#16 Ninja

Ninja

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:32 AM

Thanks IrishHeart!

I have done tons of reading (as I am generally interested in the field of medicine) on celiac, gluten intolerance, allergies and more generally, autoimmune diseases. I have many environmental allergies however, I am doubtful that the RAST testing will show anything. I do get very violent reactions to certain foods (muffins, cake-y things...go figure, lol) which is why the doc. wanted to run the IgE RAST testing. I suspect the thyroid results will hold the most value though.

The constipation is better: I definitely appreciate all of the suggestions — they helped a lot! I want to do whatever I can to make digestion an easier process for my body.

Wow, the links are great!

I thank every one of you from the bottom of my heart.
~Laura :)

P.S. IrishHeart: I'm so sorry you had to go through the kidney stones. :(

Gluten Free 2/12 

Let the soul speak with the silent articulation of a face

~Rumi

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Ninja

Ninja

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:05 AM

Just got a call from the doctor's office this morning with the results from the blood work. Thyroid, chemistry, IgE RAST and H. pylori testing all came back normal. Vitamin D level was low — nurse said the doctor told me to take 1000 IU's a day. Told me to follow up with the GI but that my doctor said it was likely Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

If doctor's diagnosed Celiac as easily as they do IBS, there might be less undiagnosed and misdiagnosed out there. It makes me mad. I'm going to get my hands on those results and look them over myself — can't trust the doctors to look beyond the "ranges." GI appointment March 14th. Nervous: if I hear another garbage dx of IBS I am going to lose it.

On the bright side, I think I have an inkling as to why I have been struggling with constipation. I tend to get pale (very light??), smooth, small (narrow) and soft stools. So narrow, in fact, that my intestines have a hard time grabbing on, consequently, allowing build ups. Who knew D (some form) could cause C?

Thank you,

Gluten Free 2/12 

~Rumi

#18 Ninja

Ninja

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:56 AM

So I FINALLY got the most recent blood test results. A few things that stick out:

Potassium is good — 4.8 Ref. Range (3.4-5.1)
Calcium is also good — 9.1 Ref. Range (8.4-10.2)
Sodium — 139 Ref. Range (135-145)
Chloride — 102 Ref. Range (98-107)
CO2 — 25 Ref. Range (21-32)
ANION GAP — 17 Ref. Range (10-20)
Creatine is slightly elevated which makes sense given the kidney stone issues which surfaced the next day.
Vitamin D 25 OH — 28.3 Ref. Range: (30.0-100.0)
WBC — 4.8 (4.2-11.0)
RBC — 4.14 (4.00-5.20)
Hemoglobin — 12.7 (12.0-15.5)
Hematocrit — 38.0 (36.0-45.6)

And the IgE RAST testing...
Alpha-Lactalbumin, Casein, Egg white, egg yolk, soybean, and whey were all <0.10 (Ref. Range: <0.34) Wheat was 0.27 with the same ref. range.

The ONLY thyroid test he ran was the FREE T4 which was 1.1 (Ref. Range: 0.8-1.5) Is that test sufficient or should he have ran others as well?

Anyhow in related news: I am having nearly normal BM's!!!! Except for the chocolate I had last night. (Trying so hard to keep dairy out... caused me D...) Woohoooo!!!!!

Thank you everyone!!

Gluten Free 2/12 

~Rumi

#19 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:51 AM

You actually need the full panel of thyroid tests including TSH, free T3, free T4, reverse T3, TPOab (thyroid peroxidase antibodies). The last test can diagnosed Hashimoto's thyroiditis, an autoimmune hypothyroid condition which is highly correlated with celiac disease and gluten intolerance. You may need to see an endocrinologist to get all the tests you need, but at least try to persuade your current doc to give you a complete panel of thyroid tests.

Constipation is a common symptom of hypothyroidism (low thyroid function). I had chronic constipation all my life. I followed all the constipation advice (more fluids, fiber, probiotics, eliminate gluten and other delayed reaction food allergies, resolve any gut bug (parasites, bacteria, yeast) infections, take massive doses of magnesium, etc., etc.) None of those practices gave me consistent normal stools.The only time I had consistently soft stools was when I had c-diff, which gives most people bad diarrhea. I finally resolved my constipatioin after I got effective thyroid supplements. Even while I was treating hypothyroidism with thyroid supplements, constipation was my first clue that my dose was not high enough or the supplement wasn't resolving my hypo symptoms. (My other hypo symptoms were feeling cold when others are warm and feeling fatigued even when I got more than enough sleep every night.)

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#20 Ninja

Ninja

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:13 PM

Thank you! I didn't think the one test would suffice, but I am new to the thyroid world! This may be a silly question but: does the normal FREE T4 value have any predictive qualities with regard to the other thyroid tests? More simply: is it common to have a normal Free t4 value but abnormal counts for the other thyroid tests?

Gluten Free 2/12 

~Rumi

#21 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:23 PM

Thank you! I didn't think the one test would suffice, but I am new to the thyroid world! This may be a silly question but: does the normal FREE T4 value have any predictive qualities with regard to the other thyroid tests? More simply: is it common to have a normal Free t4 value but abnormal counts for the other thyroid tests?

Yes, my free t4 was in normal range, but my free t3 was below normal and my TSH was higher than normal. You can also have normal ft4, ft3 and tsh, but have very high tpoab (Hashimoto's antibodies). Those results say that your antibodies can be attacking your thyroid, but you haven't had enough damage to significantly affect your other thyroid hormone test results. If you continue consuming gluten and/or enough time passes, the damage can continue and lower those other test results.

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#22 Ninja

Ninja

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:58 PM

Thank you so much! Luckily I have another very supportive PCP (albeit clueless) who would most certainly be willing to order the entire panel. I stopped consuming gluten about 5 weeks ago and am avoiding dairy most of the time — I've noticed a huge improvement with the fatigue. One more question: my body temperature is consistently low: 96's usually. Is there a correlation between low body temperature and hypothyroidism?

Thank you!

Gluten Free 2/12 

~Rumi

#23 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,336 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:56 AM

If it matters, my body temp is always low--96.7 --even lower at times :blink: ---and my thyroid works normally. If my temp is 99, I have a fever and man, am I sick! :rolleyes:

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#24 Ninja

Ninja

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 02:57 PM

Thanks — this is all very interesting. Too bad it has to happen to actual people (lol).

I guess this has become an update thread for me. Even if no one reads it, it still feels nice to put it somewhere. I was put on birth control when I was 15 for severe cramping and heavy and long periods (they also came about every 3 weeks). I am a gymnast so this was not ideal! Five weeks gluten-free (few mistakes) and there's been very little cramping — lasted only ONE day! ...lightest period that I've had in years! Either I'm growing out of the miserable periods (supposedly the teenaged year are the worst) or going gluten-free has helped. I can't believe it.

Gluten Free 2/12 

~Rumi

#25 Tusofsky

Tusofsky

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:23 PM

The period thing gives me some hope! I'm 23 now, and I've been on birthcontrol since I was a teenager. I have awful, long, painful periods. They usually last at least a full week (I had one a couple months ago that lasted 3 long painful weeks) but everything is just fine as far as my ovaries and everything goes. Hoping maybe if my doctor figures out what's going on with me, I'll get a similar result. How nice would that be? I'm also in the same boat of "You tell me 'you have IBS' I might punch you in the face' hahah

But that's awesome for you! I'd be shocked too

#26 Ninja

Ninja

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:40 PM

After all the testing is done and over with for you I would suggest you try a gluten-free diet trial — at least 3 months long.

I hoping to get off this birth control sometime soon! I can totally relate: at one point mine would come every two weeks and last 1- 1 1/2 weeks each. The cramps are the worst though. I wasn't really expecting any improvement in this department from going gluten-free — nice surprise!

Ugh! IBS — the best description I've come across has been from the people on this forum: I be stumped!

Gluten Free 2/12 

~Rumi

#27 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:32 PM

Thank you so much! Luckily I have another very supportive PCP (albeit clueless) who would most certainly be willing to order the entire panel. I stopped consuming gluten about 5 weeks ago and am avoiding dairy most of the time — I've noticed a huge improvement with the fatigue. One more question: my body temperature is consistently low: 96's usually. Is there a correlation between low body temperature and hypothyroidism?

Thank you!

Yes, low body temperature is also a symptom of hypothyroidism. Combine fatigue with low core body temperature and constipation and you have the obvious hypothyroid symptoms.

#28 Ninja

Ninja

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:56 PM

burdee: Thank you!

Gluten Free 2/12 

~Rumi

#29 Ninja

Ninja

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:48 AM

/begin vent...

I've been so incredibly frustrated lately. I finally get my BM's somewhat normal without taking mirilax daily, I finally began feeling a little relief from the fatigue, the gas, stomach pains, numbness, headaches, bloating and the D began to subside. My mood even started to regulate and then... I decide to eat a hershey bar. Not the safe 1.55 oz one, but the 4.4 oz one which plainly states "emulsifiers." Well I reacted and I'm feeling so defeated. Between the first ER visit for a "suspected" fecal impaction (which they said was high up), the second ER visit 2 days later for kidney stones and now a cold/sinus infection which prevented me from going to a gymnastics meet this weekend, I'm just done. I feel exactly like that run-on sentence — it just goes on and on and on with no end in sight. I've got people in my life who want me to do more — how can I possibly do more? My body feels so fragile, it's torture. I could lay in bed all day long. My brain is so foggy and I can't seem to do anything right except maybe forgetting; I do that very well.

Aside from the 30% error rate on the blood tests I was taking steroids (intranasal). I don't know if taking intranasal steroids twice daily for 8+ years has the ability to impact Celiac Testing, but it would probably be just my luck. I know I should be more patient but I feel like I'm wasting time. I want my energy back.

And then to top it all off I get a text from a long time friend who asks me if this recent sickness is more of an "anxiety sickness." I do admit the word anxiety hits close to the bone for me because the only relief I've had from its wrath is since I've gone gluten-free. It stopped me from living my life (at one point) and I will NEVER let that happen again.

/end vent.

Thank you for listening and caring. I don't know what I would do without people who understand.
~Laura

Gluten Free 2/12 

~Rumi

#30 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,336 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:04 PM

The emulsifiers in the candy bar are probably not from gluten.

I suspect you are having a reaction to the milk in the chocolate?

Since steroids are given in the case of refractory sprue, and they suppress the autoimmune system, it would make sense to me that they could very well effect the outcome of your testing result, showing low antibodies.

Did the doctor think of this when testing you for Celiac???

I am sorry you are having a bad day, honey (hug) and the last thing you need is someone mocking your anxiety. It is a very REAL symptom of gluten and you are not alone. I never had it in my life until the celiac triggered and it is scary and uncomfortable and I lived with it for 3 years until it subsided after going gluten-free. I only have it return if I am "hit" by CC. <_< I HATE that sensation. ugh!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: