38 replies to this topic

#16 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:12 PM

I've worked in the medical field for years, but I'm not a clinician. After two years gluten-free, it seems like my neighbors know more about celiac disease than my doctors do.

I lost a good RN friend of more than 10 years in this battle. I told my DP that I understood why. She deals with sickness everday she works. It's too much for her to handle with friends on her time off. I think we'll reconnect down the road.

I
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:51 PM

I actually had a Dr. say this to me when I took my daughter in for allergy testing to see if she had outgrown some of the allergens. "But your husband is Italian! Italians eat pasta made with wheat! He won't like that at all!" This Dr. was from India if that makes a difference. Probably not but perhaps they have a different attitude towards food than we do? Anyway I replied, "Well... He has been eating the rice or corn pasta and hasn't noticed a difference. He likes it just fine!" She acted like it was a miracle.

#18 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:59 AM

Funny, i will have to think about how fat these people could get when they eat all the donuts and pastries the doctors bring in too!

I was once a fatty myself--from all that gluteny wheat--but getting celiac took care of that. I was almost skeletal for a while there.

I did not mean to be flippant about obesity (before anyone gets upset with me :rolleyes: )I was merely trying to give our Kimbaloo something to "go to" in her head ---something amusing---so she does not take all this to heart.

Humor often diffuses bombs. :)

Well, hon, we gave you our best thoughts. Steer the conversation away, speak to them personally about it, blow it off entirely, or envision wide arses. :D

In any case, hopefully it will get easier for you. We have enough to deal with; we don't need anymore stress.
All the best, IH

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#19 Pauliewog

Pauliewog

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:03 PM

I am sitting here eating my own lunch as I read these posts. I made myself a Thai salad. One thing I love about eating gluten free is that all my food is "real." Nothing I ate was processed. My rice noodles were the only thing I didn't make myself and according to the bag are made from "rice and water." And, if I don't say so myself, it was delicious.

As to the Mac and Cheese, here are the ingredients from the Kraft page. It seems to me it is a meal more of chemicals than of "real" food. You could point that out next time if someone makes a comment!!!!!!

Ingredients: ENRICHED MACARONI PRODUCT (WHEAT FLOUR, GLYCEROL MONOSTEARATE, NIACIN, FERROUS SULFATE [IRON], THIAMIN MONONITRATE [VITAMIN B1], RIBOFLAVIN [VITAMIN B2], FOLIC ACID); CHEESE SAUCE MIX (WHEY, CORN SYRUP SOLIDS, MALTODEXTRIN, PALM OIL, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, SALT, MILKFAT, MILK PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, CALCIUM CARBONATE, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF MEDIUM CHAIN TRIGLYCERIDES, SODIUM TRIPOLYPHOSPHATE, WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, CITRIC ACID, GUAR GUM, SODIUM PHOSPHATE, LACTIC ACID, CALCIUM PHOSPHATE, MILK, ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, YELLOW 5, YELLOW 6, APOCAROTENAL [COLOR] ENZYMES, CHEESE CULTURE, NATURAL FLAVOR). CONTAINS: WHEAT, MILK.

#20 dani nero

dani nero

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:21 PM

it's like saying rice porridge isn't real because you didn't use oats haha.
Honestly you were being nice by not laughing at her intelligence. You're the one who did her a favor :-P
Self diagnosed January 2012, and on elimination, low-salicylate & low-iodine diet.
Also G6PD

#21 lynnelise

lynnelise

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:00 AM

I love that Amy's mac and cheese. Maybe it's for the best that other people think it's "not real". If they discover it tastes better than the gluteny Kraft kind they may buy it up! ;)

There are a few ladies at my work that inspect my lunch. They always crinkle their nose up and ask if it's good. I always wonder why they think I would bring it if I didn't like it? These women eat ramen noodles most days so I just remind myself that they are clearly not food people and their opinions are suspect! lol

#22 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:26 AM

There are a few ladies at my work that inspect my lunch. They always crinkle their nose up and ask if it's good.

Next time, try this :lol:

"Oh gosh, no!!....it tastes like a sweaty sock dragged through dog poo, ....but (now, pause, heave a heavy sigh and put your hand to your brow dramatically ) it's the cross I bear."

Work up a tear if you can.

If they say "Oh poor dear. Is there anything we can do?"

Say, "wash my car, do all my paperwork and give me $50 bucks?"

It'll be fun!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#23 ChristenDG

ChristenDG

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:12 PM

It's funny, cause little jokes like that make me feel better! I also have always had a tendency to feel more comfortable in the presence of "humor."

I got a new job position just as I was going gluten-free and I'm in a completely new building with completely different people now. I've chosen so far to keep my gluten-freeness (I know that's not a real term, but oh well) to myself. I just don't want people to make a big deal of it, or think I'm making a big deal of it.
------------------------------------------------
Bipolar Disorder: 02/2010
Celiac Disease: 02/06/2012
Gluten-Free: 02/15/2012

#24 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:37 PM

It's funny, cause little jokes like that make me feel better!

Reminds me of a non-food-related story someone told.

She had just started a new job, and had to tell her boss that she was pregnant. I'll just tell it as she told it:

Friend: "Well, you know that medical appointment I had? So.....it turns out I'm pregnant."
New boss: "oh.........and.......is there a father?" (friend is unmarried)
Friend: "Yes, donor 294"
New boss: "..........oh..........is..... that your own personal list?"

She says he's still her favorite boss (although I don't think he's her boss anymore).
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#25 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:53 PM

Friend: "Well, you know that medical appointment I had? So.....it turns out I'm pregnant."
New boss: "oh.........and.......is there a father?" (friend is unmarried)
Friend: "Yes, donor 294"
New boss: "..........oh..........is..... that your own personal list?"

hmm, IH wonders.....does this mean that her baby "isn't real" either?? :D

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#26 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:20 PM

hmm, IH wonders.....does this mean that her baby "isn't real" either?? :D

Or is it more "real" because it came from a freezer?

:blink: :blink: OK, this line of conversation has to stop. :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#27 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:28 PM

Or is it more "real" because it came from a freezer?

:blink: :blink: OK, this line of conversation has to stop. :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

:lol: :lol:

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#28 ChristenDG

ChristenDG

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:52 PM

:lol: :lol:

Oh my goodness! :lol:

I just bursted out laughing and my husband turned and gave me that, "God, you're so strange" look. :unsure:
Bipolar Disorder: 02/2010
Celiac Disease: 02/06/2012
Gluten-Free: 02/15/2012

#29 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:00 PM

Oh my goodness! :lol:

I just bursted out laughing and my husband turned and gave me that, "God, you're so strange" look. :unsure:

Laughing is GOOD for you. I must be very strange, 'cuz my hubs looks at me like that all the time. :lol:

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#30 aeraen

aeraen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:26 AM

When I read the thread title, I immediately thought that they were referring to your celiac as not being real. THAT would have riled me up.

However, if they were simply commenting on your lunch, I think you have been given enough good responses above, especially the one about the calories not being real, either. Personally, I might have responded "Oh, but it is a most delicious hallucination!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: