46 replies to this topic

#1 lc1333

lc1333

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:28 PM

Almost 30 days gluten free-with only 2 mistakes (which i paid for dearly!) Last night I made my kids mac & cheese. I wanted some soooooo bad!!!! I almost gave in, but I didn't!! I was so frustrated, i almost gave and and thought, "to hell with it! i will go through the 3 days of hell to just taste it!!" but i didn't...

any suggestions on the best gluten free mac & cheese? not to mention, my mac & cheese obsessed 10 year old is bound to be gluten free within a few weeks, so I'm gonna need a replacement. B)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lichjen

lichjen

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:35 PM

I know Annies has a good boxed mac and cheese - I had some the other day - it's good!
~Liz~
Mom to James

#3 cait

cait

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:37 PM

My kids accepted the change to annie's gluten-free mac and cheese, and they're pretty picky about some things, so I'd take that as a good sign. Of course, now none of us can have dairy...
Dad has Celiac
Neg Celiac tests, positive gene test
Life vastly improved off gluten
Dunno what that makes me, but I'm not going back.
Now corn, soy, and dairy free

#4 xjrosie

xjrosie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:54 PM

My kids accepted the change to annie's gluten-free mac and cheese, and they're pretty picky about some things, so I'd take that as a good sign. Of course, now none of us can have dairy...

We don't like Annie's here. It's tolerated right now because we can't find an alternative.

Next time I make mac and cheese, I'm just going to use rice noodles and velveeta. My kids like homemade better anyways; you should try it, it's really good!

And, you can make it without dairy, just use a dairy free margarine and substitute extra margarine where the dairy goes. In our opinion, it makes it taste a little richer.

#5 lc1333

lc1333

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:58 PM

We don't like Annie's here. It's tolerated right now because we can't find an alternative.

Next time I make mac and cheese, I'm just going to use rice noodles and velveeta. My kids like homemade better anyways; you should try it, it's really good!

And, you can make it without dairy, just use a dairy free margarine and substitute extra margarine where the dairy goes. In our opinion, it makes it taste a little richer.

Velveeta is gluten free?????

#6 lc1333

lc1333

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:59 PM

they sell Annie's stuff at my local grocery store...I'll give it a try. Thanks!!!

#7 researchmomma

researchmomma

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:03 PM

Did you know that KRAFT mac and cheese packet is gluten free?

Here's what works best for us.

We take out the packet, throw out the gluten pasta. I make penne from Schaar (or brown rice spirals). While they drain I whisk together the milk, cheese packet and butter. This way it is all smooth and doesn't stick to the gluten-free pasta.

Then toss back in the pasta.

Guess what? My gluten-free son now likes this better than gluten pasta Mac and Cheese.

Give it a whirl.

PS: if you are super sensitive their could be gluten flakes on the outside of the packet. I dump out the pasta and then I take a moist paper towel and wipe down the outside of the packet. My daughter is pretty sensitive and hasn't been glutened yet.

#8 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:33 PM

I've even found the Kraft American Cheese in its own can! I had to ask about it at one grocery, but I think you can ask them to order it for you. Some gluten-free pasta, butter, milk, and the American Cheese powder is EXACTLY like the blue box mac and cheese.

We also make our own mac and cheese with different cheeses. It's easy. Look up any homemade mac and cheese recipe and make it gluten-free. Easy peasy!
luvs2eat
Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas
positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy
diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day
Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

#9 Kimbalou

Kimbalou

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:26 PM

AMY's frozen mac and cheese is the best!! They have 2 kinds, so make sure you get the rice pasta one which is gluten free! It's a good size for one person. The other boxed brands weren't very good IMO. Let me know what you think. Safeway has a lot of Amy's foods. Amy's has a good frozen gluten-free pizza too!
11/19/10 diagnosed with Celiac disease after positive blood test
12/14/10 Biopsy positive for Celiac disease

#10 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:43 PM

I make my own, but can't recall measurements.

Cook gluten-free shells in salted water, drain
Add some butter, lots of cheese and half&half

...to the consistency and taste that you prefer. Easy Peezy! :D (ditto)
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#11 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:01 PM

I make my own, but can't recall measurements.

Cook gluten-free shells in salted water, drain
Add some butter, lots of cheese and half&half

...to the consistency and taste that you prefer. Easy Peezy! :D (ditto)

That's pretty much our recipe. The Kraft cheddar powder is great for this.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#12 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:16 PM

I boil a bag of Tinkyada Shells in boiling salted water for 10 minutes--drain and set aside.

Meanwhile, whisk together in a saucepan 3 tablespoons of cornstarch, 2 1/2 cups of milk, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook over medium heat, whisking until mixture begins to bubble. Turn heat to low, add 1 tablespoon of butter, 4 tablespoons of good grated cheese (I use Locatelli Romano) and an 8 ounce brick of sharp cheddar cheese--grated. (I like Cabot)

Stir until cheese is melted and sauce is thick.

Combine pasta with the cheese sauce, sprinkle with more grated cheese, and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#13 lc1333

lc1333

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:32 PM

wow!! thanks y'all!! so there is hope!!! i'm try it out (all the different suggestions!)

my kids will be thrilled! (i can blame it on my kids, right???) ;)

#14 ndw3363

ndw3363

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:47 AM

I use the Kraft cheese packet as well, but I make mine with Quinoa pasta instead of the rice pasta. I've tried every brand of rice pasta I can find, and I just don't like it. So yes, I feel weird buying regular Kraft mac and cheese and then wasting food by throwing away the pasta, but I figure I only do this about once or twice a month, so it's my treat. Ok, now I really want some mac and cheese for breakfast :-)

#15 lynnelise

lynnelise

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:06 AM

I like the Annie's with the pack of cheese sauce in it better than the powdered sauce. I also like the Amy's frozen mac and cheese with rice noodles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: