17 replies to this topic

#1 violentlyserene

violentlyserene

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:18 PM

We're going to Old country buffet tomorrow for a family thing. Since we'll be there for a while in a large group with everyone else eating, i'd really like to find something to eat so the attention doesn't stay on me and my lack of food. We only go once a year so I'm not even sure what they have and can call and ask about.

Those of you who risk buffets, what do you eat? Any ideas on what's likely to be my best options? I have celiac so contamination is an issue but I don't react to small levels so I won't know if anything i eat actually was safe.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,145 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:23 PM

NOOOOO! I think they put flour in the corn there! OK...I really don't know that. That place is a gluten filled mine field. Someone will use the pasta spoon in the corn. Stuff falls off the gravy spoon and drips into the green beans. There are rolls & biscuits! You could call and see if you have the rare one knows about gluten-free eating. I would bring my own or eat first.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:49 PM

Buffetts, and diners, and pot lucks = oh my! :o

Gluten filled landmines!

Gluten Russian roulette!

How close is the ladies room to the tables? :rolleyes:

Would I eat there? no, never, nyet.

Sorry, hon. Too chancy.

I'm with Karen. Eat before you go and just enjoy the company.

I would ask the family (next year) to go someplace less scary? :ph34r:

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#4 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:59 PM

I get shivers just thinking about it!Posted Image

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#5 violentlyserene

violentlyserene

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:02 PM

I'm aware of all the potential issues and since not eating isn't an option, I'm trying to be proactive and make it as safe as possible.

#6 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:14 PM

I'm aware of all the potential issues and since not eating isn't an option, I'm trying to be proactive and make it as safe as possible.

We know hon, but we honestly just don't see how it is possible.

Just being honest. Buffets are too cross-contaminated.

Why is "not eating" an option? I don't understand.

Risking it is very dangerous, IMHO.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#7 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:20 PM

I'm so sorry but this scenario just is not worth possible regrets later. :(
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#8 violentlyserene

violentlyserene

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:22 PM

We know hon, but we honestly just don't see how it is possible.

Just being honest. Buffets are too cross-contaminated.

Why is "not eating" an option? I don't understand.

Risking it is very dangerous, IMHO.

When I searched, i found a couple mentions of people eating at OCB which is why I asked here. It had been done by members already and I was hoping to find their advice. It is a risk and one that I accept for a once a year event. My goal at this point is to mitigate it, not find to ways around eating there at all.

#9 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,145 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:22 PM

I think Old Country buffet is one of the hardest to eat safely. I have been to expensive buffets and people drop the roll in the salad & pull it out. You could call ahead and see if they could serve you from fresh pans but I wouldn't think they would have a clue. Just bring some food if you can't eat first.

No one can force you to eat poison unless they are holding you down. I can't imagine your family would hold you down and force poison into you.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

#10 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,145 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:26 PM

When I searched, i found a couple mentions of people eating at OCB which is why I asked here. It had been done by members already and I was hoping to find their advice. It is a risk and one that I accept for a once a year event. My goal at this point is to mitigate it, not find to ways around eating there at all.

Call ahead to the one you are going to. You never know, one might be better at helping you then another.

But I guess we don't understand why it's so important to eat the food? Why that's more important then your health? Honestly, if I was going to take a chance, I think I would pick a place with better food. OCB is OK but it's not great.

LTES

#11 violentlyserene

violentlyserene

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:36 PM

Call ahead to the one you are going to. You never know, one might be better at helping you then another.

But I guess we don't understand why it's so important to eat the food? Why that's more important then your health? Honestly, if I was going to take a chance, I think I would pick a place with better food. OCB is OK but it's not great.

It's not my choice of places but I'm doing the best I can. I'm definitely calling ahead, just not sure what to ask them about. Asking for gluten free stuff is likely to get me blank stares but if I can be specific on things, it should be better. I won't suffer from eating there because I don't react and I'm extra careful the rest of the time so I can keep my sanity in situations like this. sitting foodless and hungry for two hours while everyone else eats and makes me the focus of attention (not unkindly) is much worse than bending over backwards finding a couple things I can eat with an acceptable margin of risk.

It's not everyone's frame of mind and that's fine. I wouldn't force anyone to do this because it's a personal choice.

#12 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:41 PM

I won't suffer from eating there because I don't react and I'm extra careful the rest of the time so I can keep my sanity in situations like this.

Then we don't have to remind you that just because you "don't react" ...you are still doing intestinal damage and triggering the autoimmune response every time you take such risks?

We are just looking out for you here, not trying to be difficult.

But as is everything in life, it's certainly your choice.
It is hard to deal with family that does not get it or with having to be "different" because of this disease, but the last thing I would do is put myself at risk for anyone else.

but that's Just me. :)

Just be careful. Best wishes.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#13 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,746 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:57 PM

It's not my choice of places but I'm doing the best I can. I'm definitely calling ahead, just not sure what to ask them about. Asking for gluten free stuff is likely to get me blank stares but if I can be specific on things, it should be better. I won't suffer from eating there because I don't react and I'm extra careful the rest of the time so I can keep my sanity in situations like this. sitting foodless and hungry for two hours while everyone else eats and makes me the focus of attention (not unkindly) is much worse than bending over backwards finding a couple things I can eat with an acceptable margin of risk.

It's not everyone's frame of mind and that's fine. I wouldn't force anyone to do this because it's a personal choice.

I don't know what the place may serve but if you feel you have to eat there might I suggest that you eat before you go and then pick at (or push around) a salad and perhaps some fruit. Haven't you told your family you are celiac? If you have people that love you will understand if you go with a full belly and just enjoy their company. If you haven't told them you could just tell them you are on a diet and that is why you are just doing plain salad and cut up fruit. Eating before you go will keep you from feeling deprived and maybe have a nice tasty gluten free treat waiting for you at home. Some of us have been known to bring in our own stuff to a restaurant, perhaps you could bring some in and just put it on a plate on the QT.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#14 violentlyserene

violentlyserene

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:06 PM

I don't know what the place may serve but if you feel you have to eat there might I suggest that you eat before you go and then pick at (or push around) a salad and perhaps some fruit. Haven't you told your family you are celiac? If you have people that love you will understand if you go with a full belly and just enjoy their company. If you haven't told them you could just tell them you are on a diet and that is why you are just doing plain salad and cut up fruit. Eating before you go will keep you from feeling deprived and maybe have a nice tasty gluten free treat waiting for you at home. Some of us have been known to bring in our own stuff to a restaurant, perhaps you could bring some in and just put it on a plate on the QT.

We only go once a year so i barely remember what's there but there should be fresh fruit. Thank you, I can't believe i didn't think of that! A friend suggested they may have baked potatoes as well which would be great. I'd love something substantial but i eat worse at home so a potato, ice cream and fruit is certainly good enough for me.

My family knows but this is the best option for a large group and I told them to find what they could and I'd figure the rest out.

#15 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:23 PM

If the baked potato is wrapped in foil, that may well be your best best. ;) Eat two.

ANYTHING that has a serving spoon-- even if it's cut up fresh fruit on the buffet line--could be a problem, though as Karen has suggested. If there are whole fruits, then you are in business! :) Or packaged pudding cups?

Hey, Do they serve anything at all off a menu?--you know, like made to order?

you could call and ask! You can't be the first celiac to eat there on a family outing.

I just hate to think of you getting CCed, that's all.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: