This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Constipation Please Go Away

Ninja

Ninja Contributor

After all the testing is done and over with for you I would suggest you try a gluten-free diet trial

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

burdee Enthusiast

Thank you so much! Luckily I have another very supportive PCP (albeit clueless) who would most certainly be willing to order the entire panel. I stopped consuming gluten about 5 weeks ago and am avoiding dairy most of the time

Ninja Contributor

burdee: Thank you!

Ninja Contributor

/begin vent...

I've been so incredibly frustrated lately. I finally get my BM's somewhat normal without taking mirilax daily, I finally began feeling a little relief from the fatigue, the gas, stomach pains, numbness, headaches, bloating and the D began to subside. My mood even started to regulate and then... I decide to eat a hershey bar. Not the safe 1.55 oz one, but the 4.4 oz one which plainly states "emulsifiers." Well I reacted and I'm feeling so defeated. Between the first ER visit for a "suspected" fecal impaction (which they said was high up), the second ER visit 2 days later for kidney stones and now a cold/sinus infection which prevented me from going to a gymnastics meet this weekend, I'm just done. I feel exactly like that run-on sentence

IrishHeart Veteran

The emulsifiers in the candy bar are probably not from gluten.

I suspect you are having a reaction to the milk in the chocolate?

Since steroids are given in the case of refractory sprue, and they suppress the autoimmune system, it would make sense to me that they could very well effect the outcome of your testing result, showing low antibodies.

Did the doctor think of this when testing you for Celiac???

I am sorry you are having a bad day, honey (hug) and the last thing you need is someone mocking your anxiety. It is a very REAL symptom of gluten and you are not alone. I never had it in my life until the celiac triggered and it is scary and uncomfortable and I lived with it for 3 years until it subsided after going gluten-free. I only have it return if I am "hit" by CC. <_< I HATE that sensation. ugh!

Ninja Contributor

I thought it was the milk too until I realized I did fine with the smaller one a few weeks earlier. Then I read that it could be hidden in the emulsifiers. I should probably send them an email.

Thank you, I really don't mean to sound melodramatic or complain, I've just had a slew of not so great luck. I know I should be thinking about all of the people who have had it so much worse... Thank you for all of the advice and support everyone. It helps a lot. :)

~Laura

IrishHeart Veteran

You are not melodramatic, honey, you feel yucky and this is the place where you can b**ch and no one will think you a drama queen.

(well, there are some DQs on here, too.... :ph34r: ) :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ninja Contributor

(well, there are some DQs on here, too.... :ph34r: ) :lol:

:lol:

IrishHeart Veteran

SSSHHHH be cool now,....don't tell anyone I said that.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

man, I just wanna give that sweet doggie face a big smoochie ...he, she? is so CUTE!!!

Ninja Contributor

SSSHHHH be cool now,....don't tell anyone I said that.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

man, I just wanna give that sweet doggie face a big smoochie ...he, she? is so CUTE!!!

:ph34r:

She. :) That is actually a snapshot out of a video I took of her last year at the dog park. She was getting her neck scratched — she is such an itchy dog: she can't tolerate grains either. :-) The envy of all of us who would like naturally white teeth!

IrishHeart Veteran

Those are some pearly white chompers!! :lol: good for her!

My cat Bella doesn't eat any grains eaither. Her coat is luxurious--- since she adopted us :lol: and went gluten-free, too. She was a mess when we found her and now, she is GORGEOUS.

You know, if I thought my hair would grow back in that thick, I would eat her kitty cat canned salmon, too. :)

Ninja Contributor

So soft and cuddly.... :)

I think my dogs would choose a carrot over a milkbone any day. :unsure:

You know' date=' if I thought my hair would grow back in that thick, I would eat her kitty cat canned salmon, too.[/quote']

IrishHeart Veteran

I think my dogs would choose a carrot over a milkbone any day. :unsure:

me, too.... :lol:

(there's wheat gluten in those things...I wish I had known all this back when I had my lab....)

Ninja Contributor

me, too.... :lol:

(there's wheat gluten in those things...I wish I had known all this back when I had my lab....)

Actually I think she chomps the carrots to keep her teeth clean and white... ;-)

YES! It's terrible and it's everywhere!

IrishHeart Veteran

Actually I think she chomps the carrots to keep her teeth clean and white... ;-)

YES! It's terrible and it's everywhere!

It's why Bugs Bunny has such a beautiful smile.

Yes, kiddo, life is a gluten-filled landmine...but being wise about CC is your Kevlar vest. :)

You're going to be okay. Hang in there and get your list of questions ready for the doctor. Keep us posted.

Ninja Contributor

I went to the GI doctor today. He was WONDERFUL! I'm so happy! More details to come. :D

alimore33 Newbie

Hiya, constipation is the worst! Two things that definitely help me:

1. Epsom salt(magnesium)baths regularly

2. Castor Oil applied to belly at night. Use pads/a compress to keep the oil on the skin overnight.

3. Lemon juice freshly squeezed in warm water every morning.

Hope this helps.

Ninja Contributor

Thank you for your suggestions! Definitely going to give them a try

• 3 months later...
cap6 Enthusiast

Some people have chronic C it never gets better....I drink over a 1/2 gallon of pure water daily, take probiotics & digestive enzymes, eat a clean healthy diet with a large amount of fruits & veggies & also raw juices.... I have tried everything in the book but still have the problem. Being in the hospital twice for long periods of time I have seen many doctors. The bottom line is some people not just me have this problem..

Miralax is better than something like X-Lax or a stronger type thing...like ducolax.... Mineral oil is also better for your system than others. the main thing is not to become dependent on a laxative...Miralax & mineral oil do not ........I have learned now to take the miralax every other day & it works for me... But when I couldn't go in the hospital they were giving me it four to six times a day plus stronger drugs..I called it a poop cocktail........

once you find . your routine it all works out in the end! sorry for the pun....

I also have tried every home remedy that has ever been on the internet.net.. what works for some , not so much for others....

I take solid gold digestive enzyme & alternate probiotics monthly....Dr. Ohirra's, pearls, sustenex & others...

I have been gluten-free just over 2 years and still suffer from chronic C. It is better...some. Like you I drink 3/4 gallon of water a day, eat lots of fiber, the whole healthy thing. Take probiotics, suplements, molasses (to heal the gut), aloe and then I added a herbal laxative tea, Smooth Move (hate that name!!). Went over it with my dr and she said it was quite safe. I've been on that for almost a year and that is the only thing that keeps things moving. Now I take it every other night and that seems to work. Miralax didn't do much of anything for me. It's all in what works for you. I've seen three different dr and all said some people are just born constiapted. <_<

• 2 months later...
ncdave Apprentice

Hello ninja,

I haven"t visited your thread in a while, looks like you"ve made great progress. I see you like chocolate but have gone dairy free. Have you found the enjoy life brand chocolate? It"s dairy, nut, soy, and gluten free. Made in a decitated nut and gluten free facility. It"s soooooooooo good !!! It"s a little hard to find, i have to drive a hour to get mine so i really stock up when i go. The trip home is very enjoyable.

cloudsxxx Newbie

I just joined this website today and literately JUST put up a post asking constipation is one of the symptoms of celiacs.....I dont have an answer for you but i think you may have answered my question , thanks lol

Ninja Contributor

I just joined this website today and literately JUST put up a post asking constipation is one of the symptoms of celiacs.....I dont have an answer for you but i think you may have answered my question , thanks lol

I'm glad the thread could help you! Yes it is a symptom; everybody's body reacts differently. The big "D" and constipation went away for me with the gluten-free lifestyle. There's hope! :)

• 3 months later...
Ninja Contributor

I just wanted to add a sort of "postscript" to this thread for anyone who may go across it by chance: my "constipation" was discovered by my PCP and an ER doctor. It was reviewed by a GI doctor not too long ago and I was subsequently told that it was NOT backed up stool, but it was instead built up gas. This makes sense given the repeated failures I had with stool softeners, laxatives, enemas of various varieties...

Food for thought!

Archived