2 replies to this topic

#1 addis001

addis001

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:35 PM

So I went ahead and called MAC makeup corporate to check my makeup. Because I spent alot of money on the makeup and now with going on Gluten diet for a month and having no pain, i need to eliminate it from my life totally it seems.. My GI is wonderful and doing lots of testing on my after having a horrible GI.

Anyways, I asked about Gluten and corn, since my grandmother and aunt have gluten and corn allergies. i don't have confirmed corn yet, so I'm going to use this until i run out and then go to gluten free makeup.. Anyone have good results with a cheap makeup???

MAC Foundation Studio Fix- No Gluten, but has Corn
Base Powder- No Gluten, but has Corn
Base visage (creamy white, evens out skin for foundation) HAS GLUTEN, they are letting me exchange it for a different product
Blush-(i don't have it in front of me) HAS GLUTEN, they are letting me exchange it for a different product
Most glosses do have gluten but she gave me a list of a few that I could try which would not contain gluten.

The corporate office was amazingly kind about letting me switch out my products since I can't switch them at the department stores without a receipt and its past 30 days. I just know spending lots of money on makeup is not in everyone's budget, especially ours. I'm so glad that I can still use most of these products but I might steer away from the Corn a little just in case I do have a Corn Allergy as well.

HERBAL ESSENCE-- Has released an official statement.. They cannot guarantee the fragrances. But their facility and all Herbal Essence products are gluten free, except for the fragrances that come from another location, they cannot guarantee they were not contaminated..

I've only been on this diet for about a month or so.. Does anyone else have problems with Herbal Essence..?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 FernW

FernW

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:54 AM

I cannot use Herbal Essence, not sure why since I did not see any gluten in the ingredients but my head did itch a lot. But I did not actually feel sick which is my usual gluten feeling. I changed my shampoo and itch went away. I do use MAC and Prescriptives make up, I read the labels, took a while but finally found blush, eye shadow and lipstick and eyeliner. I went to Macys where they give individual help. I have been soooo sick for lipstick so I am very careful of my makeup.

#3 serendipity18

serendipity18

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:39 AM

Recently diagnosed with Celiac Disease and starting to make some calls to companies. Had a lengthy phone conversation with very helpful rep. at M.A.C. Cosmetics. Such differences in ingredients depending on what "finish" you choose. The rep. followed up our conversation with an email that I thought might be useful to others so am posting it below. This forum has been incredibly beneficial as I begin learning about Celiac. Thanks to all for the posts! :D

Thank you for your interest in M.A.C, a brand of The Estee Lauder Companies.

For the benefit of our gluten-sensitive consumers who may have cross-sensitivities, M.A.C takes the extra precaution of including soy, corn and rice in our research in addition to wheat, oat, barley and rye derivatives.

In addressing your concern about gluten, we would like to explain that a vast number of raw materials from many different suppliers and sources are used in the manufacture of Estee Lauder Companies' products. It is therefore not possible for us to fully guarantee that our products are completely free of ingredients that may elicit an allergic response in highly sensitive individuals who react to gluten. For example, it is possible that small amounts of a wheat sourced ingredient may remain on shared manufacturing equipment even after a thorough cleaning. We therefore recommend that you discuss this with your physician, because consumer safety is of utmost concern to us.

In response to your inquiry, the Zoom Waterfast Mascara contains ingredients derived from Soy and Corn.

In addition, please review the following products that we have previosly discussed:

Lipstick (Sheen Supreme) contains ingredients derived from Soy and Corn
Lipstick (Amplified Crème) contains barley extract, wheat germ extract and soybean extract
Lipstick (Cremesheen) contain ingredients Wheat bran, Soy and Corn
Lipstick (Dazzle) contains ingredients derived from Soy
Lipstick (Frost) contains ingredients derived from Corn
Lipstick (Glaze) contains ingredients derived from Corn
Lipstick (Lustre) contains ingredients derived fron Corn and Soy
Lipstick (Luxe) contains ingredients derived from Soy and Corn
Lipstick (Matte) contains ingredients derived from Corn
Lipstick (Mattene) contains ingredients derived from Soy and Corn
Lipstick (Retro Matte) contains ingredients derived from Soy
Lipstick (Satin) contains ingredients derived from Corn and Soy

Splashproof Lash contains ingredients derived from Corn

Eye Shadow Frost contains Ingredients derived from Soy
Eye Shadow Lusture contains Ingredients derived from Soy and Corn
Eye Shadow Matte contains Ingredients derived from Soy
Eye Shadow Matte 2 may contain ingredients derived from Soy, and Corn
Eye Shadow Mineralized may coontain ingredients derived from Wheat, Soy and Corn
Eye Shadow Pearl Matte may contain ingredients derived from Soy and Corn
Eye Shadow Satin contains ingredients derived from Corn, Soy, Wheat, and Barley
Eye Shadow Starflash contains Soy, and ingredients derived from Corn
Eye Shadow Veluxe contains ingredients derived from Soy and Corn
Eye shadow Veluxe Pearl contains ingredients derived from Wheat, Barley, Corn and Soy
Eye shadow Veluxe Shimmer contains ingredients derived from Wheat,Barley, Corn and Soy
Eye Shadow Velvet contains ingredients derived from Soy

I appreciate the opportunity to respond to your question, and sincerely hope I was able to be of assistance. You are valued as our consumer and I hope you will continue to use and enjoy our products with confidence and satisfaction.

Sincerely,

Melissa P
Consumer Response Representative

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: