38 replies to this topic

#1 Kimbalou

Kimbalou

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:32 PM

Am I being too sensitive? At work during a break the other day a co-worker said she was having macaroni and cheese for breakfast. I said "oh, I had that too!" (I've been eating Amy's gluten-free rice mac and cheese...it's so good) after I said that, another co-worker said "Yeah, but your's wasn't real!" I just said "well, it was real to me! Amy's has a lot of good gluten-free food!"
I know I am depressed lately, so I am very sensitive to what people say...but I am curious to know if this would have bothered you? I guess people think pasta isn't REAL if it isn't WHEAT? Come on!
I am ready to eat in a different place at work because it seems like 95% of the time the focus is on what I am eating even when I don't bring food topics up! Can't people just eat without talking about the ingredients of food or ask me questions about what I can eat? Yes, I told most of my co-workers about Celiac..it just seems like the subject always comes up!
11/19/10 diagnosed with Celiac disease after positive blood test
12/14/10 Biopsy positive for Celiac disease

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,121 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:38 PM

Wow! Then the calories aren't real either! :ph34r:

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 Cara in Boston

Cara in Boston

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:41 PM

If she was having Kraft mac and cheese, yours was probably closer to "real" than hers . . .

#4 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:19 PM

I can so relate to your post! I work with nurses and have made it a point to have lunch before their official lunch hour (1 pm - 2pm). Inevitably, somebody walks to the lunch room :P and quizzes me about my food. In some respects, I wish I'd never said anything about my diet, and that my co-workers weren't so wrapped up in what I'm eating. In other ways, I feel like I's educating people that should know.

I've started questioning them about their food choics too, but only if they challenge me with an insidius remark about what I'm eating.
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#5 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:52 PM

I might have said "If it isn't real, then what the hell was that in my bowl? :blink: dammit, am I hallucinating again? "

:)

You seem to be getting bombarded with "ignorance" lately, kimbaloo...sorry, honey. (hug) I saw your other post.

You said you are depressed and maybe too sensitive...could be!

I know when I feel this way, ordinarily stupid stuff people say rolls off my back or I have a snappy, sarcastic comeback--but sometimes, it gets to me, too. :rolleyes:

Have you tried saying something privately to this person telling her that it hurts your feelings to have your food issues pointed out in front of everyone?

(For the record, my doc says celiacs eat better than most people. :) so what does she know)

Next time, enjoy your mac and cheese and savor it, saying loudly YUM, YUM, YUM
while chewing.

As my Dad would have said about people who are rude, "screw 'em, kiddo! let it go!" (ooh, can I say that on here? if not, I'll issue a warning to myself :) )

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#6 Katrala

Katrala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:26 PM

Any chance they could have been referencing homemade vs. frozen, etc?

I live by the "pick your battles" mantra in many ways - this includes what I allow to get under my skin.
Positive Celiac (Blood & Biopsy) - April 2011
Peanut Allergy

#7 Fairy Dancer

Fairy Dancer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:10 PM

I would have replied with: "yes, my food was an hallucination and you imagined the whole thing...you might want to see a dr about that!"

#8 faithforlife

faithforlife

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:17 PM

I'd be upset. I have to give people the Benefit of the doubt. This Is strange for me too! All the questioning makes me second guess myself so I have to put it in its place.

Faith For Life
Family History of terminal diabetes, acid reflux, etc.
2010-My 4 yr. old son- chronic diarrhea (3-5x a day since he was 12 months old)and chronic anemia,positive for 2 gluten sensitive antibodies, the genes, inflammation
(no villous atrophy found)
2011-entire family positive for genetics for celiac
2011-myself- positive gluten antibodies across the board
Family is successfully gluten free and some lactose free, studying Specific Carbohydrate Diet and Paleo Diet

#9 sariesue

sariesue

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 06:44 PM

I tend to call my gluten free foods fake, but my household is split so we have both regular and gluten free bread and some other things. Since I find having to call my special foods gluten free as depressing I call them fake. I think it makes me feel better when they don't live up to my very fond memories of wheat based products. To me if it's fake then it's not going to taste the same.

But, if it really bothers you some of the posters above had really creative suggestions.

#10 Kimbalou

Kimbalou

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:34 PM

The comment was meant to compare the difference between wheat mac and cheese and non-wheat. I work with nurses too, I am one! But, I can't believe how rude some of them can be about the Celiac issue. It doesn't make sense to me! I told my co-workers when I was diagnosed...hoping they would be considerate about it. Most people are ok about it, but some of my co-workers are awful. I also wish people just wouldn't talk about food when they are eating. I am more sensitive now, for sure. Another co-worker was eating a cookie and said "Oh, this cookie is so good" right in front of me. But, I know I am hypersensitive to comments like this. The "fake" comment made me feel worse. I have to let it go.

#11 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:53 AM

Another co-worker was eating a cookie and said "Oh, this cookie is so good" right in front of me.

Just imagine her growing fat arse from that cookie and laugh to yourself. :lol:

I have 4 friends who are nurses (3 women and 1 man). They are very giving and intelligent people, but totally unaware of celiac and no matter how hard I try to explain it, it just does not register. 3 of them are gluten intolerant themselves and have OBVIOUS symptoms, but won't do a thing about it.

It is unkind and offensive what she said, hon --and sadly, we cannot change people's personalities. Only how we respond to them.

All of us have stories such as yours and we do understand.

And your food is not "fake". It is sustenance. It keeps you healthy.

((hugs))

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#12 BeFree

BeFree

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:50 AM

Aw sweetie I'm sorry. *hugs* Take it with a grain of salt though, a lot of people that aren't on this diet simply just don't have any idea what gluten-free food is. They think of it is something "fake" or "artificial" like a Diet Coke vs. a "real" Coke. They don't mean to hurt your feelings, I'm sure. Don't give up. The more you eat "your" food around them, the more they will come to learn that it is just like theirs, but with different ingredients. They might even take a taste one day and decide they like it! Be patient.
Gluten-Free as of September 2011

Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits...it says 'Oooooooo'.
Peter, those are Cheerios.

#13 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:47 AM

The comment was meant to compare the difference between wheat mac and cheese and non-wheat. I work with nurses too, I am one! But, I can't believe how rude some of them can be about the Celiac issue. It doesn't make sense to me! I told my co-workers when I was diagnosed...hoping they would be considerate about it. Most people are ok about it, but some of my co-workers are awful. I also wish people just wouldn't talk about food when they are eating. I am more sensitive now, for sure. Another co-worker was eating a cookie and said "Oh, this cookie is so good" right in front of me. But, I know I am hypersensitive to comments like this. The "fake" comment made me feel worse. I have to let it go.

You do not need to tolerate this if you don't want to. I'm pretty sure what you're experiencing would legally be considered disability harassment, since it's so pervasive that you want to go eat somewhere else. It would fall under the hostile work environment laws. You need to politely ask your coworkers to stop bugging you about your diet. If the harassment continues, go to HR and explain the situation.

I have also gotten adept at turning conversations away from food. I would strongly suggest you cultivate the skill. Skim headlines in the morning so you have something interesting and relevant to talk about.

#14 Kimbalou

Kimbalou

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:09 PM

Skylark, that's a good point. I am definitely going to steer the conversation in another direction at meal times. I also think I am very sensitive.
You would think medical people would get it, but crazy how some don't!

#15 Kimbalou

Kimbalou

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:11 PM

Just imagine her growing fat arse from that cookie and laugh to yourself. :lol:

I have 4 friends who are nurses (3 women and 1 man). They are very giving and intelligent people, but totally unaware of celiac and no matter how hard I try to explain it, it just does not register. 3 of them are gluten intolerant themselves and have OBVIOUS symptoms, but won't do a thing about it.

It is unkind and offensive what she said, hon --and sadly, we cannot change people's personalities. Only how we respond to them.

All of us have stories such as yours and we do understand.

And your food is not "fake". It is sustenance. It keeps you healthy.

((hugs))

Funny, i will have to think about how fat these people could get when they eat all the donuts and pastries the doctors bring in too!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: