This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Rant Frustrated...feeling Compelled To Cheat..but Wont

Metoo

Metoo Enthusiast

I am at almost 4 months gluten free. I am not diagnosed with celiac, my blood test was negative, I decided not to go through with the scope, because I would have had to kept a food journal for 3 months to convince my doctor, I was just too fed up at that point so I went gluten free.

My mom has both celiac genes but test negative herself via blood test, her sister and her sister's kids all can no longer have gluten.

After going gluten free, I have not had any stomach pain problems for the entire 4 months! My hand cleared up entirely, which the prescription from the dermatologist couldn't do! I am not getting into running again, and I am actually seeing improvement, I was an avid runner 10 years ago...and the last 7 I have struggled with it.

But...I am finding myself frustrated. Frustrated that I am STILL not losing weight...and that often lately have thought about consuming gluten. I know what will happen if I do...over Christmas I did and my hand broked out so much worse, and I delt with the pain, broken skin for 5 weeks!

I guess this is one of those times I wish I had a diagnosis to keep me from eating gluten. So far I remember to think about my Christmas time ordeal...and what might happen next time. Or that I consumed vodka and within 2 hours I spent the whole day in the bathroom.

I am happy that my sister (who I believe has celiac), is finally going to get tested! Sometime in March. I hope she tests positive, if she does that will make it more concrete that I do have it.

I must say I think some of this frustration might stem from practically giving up dairy/lactose, I am still eating limitedly cheese, yogurt and almond milk. I am really limited now in eating at work, and I find myself frustrated and hungry at the end of eat day. I need to find more things I can bring to work. Really if I was losing weight, this whole starving in the afternoons at work might be alright. =)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Does the milk bother you for cetain? Maybe you could add some back in. I think some of the cheeses like cheddar have little to no lactose.

This seems reasonable and agrees with what I have heard before:

Open Original Shared Link

Metoo Enthusiast

Does the milk bother you for cetain? Maybe you could add some back in. I think some of the cheeses like cheddar have little to no lactose.

This seems reasonable and agrees with what I have heard before:

Milk bothers me for certain, if I drink raw milk I spend the rest of the day gassy, bloated and feeling awful. I took it out for 3 weeks and then tested it last weekend.

I am still eating like 1/2 cup greek yogurt per day and I am eating cheese, but I use it sparingly.

I am having 1 cup of almond milk per day...and still use cow milk sometimes to bake, for mac n cheese (1/2 cup for the whole 2 boxes)...so its very limited the amount I might actually be intaking.

kareng Grand Master

Milk bothers me for certain, if I drink raw milk I spend the rest of the day gassy, bloated and feeling awful. I took it out for 3 weeks and then tested it last weekend.

I am still eating like 1/2 cup greek yogurt per day and I am eating cheese, but I use it sparingly.

I am having 1 cup of almond milk per day...and still use cow milk sometimes to bake, for mac n cheese (1/2 cup for the whole 2 boxes)...so its very limited the amount I might actually be intaking.

I was hoping that if we could find you some fun things to eat, you might perk up. Have you tried goat cheese? Feta is delicious on salad or melted on pizza or a sandwich. The article says that it might be easier to digest.

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

It sounds like you have Celiac..or at least a strong gluten intolerance? With the genes in the family I think you are wise to stay gluten-free?

Can you take nuts to nibble on? They're good for you and will help with the hunger that makes you want to grab bad carbs. Almonds are tasty and healthy too.

The important thing is to not skip meals. Eating at regular intervals helps boost your metabolism.

Monael Apprentice

I think you have two issues going on. First, if you feel so much better without the gluten, then it seems to me like that would be your motivation to keep up with it.

The second issue is not losing weight. I wish gluten free diets meant losing weight because I should definitely lose several pounds. But it doesn't mean you will automatically lose weight.

I didn't get a diagnosis from the doctor for 2 reasons. #1, I already went gluten free and noticed such a big relief in my symptoms that I was happy to stay gluten free and #2 I didn't want to have to go back to eating gluten in order to get the diagnosis. I had already accidentally been glutened and had all my old symptoms back so that was good enough for me.

GFinDC Veteran

Hi,

It doesn't seem like you are really having a problem with dairy if you are eating yogurt, cheese, and using milk in baking. So if that is the case there may not be any need to restrict yourself from it. Do you have symptoms from eating dairy? If not don't worry about it. If you aren't sure then they way to find out is to stop all dairy completely for a few weeks and then try cheese first for a week and the next week try milk. Stopping something only partially is not much use for determining reactions.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Metoo Enthusiast

I was hoping that if we could find you some fun things to eat, you might perk up. Have you tried goat cheese? Feta is delicious on salad or melted on pizza or a sandwich. The article says that it might be easier to digest.

I think you are right. I went to the grocery store last night and tried buying a few different things. Maybe I just need a change of pace food wise.

IrishHeart Veteran

You cannot lose weight by starving yourself, hon! That messes up your metabolism.

You need some variety to keep you interested!

There are low carb muffins you can make with almond flour.

And returning to gluteny foods will likely cause you to GAIN weight as well as return those symptoms you just got rid of, so please don't do that! :)

Goat cheese products, more veggies and fruits, and smaller meals throughout the day may help? Eat 5-6 six smaller portions (instead of big meals) that include PROTEIN with carbs (some hummus or PB on a cracker, small amount of cheese with veggies, some grapes, etc ) and you may see a few lbs. drop off. I do this around 3 PM when I start feeling a little bit tired and hungry.

Too many gluten-free goodies just packs on the lbs.--I have learned. I had a 20 lb. swing UP once I went gluten-free! This was okay, since I was malnourised and had dropped 90 lbs. and was looking pretty scrawny but I do not need any more extra lbs. at this point. :lol: and so it is best to go with whole, fresh foods.

But I admit it, a handful of Cape Cod chips has been a snack around here too. :lol: (who doesn't like chips?)

llama3 Apprentice

If you're eating lots of processed gluten-free foods, crackers, breads, etc, that could be why you are not losing weight. I have found that I cannot eat these things, they give me all sorts of digestive problems. My favorite treat right now to satisfy my cravings is to combine, in a food processor, some nuts, dates, and coconut (flakes and oil), roll it up in little balls and refrigerate. They harden and make a great snack, sweet and chewy. Sometimes I will just eat nut butter with a spoon. Baked apples are good. I was going crazy too but it helped to find some things that feel like a treat, so I can feel that I'm indulging now and then.

IrishHeart Veteran

My favorite treat right now to satisfy my cravings is to combine, in a food processor, some nuts, dates, and coconut (flakes and oil), roll it up in little balls and refrigerate. They harden and make a great snack, sweet and chewy.

.....ooh, that sounds like "yum"!!! your very own (sort of )Larabar

and probably a lot cheaper, too. :)

llama3 Apprentice

.....ooh, that sounds like "yum"!!! your very own (sort of )Larabar

and probably a lot cheaper, too. :)

Exactly. :)

They are really good with toasted cashews and pecans.

IrishHeart Veteran

Exactly. :)

They are really good with toasted cashews and pecans.

Now, I want some... :lol:

Katrala Contributor

Or that I consumed vodka and within 2 hours I spent the whole day in the bathroom.

You can drink vodka on a gluten-free diet. It's safe once distilled.

Of course.. vodka can cause you to spend the whole day in the bathroom depending on how much you have.. :)

Archived