Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Do I Need To Add Anything To This Diet?

6 posts in this topic

I'm planning on going completely gluten-free & this is what I have for food, (that'll be mixed up & cooked differently of course)

Oatmeal

Pasta

Chicken (beef, pork & ground chuck when I can get it)

Hummus

Vegetables (lettuce, spinach, carrots, onions, corn, potatoes)

Rice

Bread (Gluten Free Pantry)

Yogurt (plain, made into smoothies most days)

Granola (homemade)

Pancakes/Waffles/French Toast

Fruit (bananas, apples, strawberries & others when they're on sale)

Some dairy products

Does this sound good enough? Anything I should add/try out? Thanks!

Ads by Google:

Unless those are certified gluten free oats, you have to remove them from your diet. If they are gluten free oats, you need to make sure you aren't in the group of Celiacs that can not tolerate them.

Yes I know, this is the list of foods that I can eat. The oats are Bob's Red Mill.

Except for the fact that your planned diet is somewhat heavy on the carbs, the only other thing I see out of whack is that you may not be consuming enough healthy saturated fats. You'll need them to help your body absorb fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E, and K). You might consider adding avocados, nuts, and olives. Since you're including dairy, try to include organic butter, too, that you can melt on top of your vegetables. Personally, I would eliminate the gluten-free breads at first, too, because eating natural foods for the first few months will eliminate any problems you might encounter with the gums that are added to these products. Once you feel comfortable with your diet, you can try adding back in to see if you can tolerate them.

Others may have other points of view....and these are just mine, but perhaps you can benefit from one or more of them. Good luck with your diet!

I would advise waiting on the oats until you have been feeling better for at least a couple of weeks. When you do add them back in eat them every day, if possible 2 or 3 times a day, for a week. If you are still feeling fine then keep them in.

I eat eggs and corn tortilla or tostada. I crave protein.