6 replies to this topic

#1 lyndszai

lyndszai

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 20 March 2004 - 08:04 PM

hey im new to the gluten-free diet ive only been on it for 4 days and im finding it hard to find gluten-free free things ,im also lactose .My b day is on monday and my mom and dad want to get me a cake is there such thing as a gluten-free cake?

thanks

lol sry i cant fix the heading i made a typo

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 20 March 2004 - 08:42 PM

Yes there are gluten-free cakes. The best I've tried is The Really Great Food Company Chocolate Cake Mix. This is also dairy free.

But as your b-day is monday, you should probably try to make one from scratch, as you don't have time to make an online order. Do you have gluten-free flour? Rice flour and potato starch is a typical blend for gluten-free cakes. They also tend to use more eggs and cook at a lower temp than gluten cakes. I have ruined cakes by baking them at the recommended 350 degrees. I have found that 325 works much better and I add an extra 10 minutes or so to the baking time. Otherwise they are gummy in the center. Yuck!

Here is a link to the Yellow Cake topic in the baking & recipes forum.

http://www.glutenfre...p?showtopic=226

Here is a link to some chocolate cake recipes in the same forum.

http://www.glutenfre...p?showtopic=225

Here is a link to some other cakes in the same forum.

http://www.glutenfre...hp?showtopic=10

I hope these help. And that you not only have a great birthday, but a wonderful lifetime of health being gluten free! :D

God bless,
Mariann
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

#3 lyndszai

lyndszai

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 06:47 AM

Hey thanks for the links and advice lol i dont have any of the potato flour yet but i think im going ot get some over the week.Ill probly just skip getting a cake this year.

Thanks lyndszai

#4 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 08:10 AM

You can usually find potato starch in the Kosher food section of most supermarkets. But you can also find it at healthfood stores and online. Potato starch is different than potato flour. The starch is what is used most often, so be careful not to get the potato flour. If it says potato starch flour then that means it is potato starch.

God bless,
Mariann :)
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

#5 lyndszai

lyndszai

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 01:45 PM

Ok thanks very much ill tell my mom lol

#6 SadiesMomma

SadiesMomma

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 02:00 PM

hey there.... I just bought a gluten-free cookbook that has some pretty good recepies. Dairy free, egg free, yadda yadda... If you can think of some cake or goodie recepies lemme know and Ill send em to you if theyre in there. :D
~*HEATHER*~
Living gluten-free, Egg, Dairy, Nut, Soy, and Corn Free since Winter/Spring 2003

Fathers be good to your daughters,
Daughters will love like you do,
Girls become lovers who turn in Mothers,
So mothers be good to your daughters too.

#7 Laura

Laura

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 07:29 PM

I actually make a flour mix that includes potato starch flour AND potato flour (and tapioca flour, and brown rice flour and white rice flour...basically everything I can find).

I think that the Gluten-Free Pantry mixes are pretty good -- my favorite is actually the chocolate chip cookie/cake mix, following the directions for the cake.

Here's a flourless recipe that's just incredible:

in heatproof bowl in pan of simmering water, melt 6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate with 3 tablespoons water or coffee and 1 teaspoon gluten-free vanilla.

meanwhile separate 6 eggs and beat the whites into soft peaks.
beat cup sugar into whites gradually.
blend the egg yolks into chocolate mixture.
add 1/3 of the egg whites to the chocolate mixture, folding them in carefully to lighten the mixture.
now fold the chocolate mixture into whites.

this is meant to be a roll cake, filled with flavored whipped cream. if you want to do that, line a jelly roll pan or cookie sheet with wax paper that overhangs the ends by 2 inches and bake at 350 for 15 to 18 minutes. then you whip cream with vanilla or some other gluten-free flavor and a couple tablespoons of powdered sugar, spread the cream on the cooled cake layer, and roll it (you can find detailed directions to roll a cake in almost any cookbook).

If you don't want to do the roll, you can just bake the cake part in any size pan until it looks done. It's delicious by itself or with the whipped cream -- I often make it when I'm craving brownies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: