6 replies to this topic

#1 kimis

kimis

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:36 PM

I want to start taking a protein supplement because my diet low in protein. I tried a few whey protein powders so far but they (like everything else)bothered my stomach. Would taking amino acid caps do the same thing for me as taking protein powder? My main goal is to provide my muscles and connective tissues with what they need to recover from an injury.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:03 PM

Have you tried other protein powders? Perhaps dairy isn't so easy on your digestion, or you're intolerant/allergic to some degree. I prefer pea protein, but there's also rice protein and hemp protein. However, what about including more protein into your diet to begin with? There are many choices, including peas, beans, lentils, some grains such as amaranth, quinoa, and teff, and if you eat animal products there's eggs and meats.

As far as amino acid supplements, it does sound like it should be effective. Since the body doesn't really use whole proteins as they're ingested, but the digestive system breaks them down into the basic amino acids before absorption. However, the sources of the amino acids in a given supplement might present a problem, depending on what you're sensitive to.

HTH
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#3 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:08 PM

Dairy can be a hard one. I'd try some others. I've liked both hemp protein powder and pumpkin seed, but have also used rice (it's cheaper).
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#4 kimis

kimis

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:47 PM

I just looked up some of those different protein powders and I think I am going to try the hemp next. Thanks for the info!! I guess it couldn't hurt to take an amino acid supp too. I will also try to eat more meat.

#5 adab8ca

adab8ca

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:25 AM

I just looked up some of those different protein powders and I think I am going to try the hemp next. Thanks for the info!! I guess it couldn't hurt to take an amino acid supp too. I will also try to eat more meat.

I found the hemp protein to be inedible...Maybe see if you can get a sample?
TTG >200 (normal <10)
IgA gliadin 24 (normal <11)
IgG gliadin 38 (normal <11)
Endoscopy showed damage that looked like "classic celiac", biopsy showed total villous atrophy
Started gluten-free diet Aug 31, 2010
Only real symptoms are huge weight loss and neuropathy

#6 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:00 AM

Why don't you eat more naturally high-protein foods like egg whites and chicken breast? Processed foods are so hard to tolerate compared to natural foods. I've gotten very suspicious of anything that comes in a can or a carton. :lol:

#7 NorthernElf

NorthernElf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:55 AM

I agree. I eat a lot of eggs (I have had my cholesterol tested & it's fine). I have one egg a day @ breakfast & often egg salad for lunch (2 eggs, only 1 yolk). The yolk does have some good stuff in it.
Buy boxed chicken breast that you can take out individually. Buy quinoa - it's gluten free.
IMHO, natural source (ie. real food) is always better than some processed supplement. You don't need a lot of protein but you do need a bit throughout the day - I try to eat a bit at every snack/meal.
Peanut butter, almond butter.......yum.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: