6 replies to this topic

#1 Billygoat

Billygoat

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 04:08 AM

A friend who is lactose intolerant (which I am gluten and lactose intolerant) suggested I try Tofutti's Lactose Free Better than Cream Cheese. She said it tasted really good, so I thought I'd give it a try. At the store I read the ingredients: no lactose, good. Nothing dangerously wheat sounding in there, good.
Well, this is before I find out maltodextrin could possibly be a non-no. Last night I have some on crackers and it is REALLY good! Before I get past the third one, my stomach is experiencing that very familiar "rumble". I run to the kitchen and see the "maltodextrin" on the label. I'd thought maltodextrin was a "maybe" if it was made in the US, which it looks like it is. Even the web says it's gluten-free. But I was on the potty all night and this morning isn't any better.

Has anyone else reacted to this before? :blink:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lorka150

lorka150

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 05:09 PM

http://www.tofutti.com/faq.asp#105

There's your answer. <_<

Also, maybe you doubly reacted to the casein? I can't consume any casein, either.
Gluten-free, Vegan

#3 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 06:23 PM

A friend who is lactose intolerant (which I am gluten and lactose intolerant) suggested I try Tofutti's Lactose Free Better than Cream Cheese.  She said it tasted really good, so I thought I'd give it a try.  At the store I read the ingredients: no lactose, good.  Nothing dangerously wheat sounding in there, good.
Well, this is before I find out maltodextrin could possibly be a non-no.  Last night I have some on crackers and it is REALLY good!  Before I get past the third one, my stomach is experiencing that very familiar "rumble".  I run to the kitchen and see the "maltodextrin" on the label.  I'd thought maltodextrin was a "maybe" if it was made in the US, which it looks like it is.  Even the web says it's gluten-free.  But I was on the potty all night and this morning isn't any better.

Has anyone else reacted to this before?  :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I haven't reacted to their products, but like they say on their website, they don't test for gluten, even though they do not add gluten-containing ingredients to most of their products. Do you regularly consume much soy? It could be a soy problem. It could also have been a cross-contamination problem. And could even have been a coincidence (with respect to that product).
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#4 LindaB

LindaB

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 09:43 PM

A friend who is lactose intolerant (which I am gluten and lactose intolerant) suggested I try Tofutti's Lactose Free Better than Cream Cheese.  She said it tasted really good, so I thought I'd give it a try.  At the store I read the ingredients: no lactose, good.  Nothing dangerously wheat sounding in there, good.
Well, this is before I find out maltodextrin could possibly be a non-no.  Last night I have some on crackers and it is REALLY good!  Before I get past the third one, my stomach is experiencing that very familiar "rumble".  I run to the kitchen and see the "maltodextrin" on the label.  I'd thought maltodextrin was a "maybe" if it was made in the US, which it looks like it is.  Even the web says it's gluten-free.  But I was on the potty all night and this morning isn't any better.

Has anyone else reacted to this before?   :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have tried their products more than once and have gotten bowel discomfort lasting for a day. Sometimes it doesn't seem to bother me and then if I have it very often I do not feel well at all so end up throwing it out.

#5 Billygoat

Billygoat

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 03:11 AM

Okay, I'm a newbie at this. I didn't look on their site, I just googled it and the first site I read said it was gluten-free. :( I guess I should be more deliberate with home work. I don't know if I've ever had an issue with casein. I don't even know what it is. More research I guess.

This whole diet restriction thing is really getting annoying. How do y'all do it? :angry:

#6 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 05:14 AM

Saying they don't test for gluten is nothing more than a legal CYA. Few companies actually test for gluten. The statement really means almost nothing.

In the U.S., if maltodextrin has wheat it must by law clearly say so on the label. If it didn't say so in the ingredients, the maltodextrin was gluten-free.

richard

#7 skbird

skbird

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 08:23 AM

I haven't had a problem with it. It's the best fake cream cheese I've tried - almost made me ok with being dairy free for a month. I was disappointed their garlic one has trans-fat in it though - health food producers should know better than to use hydrogenated oils.

Sorry it caused you some problems. I have foods like that - logically on paper they look fine, but in reality, don't work for me. Mystery.

Stephanie
Diagnosed by food challenge, 10/04
Gluten-free since 10/04
Gluten-sensitive genes: HLA-DQ 1,3 (Subtype 6,9)
Interstitial Cystitis, 7/07
Fibromyalgia, 6/11

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: