46 replies to this topic

#16 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:14 AM

I made the Annie's boxed with the soft cheese packet..not the dried cheese. It was good..and my gluten eating son, who is very fussy, loved it. He even asked if there were left overs later.
It's a little pricey..but you're worth it! :D

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 kitgordon

kitgordon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:40 AM

Velveeta is gluten free. I make mac and cheese with Velveeta and rice or quinoa pasta (or both together, half and half) all the time. Even my gluteneaters like it.

#18 researchmomma

researchmomma

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:04 AM

I use the Kraft cheese packet as well, but I make mine with Quinoa pasta instead of the rice pasta. I've tried every brand of rice pasta I can find, and I just don't like it. So yes, I feel weird buying regular Kraft mac and cheese and then wasting food by throwing away the pasta, but I figure I only do this about once or twice a month, so it's my treat. Ok, now I really want some mac and cheese for breakfast :-)

We have tried every rice noodle as well. We finally landed on Schaar corn pasta and it holds up well in the thermos (I make pesto chicken pasta for my daughter with these). I also buy the tincy tiny ones to make "chicken and star soup". It is called Anneli or something like that.

We find Schaar to be the best but the brown rice Tinkyada pasta with the cheese packet is really good. That is the only thing I like rice pasta in.

Seriously try the Kraft Packet with your favorite gluten-free pasta. My gluten eating son asks for it now. The other noodles seem mushy to him now, lol

Edited to add that for the best results whisk the cheese sauce and other ingredients first and then add the pasta back in.

Edited by researchmomma, 23 February 2012 - 09:05 AM.

#19 mbrookes

mbrookes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:08 AM

I like the Amy's frozen, but I add a small handful of Hormel's crumbled bacon (comes in a bag from Sam's and is marked gluten free).This with a small salad is a good lunch.

On homemade mac and cheese, try sprinkling the top with crumbled potato chips before you bake it.That gives a nice crunch with the smooth mac and cheese.

#20 Cara in Boston

Cara in Boston

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:24 PM

I make a big batch of homemade mac and cheese (Ancient Grains Quinoa Pasta) and then freeze it in individual portions. One of my sons and I are gluten-free, everyone else is not. This makes it easy to make a quick lunch or snack. I frequently pack it in my son's lunchbox thermos. Just take it out frozen, pop it in the microwave, put it into the thermos hot.

I used our regular recipe for mac and cheese, but use Pamela's gluten-free flour blend in the roux. I can then use reduced fat cheese (Cabot) and even add in some veggies (pureed butternut squash) to make it orange. He LOVES it and it is healthier and has less additives than the instant kind.

Cara

#21 Monklady123

Monklady123

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:47 PM

I buy Amy's frozen. (not *Annie's* boxed). Amy's pizza is horrible (imo) but she knows how to do mac and cheese. lol.

As someone said though, be careful not to accidentally buy the gluteny one -- the boxes look similar.

#22 Cathey

Cathey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:09 PM

Just last week I was craving Mac & Cheese. I made my own, very simple and quick. I added pancetta and sauteed onions.

I used Tinkyada brown rice elbows 8 ozs.

Made a roux with
3T butter
1/4 C King Arthur Flour All Purpose

add 2 Cups warm milk
Stir till tickened

Add a combination of cheese's total of 4 cups
Gruyere
Swiss
Mexican mix
Cheddar

I added sauteed pancetta and onions, S & P to taste.

I put in baking dish, topped with sliced tomato (need the healthy, makes me feel less guilty) sprinkled with bread homemade bread crumbs and baked till bubbly.

It was so creamy and you could of eaten it out of the pot, I choose to bake it. WARNING I probably used tooooo much cheese you could use less.

#23 jeanzdyn

jeanzdyn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:58 PM

I would use rice noodles, whatever kind you can find that you like.
And Velveeta, maybe a little butter or milk, and a touch of parmesan cheese.
make it "to taste", I like just a little bit of pepper, like tip the
pepper shaker over the pot once and then stir to mix well.
What is food to one man may be fierce poison to others. —--Lucretius

I miss bread! But I love Kinnikinnick gluten free pizza crust.

Diagnosed celiac disease: November 2011 (biopsy and endoscopy)
other conditions: asthma, arthritis

#24 Wenmin

Wenmin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:12 PM

Boil corn noodles until done. Drain and rinse with water and place in 9 x 13 pan. In large glass bowl, melt 1-1 1/2 lbs velveeta, 1 can evaporated milk, and 1 stick of butter in microwave in 2-3 minute increments, stirring after each session. When completely melted, pour over macaroni. Mix until completely combined, add sliced velveeta cheese on top to cover entire pan of macaroni and bake for about 30-50 minutes until top starts to brown. (don't use American Cheese- I don't think it is gluten free)

Enjoy!

Wenmin

#25 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:15 PM

There is also a frozen mac n cheese from Glutino. (only makes gluten free products)
Be careful about the Amy's because there are different versions. You need the rice noodle one, which is marked gluten free.
Annie's has 2 gluten free box mixes one with cheese sauce packet and one with powder mix. There are also gluten versions of Annie's.
By far any homemade mac n cheese beats the boil in box kits. ;)
Michigan

#26 GFSAHmom

GFSAHmom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:46 PM

DelBoles Elbow Corn Macaroni, velteeta Cheese, milk, butter. YUMMMMYYY I loooove it and i'm a mac n cheese fan! my 2.5yr old loves it too:)
2yr old son with Celiac (Diagnosed january 6 2012)
Blood work was >139 (normal <20)
Symptoms: Weightloss, tired, chronic constipation, white stool, NO appetite, failure to THRIVE.
Problems started 1 week before his 2nd Birthday when he first got sick with CROUP.
He is now on GLUTEN FREE diet and gaining weight, has energy, no constipation and THRIVING!

#27 lc1333

lc1333

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:04 AM

y'all are sooooo AWESOME!!! i'm gonna give it a try!! i might survive this!!! yay!!! THANK YOU!!!!

#28 modiddly16

modiddly16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:32 AM

Pastariso is hands down the best gluten free mac and cheese I've had (the one with the dolphin on the front), I get these delivered regularly to me from Amazon and even my husband says it tastes just like kraft!

#29 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:23 PM

Just last week I was craving Mac & Cheese. I made my own, very simple and quick. I added pancetta and sauteed onions.

I used Tinkyada brown rice elbows 8 ozs.

Made a roux with
3T butter
1/4 C King Arthur Flour All Purpose

add 2 Cups warm milk
Stir till tickened

Add a combination of cheese's total of 4 cups
Gruyere
Swiss
Mexican mix
Cheddar

I added sauteed pancetta and onions, S & P to taste.

I put in baking dish, topped with sliced tomato (need the healthy, makes me feel less guilty) sprinkled with bread homemade bread crumbs and baked till bubbly.

It was so creamy and you could of eaten it out of the pot, I choose to bake it. WARNING I probably used tooooo much cheese you could use less.

Yumm! You have me salivating!
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#30 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:52 PM

I make a recipe much like Patti's. I put more cheese on top and then breadcrumbs stirred with melted butter. You can add onion or whatever you feel like that day. One thing I have found is that gluten free macaroni (I have to use rice only) absorbs more of the sauce than gluten does so use less macaroni if you like it really creamy like I do :) or I suppose you could cook the macaroni iuntil it is more mushy :rolleyes: And then you have to have a supremely healthy green salad with it :D
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009