Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 Juliebove

Juliebove

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:52 AM

We eat the Annies with the powder but I add a little shredded cheddar for extra protein.

#33 freeatlast

freeatlast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:55 AM

Thanks for all the great suggestions, everyone!!!!

I always add about 1/4 t. of dry mustard to my cheese sauce to give it a little kick :)
Proofreader, copy editor, herb gardener and an evolving gluten-free cook.

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

#34 jenn42

jenn42

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:30 AM

Thank you so much for this thread!!!!!! We have missed mac and cheese!!!! My daughter said to take out the packet from Kraft and I told her I didn't think that would work...she was right!! I need to listen to her more often!!! LOVE THIS!!

#35 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:53 AM

Pastariso is available at the gluten-free Mall.

I tried this at a local gluten-free expo and bought four packages. Wish I'd bought 3 times that! :)
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#36 Kimbalou

Kimbalou

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:37 PM

I make a recipe much like Patti's. I put more cheese on top and then breadcrumbs stirred with melted butter. You can add onion or whatever you feel like that day. One thing I have found is that gluten free macaroni (I have to use rice only) absorbs more of the sauce than gluten does so use less macaroni if you like it really creamy like I do :) or I suppose you could cook the macaroni iuntil it is more mushy :rolleyes: And then you have to have a supremely healthy green salad with it :D

Breadcrumbs?! I hope they are gluten-free! lol
11/19/10 diagnosed with Celiac disease after positive blood test
12/14/10 Biopsy positive for Celiac disease

#37 goldi

goldi

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:55 PM

I made a simple "Hamburger Helper" type mac & cheese for the 1st time the other night using Tinkyada(big fan) brown rice elbows, milk,butter, and Velveeta, with some browned ground beef added. It was easily as good as any gluten mac & cheese. Best to under cook elbows if also baking.

#38 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:10 AM

If you want rich, cheesey and creamy, this is the recipe you are looking for. It is all from scratch but easy and delicious and has four cheeses in it. I dislike the flavour and texture of Tinkyada pasta so I use a vegetable pasta or homemade pasta instead.
http://glutenfreecoo...cheese.htm?nl=1
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#39 jenn42

jenn42

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:49 PM

Is the Kraft Deluxe cheese gluten free?

#40 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:03 PM

Is the Kraft Deluxe cheese gluten free?

I would just buy velveeta :) Unless you have some left over, however, I wouldn't want to touch the pouch. I'm that paranoid :unsure:
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Endo biopsy positive 5/10
Gluten free 5/10

#41 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:10 PM

Everyone has different taste, I like Tinkyada. It's the best in my area. I dislike corn pasta's, just me.My son thinks the corn pasta is too mushy. I have a crockpot mac and cheese that I will post later. My children who do not have to eat gluten-free, like the Tinkyada with velveeta or american cheese and butter. I like to add cheddar, but they do not. I think taking the time to do a baked mac and cheese is worth it too. Experiment with what sounds good to you :)
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Endo biopsy positive 5/10
Gluten free 5/10

#42 desperateforhealth

desperateforhealth

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:43 PM

Ugghhhh I have been craving mac and cheese so much lately... but I can't have dairy. Looks like you got some great suggestions though!

#43 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:08 AM

Ugghhhh I have been craving mac and cheese so much lately... but I can't have dairy. Looks like you got some great suggestions though!

I bet there's a way to make it dairy free. A short time ago I saw Daiya "cheese" in Giant Foods...it is non-dairy and is supposed to melt. And I would think a non-dairy milk could be substituted. I did eliminate cheese right after diagnosis and it was a whole lot harder giving it up than gluten so I hear you on the cravings.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#44 Fire

Fire

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:34 PM

Almost 30 days gluten free-with only 2 mistakes (which i paid for dearly!) Last night I made my kids mac & cheese. I wanted some soooooo bad!!!! I almost gave in, but I didn't!! I was so frustrated, i almost gave and and thought, "to hell with it! i will go through the 3 days of hell to just taste it!!" but i didn't...

any suggestions on the best gluten free mac & cheese? not to mention, my mac & cheese obsessed 10 year old is bound to be gluten free within a few weeks, so I'm gonna need a replacement. B)

Here's a recipe:

I USE TINKYADA RICE PASTA BECAUSE THEIR FACILITY IS DEDICATED TO RICE ONLY AND THERE'S NO CHANCE FOR CROSS-CONTAMINATION.

2C RICE PASTA (MACARONI, SHELLS, FUSSILI, WHO CARES?)
2.5QT CASSEROLE DISH

IN A BLENDER:
1C RAW CASHEWS
1LG RED BELL PEPPER (RAW OR ROASTED)
2tp KOSHER SALT (IODIZED SALT MAY FLARE UP OUR SKIN RASH)
1tp GARLIC POWDER
1sm ONION
1tp CELERY SEED
2TB RAW SESAME SEEDS
(MAKE SURE YOU GRIND THE CELERY + SESAME SEEDS WELL BEFORE ADDING THEM TO THE BLENDER)
6TB NUTRITIONAL YEAST
1C ROASTED GARLIC OLIVE OIL (YOU CAN USE REGULAR OLIVE OIL, BUT THIS IS BETTER)
1/3C LEMON JUICE (FRESH SQUEEZED AND STRAINED FOLKS!)
1C WATER

BOIL PASTA

WHEN THE PASTA'S ALMOST DONE ADD ALL YOUR OTHER INGREDIENTS TO THE BLENDER AND BLEND ON THE HIGHEST SPEED FOR ABOUT 3-5 MINUTES, OR UNTIL IT'S COMPLETELY MIXED AND SMOOTH MAKING SURE YOU SCRAPE DOWN THE SIDES AS YOU GO.

DRAIN PASTA

PUT THE PASTA AND THE MIX IN THE DISH AND BAKE AT 375 FOR 1 HOUR

LET IT COOL FOR 1HOUR, THE FLAVORS BECOME MORE PRONOUNCED AS IT COOLS

FOR THOSE OF US WHO CAN'T DO GLUTEN OR DAIRY.

HOPE THIS HELPS.

#45 MrsVJW

MrsVJW

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:18 AM

Amy's does also make a gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free frozen mac & cheese that is pretty good (well, as good as something missing all that can be!). Not cheap, but it does the trick for times when you just want some mac & cheese and don't want to make it yourself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: