and she asked, "so you can only eat white bread"? I was shocked! :o I had to explain to her what gluten was and that it's in most flour, bread, pasta, and baked goods. She had no idea.
I hope she never gets Celiac.

#6 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:52 PM

ok, I guess I shouldn't be so judgemental about what people are thinking when they have no clue about Celiac. The statement that surprises me the most is when people ask if white bread has wheat in it. I guess that isn't common sense regardless if people understand Celiac or not? She told me her daughter is 30 years old. that's all I know.

Actually, I have heard the "So, white bread is okay because it is not WHOLE WHEAT, right?"----from some very "intelligent", well-educated people--so I am never surprised by that one. :lol:

Her daughter might have told her she has celiac, but perhaps she did not inform her about gluten and what foods include it---the way many of us have informed our families.

IMHO

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#7 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:55 PM

I was DXed with Celiac at the end of June, and told my family. Just about a month ago I was talking to my older sister and she asked, "so you can only eat white bread"? I was shocked! :o I had to explain to her what gluten was and that it's in most flour, bread, pasta, and baked goods. She had no idea.
I hope she never gets Celiac.

If she does, she has YOU to help her. :)

We all had to learn this information from the ground up.
I had no clue how many foods contained gluten and learning was often riddled with mistakes.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#8 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,765 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:08 PM

She told me her daughter is 30 years old. that's all I know.

Okay now it makes more sense. I couldn't understand how someone who was feeding a celiac child could have so little knowledge about the disease. As Irish suggested maybe you could print out some info to give her next time you see her. Make sure you let her know not to go gluten free till after she gets tested.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#9 Diane-in-FL

Diane-in-FL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:46 PM

Apparently there are people who have no clue what flour is actually made from. I can understand maybe not knowing what gluten is, but not knowing that regular flour is made from wheat just amazes me. :blink:
Gluten Free since 2010

#10 jeanzdyn

jeanzdyn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:28 PM

Apparently there are people who have no clue what flour is actually made from. I can understand maybe not knowing what gluten is, but not knowing that regular flour is made from wheat just amazes me. :blink:

I too have noticed that people are extremely ignorant or just plain don't think things through. I wonder where they think flour comes from.... maybe it grows on trees... or it is mined from the ground....
The next person I meet who does not know that flour is made from wheat --I am going to ask where they think flour comes from.
What is food to one man may be fierce poison to others. —--Lucretius

I miss bread! But I love Kinnikinnick gluten free pizza crust.

Diagnosed celiac disease: November 2011 (biopsy and endoscopy)
other conditions: asthma, arthritis

#11 WinterSong

WinterSong

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:52 AM

A co-worker and I were talking about Celiac, and an older woman approached my desk. She asked what we were talking about then said, "Oh, my son had Celiac when he was a baby, but he grew out of it." It just made me kinda sad.

Diagnosed with IBS - Fall 2007

Diagnosed with Celiac via blood test (tTg off the charts) - March 18th, 2011

Gluten free as of March 25th, 2011 and going strong!

Positive biopsy April 1st, 2011

Blood test results back down to normal levels November 2012

#12 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:17 AM

I too have noticed that people are extremely ignorant or just plain don't think things through. I wonder where they think flour comes from.... maybe it grows on trees... or it is mined from the ground....
The next person I meet who does not know that flour is made from wheat --I am going to ask where they think flour comes from.

But, that's a tricky question, since "flour" comes from many places--rice, soy, beans, corn, tapioca, coconut, almonds, amaranth--to name a few. We all use them in our baking, right?

Make sure you ask "Where do you think wheat flour comes from?"

People do not associate WHITE flour used in baking as WHEAT.

They just don't.

It does not mean they are "stupid" --they just have never thought about it before.

You will be telling them something NEW! :) It's your chance to educate someone.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#13 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:19 AM

A co-worker and I were talking about Celiac, and an older woman approached my desk. She asked what we were talking about then said, "Oh, my son had Celiac when he was a baby, but he grew out of it." It just made me kinda sad.

I hope you told her that people do not "outgrow celiac"?

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#14 WinterSong

WinterSong

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:36 AM

I hope you told her that people do not "outgrow celiac"?

Yeah, but the really sad thing was that she just kinda waved it off and didn't listen.

Diagnosed with IBS - Fall 2007

Diagnosed with Celiac via blood test (tTg off the charts) - March 18th, 2011

Gluten free as of March 25th, 2011 and going strong!

Positive biopsy April 1st, 2011

Blood test results back down to normal levels November 2012

#15 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,234 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:45 AM

Yeah, but the really sad thing was that she just kinda waved it off and didn't listen.

I don't know how long ago this person was a kid. I know people that were "diagnosed" with Celiac 50 years ago that "out grew" it. They have current bloods & endos. It appears they really had a wheat allergy that they out grew. I believe its commonly accepted that you can outgrow an allergy.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: