Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

IHOP

30 posts in this topic

I had been doing very well eating out lately up until my son made me try IHOP today. I had 2 eggs, hashbrowns and sausage and have been sick ever since. I checked the allergen info and supposedly, I made good choices so there must have been some mega cross contamination going on. I just wanted to warn everyone in case this is the norm for the chain. I did advise the server that I cannot have wheat so to keep toast and etc as far away from my food as possible but it still did not work. I will NOT be back.

Hi Karen...I have not checked recently...but I do know IHOP has a history of adding pancake batter to their eggs to make them more fluffy...I don't see how any eggs cooked there would be safe if this is still their practice.

Welcome to the forum....come on in and stay a while :)

Ads by Google:

Although I would be wary of eating at any restaurant that makes most of their food with wheat four, if you find yourself at IHOP and are willing to take the risk, they do have an allergen list posted online. 

http://www.ihop.com/-/media/ihop/PDFs/allergeninformation.ashx

As mentioned by others, they add pancake batter to most of their omelettes. (URRGH!) But they do have 'SIMPLE & FIT Spinach, Mushroom & Tomato Omelette' without batter. You can get that with fruit and/or Hash browns are also listed as gluten free. When ordering, I would make sure to ask the waitress to be sure this is prepared safely and they don't mix up your order.

Others mentioned that you *could* ask for any omelette without batter but I would personally be afraid someone would forget and poison me.

If in doubt, stick with coffee.

I got sick by going into one by LAX when my wife wanted to eat something before getting on a plane home. 

Flour is in the air everywhere!

Although I would be wary of eating at any restaurant that makes most of their food with wheat four, if you find yourself at IHOP and are willing to take the risk, they do have an allergen list posted online. 

http://www.ihop.com/-/media/ihop/PDFs/allergeninformation.ashx

As mentioned by others, they add pancake batter to most of their omelettes. (URRGH!) But they do have 'SIMPLE & FIT Spinach, Mushroom & Tomato Omelette' without batter. You can get that with fruit and/or Hash browns are also listed as gluten free. When ordering, I would make sure to ask the waitress to be sure this is prepared safely and they don't mix up your order.

Others mentioned that you *could* ask for any omelette without batter but I would personally be afraid someone would forget and poison me.

If in doubt, stick with coffee.

I still think the best breakfast is at home. I make some mean hashbrowns and also it's much safer. When needing to eat the morning on the go I always carry something in my purse or I swing by the market for fruit (apple, banana, etc) It's hard not going out to breakfast but it's so much safer. But if your going to do it anyways. Don't get eggs in an omlet or scrambled. Sunny side or over medium, etc is the best option, can't put pancake batter in that and if they do, you'd know ;)

iHOP is such a huge gamble. Personally, it's not worth it to me when one meal can throw me off for 2 months. I stick to restaurants that have a plan for people who need to be gluten free. I've never gotten sick from Mellow Mushroom, which makes their own pizza crust in house. They are aware of Celiac disease and have a plan to cater to those customers. I've never gotten sick from a PF Changs. They are absolutely amazing with their gluten free options and their kitchen practices.

Also, don't trust Urban Spoon. I don't know what criteria a restuarant has to have to be "Gluten Free Friendly", but it isn't much. A gluten free menu isn't enough. Several months ago we went to a Mexican Restuarant and should have known to get up and walk out when they brought me their gluten free menu which was printed on green, laminated construction paper with about 7 items out of a menu that was 4 pages long. I THOUGHT I was safe with queso and chips. Nope.

A couple months ago we went to one of my favorite local seafood restuarants that I used to frequent before getting diagnosed. I knew what I could order so I made an order and asked for no hushpuppies on my plate and no croutons on my salad. The waitress put it on the ticket and the kitchen ignored it. When I sent it back, the kitchen had a hissy fit. The poor waitress argued with them about having to throw that food out and remake the dish, which they reluctantly did.

That's not "gluten free friendly". That's inept about something so much as an allergy, much less celiac disease. The food was fine and I'm pretty sure no one spit in it. But it's not a gamble I'm willing to take again. If a restaurant doesn't want to accomodate, that's fine. But I've learned not to take Urban Spoon at face value.