11 replies to this topic

#1 lovegrov

lovegrov

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:27 AM

This is sort of embarrassing to admit but maybe posting will help keep somebody else from doing the same type of thing in the future.

We were out of town a couple of weeks ago and I saw some Midel cookie gluten-free flavors I hadn't seen before, so I bought two bags. Sunday afternoon I opened the lemon ones and ate a few. A couple of hours later I developed a headache and a few minutes later was throwing up. Yep, the lemon ones were NOT gluten-free but were sitting right beside other gluten-free flavors in the store. Somehow I saw them as gluten-free when I picked them up and I never looked at the label again. It's the first time in more than 10 years I've made that sort of mistake, so it shows that experience doesn't make you immune to stupidity.

My reaction lasted only a few hours but unfortunately those few hours were during the time my wife and I were supposed to go see Chris Thile and the Punch Brothers in concert. Bummer.

richard

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:33 AM

That's a good reminder to stay vigilant! I catch myself "assuming" a bit too much at times.

Glad you made a quick recovery richard. :)
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 alex11602

alex11602

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:58 AM

Glad that your reaction didn't last long.

And those Mi-del cookies are tricky ones sometimes...a store down the road from us has the wheat filled ginger ones right in between the packages of gluten free ones. My husband said something to the manager but they didn't change it.

#4 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:41 PM

Oh no! Sorry this happened to you. Glad your symptoms resolved quickly, even though you had to miss the show.

It was good of you to share this info about the Midel cookies and to tell us even 10 -year "veterans" make boo-boos once and a while.

I made a doozy with an "alleged" gluten-free flourless cake in Dec. that gave me symptoms for 2 months. (upscale restaurant menu said it was but the bakery it came from makes many flour products, too) My bad.

Glad you are okay! :)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#5 Silencio

Silencio

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:38 AM

I did the same thing with pasta in the organic section. Just assumed it was also gluten free and didn't notice it wasn't til the next time I was about to buy it.
CANADIAN!

#6 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:23 PM

So sorry you got glutened and had to miss the show. :(

Thanks for posting your story. It will alert others to watch more carefully. I've noticed they are putting organic and gluten free items together on the shelves. We have to continue to read labels...sigh.

#7 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:15 AM

Can you tell me, do you normally throw up when glutened? I don't. A few weeks ago I got really sick with a lot of throwing up to the point where I was barely conscious. My husband took care of me or I probably would have thrown up all over myself and everything around me and who knows, chocked to death.

I assumed it wasn't gluten because it was so different from my reaction to trace levels. I had no idea what it could have been. Maybe I got a big dose somehow? Is throwing up more likely to happen with a big dose?

#8 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:23 AM

Ugh Richard--can happen to the best of us. Just sorry you had to miss the show.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#9 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:23 PM

I don't think that throwing up is necessarily "normal" in general, but on the 3-4 occasions that I KNOW I've gotten a decent dose of gluten, I've had a headache and thrown up. The nausea hits anywhere between 2 and 4 hours after ingesting and for a while it's fairly severe. Sometimes I have diarrhea and sometimes I don't. I also generally have some chills or sweats, which I also had for weeks before and after my diagnosis. There's no way in heck I could EVER do a challenge, not that there'd ever be any need for me to do so. I was diagnosed by blood test and biopsy.

richard

#10 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:28 PM

I don't think that throwing up is necessarily "normal" in general, but on the 3-4 occasions that I KNOW I've gotten a decent dose of gluten, I've had a headache and thrown up. The nausea hits anywhere between 2 and 4 hours after ingesting and for a while it's fairly severe. Sometimes I have diarrhea and sometimes I don't. I also generally have some chills or sweats, which I also had for weeks before and after my diagnosis. There's no way in heck I could EVER do a challenge, not that there'd ever be any need for me to do so. I was diagnosed by blood test and biopsy.

richard

This cookies have almost tripped me up, too.

I think its quite common for a headache to cause nausea so if the gluten gives you a headache then you might get nausea & vomitting.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#11 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:00 PM

Easy thing to do. I used to eat Midel cookies but stopped due to soy. They do have packages that look very similar. The stores I go to do the same thing too, putting the gluten-free cookies right next to the non-gluten-free cookies. I have had to look twice to make sure which are gluten-free.

Lots of stores put the FFL Ezikiel bread next the gluten-free bread too.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#12 faithforlife

faithforlife

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:27 PM

I've done that! I spit out a mouth full once! Lol!

Faith For Life
Family History of terminal diabetes, acid reflux, etc.
2010-My 4 yr. old son- chronic diarrhea (3-5x a day since he was 12 months old)and chronic anemia,positive for 2 gluten sensitive antibodies, the genes, inflammation
(no villous atrophy found)
2011-entire family positive for genetics for celiac
2011-myself- positive gluten antibodies across the board
Family is successfully gluten free and some lactose free, studying Specific Carbohydrate Diet and Paleo Diet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: