17 replies to this topic

#16 Lizanne

Lizanne

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:43 AM

Thanks for the info on PF Changs. I think I will eat there this weekend for the first time. I already viewed their gluten free menu online and thought they had a large selection of items to choose from. I get nervous trying new places but know I have to expand from the 2 restaurants I have trusted since finding out I have Celiac Disease in July.
Gluten-Free Since July 2012

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Javamom

Javamom

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 02:25 AM

Had a great experience at PF Changs! The server made a rather comical error though. The gluten-free menu stated that the entrees came with brown or white steamed rice, or you could sub gluten-free fried rice instead for a dollar more. We went for the sub, or so we thought. The server didn't know the gluten-free menu very well (I am hoping his mistake was not intentional anyway) instead of giving us the add on, he ordered us full orders of gluten-free fried rice. We had food covering every surface of the table!! LOL It was delish and we took home the extra, but next time, I will point to the add-on item on the menu.

By contrast, we went to Red Lobster and ordered all of the "safe" items. My dinner glutened me (hence I am up at 5AM on a Sunday). The only difference between my dinner and my gluten-free husband's dinner: a baked potato with butter and sour cream. I have no idea what or how, but I am paying the price for it.

I truly believe that I am going to have to limit my going out to places only like PF Chang's, or my weekends (the times we like to dine out as a family) are going to be painful.

#18 Lizanne

Lizanne

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:36 AM

Had a great experience at PF Changs! The server made a rather comical error though. The gluten-free menu stated that the entrees came with brown or white steamed rice, or you could sub gluten-free fried rice instead for a dollar more. We went for the sub, or so we thought. The server didn't know the gluten-free menu very well (I am hoping his mistake was not intentional anyway) instead of giving us the add on, he ordered us full orders of gluten-free fried rice. We had food covering every surface of the table!! LOL It was delish and we took home the extra, but next time, I will point to the add-on item on the menu.

By contrast, we went to Red Lobster and ordered all of the "safe" items. My dinner glutened me (hence I am up at 5AM on a Sunday). The only difference between my dinner and my gluten-free husband's dinner: a baked potato with butter and sour cream. I have no idea what or how, but I am paying the price for it.

I truly believe that I am going to have to limit my going out to places only like PF Chang's, or my weekends (the times we like to dine out as a family) are going to be painful.

Glad to hear about the positive experience at PF Changs. I tried to go last night but the wait was too long. I will attempt to go there next weekend. Went to my usual Uno, I have eaten there the most since being diagnosed.
Sorry about your experience at Red Lobster. It's so unfair how we have to suffer from eating food, especially when we are careful about it. Hope you feel better soon.
Gluten-Free Since July 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: