29 replies to this topic

#1 Finally@45

Finally@45

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:15 AM

I noticed someone last posted about IHOP over a year ago and I thought it would be worth keeping a reminder out there. It's easy to get fooled ito thinking if you order hash browns and eggs/omlet and ask for it to be prepared on a clean grill separate from everything else you're safe. (The waitress/waiter will always try to assure you they are actually complying with your request; she/he has ulterior motives.)

Anyway, it needs to be clear that IHOP puts pancake batter in the omlets and the hash browns are not gluten free. These 2 items "sound" gluten-free! It's not even worth the risk of having them prepared on the same grill as the pancakes anyway. I have kids that love IHOP (because mommy won't cook pancakes at home) and I end up having a cup of coffee and talking while everyone else eats.

Celiac & Mastocytosis

Follows a diet similar to the Paleo diet, minus high-histamine items such as

avocadoes, mangoes, papaya, berries, pork, farm-raised fish, spinach, and seeds.

No eggs or red meat either.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:07 AM

My experience with IHOP is that you ask for the fresh egg omelet and omelets are never cooked in the same place as pancakes. I've never gotten sick from one. I don't do the hash browns.

richard

#3 lichjen

lichjen

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:22 PM

You can ask for the eggs at I Hop with out the batter in the eggs - I know when I ate low carb I was able to do that and they did make special eggs
~Liz~
Mom to James

#4 CeliacAndCfsCrusader

CeliacAndCfsCrusader

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:00 PM

Yes, putting some pancake batter is the norm for their omelettes.

A kind waitress told me when I was first diagnosed and she talked to the cooks to make me a separate order (coffee and omelette, the only for sure safe thing there).

Did not get sick!

#5 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:40 PM

I don't personally think IHOP is a safe place to eat if you have gluten issues. I can't speak for the hash browns. I don't know if they contain gluten or not. But... They are making pancake batter. So flour is in the air.

#6 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:48 AM

I'm certain the IHOP pancake batter comes already mixed in containers -- that's how they make sure they taste the same from restaurant to restaurant. There's no flour flying from mixing it up. I've had good luck at IHOP asking for the fresh egg omelettes.

richard

#7 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:06 AM

I'm a chicken. I order eggs hard-fried so I can see that there is egg and nothing else. :lol: A little bacon (I have never seen gluten in bacon) and gluten-free toast from my purse and I'm good to go. I'll do that at pretty much any greasy spoon.

#8 ChristenDG

ChristenDG

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:49 PM

I was curious about IHop. My husband has been wanting to go, but I couldn't find much ingredient information on their website so I was afraid I would just be asking for eggs as plain as I could get them.

I am glad to know they put pancake batter in their eggs though...that just seems strange!
------------------------------------------------
Bipolar Disorder: 02/2010
Celiac Disease: 02/06/2012
Gluten-Free: 02/15/2012
------------------------------------------------

#9 CeliacAndCfsCrusader

CeliacAndCfsCrusader

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:32 PM

I was told that they use it to make their omelettes "fluffy".

Also, IMO, I'd only order bacon out if I knew it was both gluten-free and the pan used was not c/c.

I would not trust a "griddle", they cook everything on there and I'd be confident c/c would be typical.

#10 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,318 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:36 PM

I was told that they use it to make their omelettes "fluffy".

Also, IMO, I'd only order bacon out if I knew it was both gluten-free and the pan used was not c/c.

I would not trust a "griddle", they cook everything on there and I'd be confident c/c would be typical.

I have never seen bacon, at least in the US, with gluten. Where it's cooked might be an issue.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#11 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:47 PM

I have never seen bacon, at least in the US, with gluten. Where it's cooked might be an issue.

I'm in Canada, on the diet for over eleven years. I, too, have yet to find a bacon with gluten. I suppose anything is possible. I expect if it does turn up, it will be delivered by the Tooth Fairy, who is represented by an inexpensive lawyer. Well, I can dream, can't I? I don't worry about bacon. B)
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#12 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:20 PM

If it weren't too expensive, Peter, I would send you some gluten-containing bacon by special delivery from New Zealand. I know it would be inedible by the time it got there, but it would be inedible for you anyway because of the gluten that would be in it. We have to check every package. Don't know if they do it in Oz too?? I have to pray that the Tooth Fairy has delivered gluten free bacon :P I have a couple of reliable bacon companies who do no gluten. Same with sausages. So even when in U.S. I automatically check all ham, bacon, hot dogs and sausages because I don't want to get out of the habit :rolleyes:
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#13 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,318 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:26 AM

If it weren't too expensive, Peter, I would send you some gluten-containing bacon by special delivery from New Zealand. I know it would be inedible by the time it got there, but it would be inedible for you anyway because of the gluten that would be in it. We have to check every package. Don't know if they do it in Oz too?? I have to pray that the Tooth Fairy has delivered gluten free bacon :P I have a couple of reliable bacon companies who do no gluten. Same with sausages. So even when in U.S. I automatically check all ham, bacon, hot dogs and sausages because I don't want to get out of the habit :rolleyes:

That's why I said US. I have heard that in the UK & in NZ, they like to add trash fillers to things like sausages. And now bacon. Its a bunch of baloney! :(

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#14 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:47 AM

I just want to remind people that with such a global economy and politics running rampant, check every label.

When my dughter was hospitalized, the apple juice was from Germany. This hospital is on the borderline of Detroit, Mi. We have many local apple orchards here. I can not see how it would be cost efficient to get apple juice from Germany when there is local manufacturers.

Half of the label was in German. I went to the vending machine and bought her Vernor's. ;) ;)
Michigan

#15 lichjen

lichjen

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:02 AM

speaking of IHOP I wnet last night as we had a 2 free meals coupon from the district manager (we had a BAD experience before I went BF) - we went to a different restaurant tho LOL. Before we sat down. told the manager I was gluten-free. He said he would clean the grill. I got chicken, seasoned potatoes and broccoli. I didn't know it but the seasonings in the potatoes had gluten in them and he didn't use the seasonings!! wtg manager!!
~Liz~
Mom to James

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: