21 replies to this topic

#16 jimi2

jimi2

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:35 AM

Hi guys, i am 52. I had 3 months of huge stomach pain before being diagnosed with celiac. I just changed my way of training and feel so much better i stopped all supplements, creatine and over the counter, i control all my food, mainly salads, lentils ( for proteins ), chicken and fish. I changed also my exercise a bit like Mike Chang says : few rest, not so long, push ups and so on...
I am so happy and really wil never ever go back to my previous life. Many people complain because they can not eat that or that, they forget that many sport men now go gluten free for the sake of exercise itself....I lost 7 kgs, i see my abs, i feel lighter and i dont care when people drink a beer or have cake. I dont envy them. I am happy of my new life. Hope you can get also te same results, just what u need is .. a iron will and good mood.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 simon_n

simon_n

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:21 AM

Ugh. I work out with a trainer and we are stumped. I have totally plateaued. I eat tons of protein, exercise lifting the heaviest weights I can, do interval training, take all kinds of supplements designed to boost your metabolism (CLA, green tea) get lost of sleep, pretty low carb yadda yadda yadda and I cannot get past this weight and body fat% point. Now, I am not "fat" but I am irritated that I am working so hard with no new results. Has anyone found this? Is my body hoarding calories from years of undiagnosed Celiac? I was only diagnosed 18 months ago at the age of 42 after thinking that I was going to die. I should be way more fit and muscular than I am.
My other thought is that I am taking an anti depressant (that I am weaning myself off of, which is a fresh hell unto itself). It didn't cause me to gain weight, but can they screw up your metabolism? I am so frustrated.

Considering changing your workout to running only. It's the single most powerful exercise to loose weight and it worked well for me and my friends. Good luck and think positive!

#18 dprice81

dprice81

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:48 PM

ive been having this problem of fatigue/low carb. im trying to add denser gluten free starchy carbs like potatoes, rice. so far its been helping with my constipation and my muslces feel like they have more energy.

#19 teruff

teruff

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:37 PM

I have have been living with celiac for about 6 years now. I lost a TON of weight when I first became gluten free and am pretty lean now. I've noticed when I begin to plateau and just aren't seeing results anymore it is always because I have changed something in my diet and that product is not gluten free enough for me. I would just re-check your diet, maybe cut things out, and see if that helps you. It always does the trick for me!

#20 zamm0

zamm0

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:22 PM

Considering changing your workout to running only. It's the single most powerful exercise to loose weight and it worked well for me and my friends. Good luck and think positive!

Or cycling - because it's low impact and you'll be able to do more of it. Running is better for losing weight as weight-bearing but easy to get injured. If I were you I'd mix the two.

#21 NorthernElf

NorthernElf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:26 AM

If I could 'weigh' in here - try to hit some weights a couple times a week.

Working/building muscle helps keep the metabolism going strong. More muscle means a higher basal metabolism. After lifting some weights you get a bit of an afterburn effect - metabolism stays up for a few hours afterwards. Weight training also helps ensure that more of your weight loss is fat as opposed to muscle.

Most important thing is to find activities you like or you won't stick with it. Good luck.

#22 cavernio

cavernio

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:11 PM

The antidepressant could have been working against you the entire time by not letting you lose weight. Same thing as causing weight gain.

I've never been down as low as I had been before starting antidepressants. Like typical depressed people and classic celiac patients, I lost a fair bit of weight. Antidepressants made me gain, and I too remember it being frustrating because the one point in my life where I actually worked out regularly and pushed myself, I still gained.

diagnosed Jan 2012, bloodwork only
June 2012 positive visual of celiac disease from gastroscopy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: