This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac Vs. Gluten Intolerance

Pauliewog

Pauliewog Contributor

I'm a bit confused here. I understand that Celiac is an autoimmune disease where consumption of gluten causes the body to attack itself and the villi are damaged. In the case of someone who is NOT Celiac but has sensitivities to gluten are the villi also damaged? If so, why? How are they being damaged?

In my case I have tested negative across the board on every blood test- Not Celiac. Absorption of minerals and all that: fine. My genetic test came back DQ5/DQ6. I have not done the intestinal biopsy because the doctor thinks it isn't Celiac (therefore my villi would not be damaged?). However, when I read the symptoms of Celiac I have so many of them. Additionally, as I have tried to figure this out, I stopped eating gluten and when I ate it again I vomited for an entire day (this happened twice).

So if I do not have Celiac then I am wondering how the consumption of gluten is making me sick. What is it doing in my body. I feel a million times better not eating it.

thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

I'm a bit confused here. I understand that Celiac is an autoimmune disease where consumption of gluten causes the body to attack itself and the villi are damaged. In the case of someone who is NOT Celiac but has sensitivities to gluten are the villi also damaged? If so, why? How are they being damaged?

In my case I have tested negative across the board on every blood test- Not Celiac. Absorption of minerals and all that: fine. My genetic test came back DQ5/DQ6. I have not done the intestinal biopsy because the doctor thinks it isn't Celiac (therefore my villi would not be damaged?). However, when I read the symptoms of Celiac I have so many of them. Additionally, as I have tried to figure this out, I stopped eating gluten and when I ate it again I vomited for an entire day (this happened twice).

So if I do not have Celiac then I am wondering how the consumption of gluten is making me sick. What is it doing in my body. I feel a million times better not eating it.

thanks.

Perhaps if you read this you *might* have a better understanding, but no guarantees. It is an area that is only now being researched. Oops, couldn't get link to work. Will work on it. :P

Okay, try this one:

Open Original Shared Link

Bear in mind, however, that there is a 20% error rate at least on both blood and biopsy testing. Also, there are additional genes being discovered all the time related to celiac disease. Nothing is perfect. You just have to go with, if gluten makes you sick, don't eat it.

Pauliewog Contributor

Thank you so much for the link. That was exactly what I was looking for!

Lori2 Contributor

Here are several other things to read.

A study was made of three groups: the first diagnosed celiac by biopsy, the second diagnosed non-celiac but whose symptoms improved on a gluten-free diet, and a control group.

Divergence of gut permeability and mucosal immune gene expression in two gluten-associated conditions: celiac disease and gluten sensitivity

Clues to Gluten Sensitivity

Lori2 Contributor

Here are some quotes from Dr. Alessio Fasano in an interview:

LW Thanks to your team

Ziva Newbie

My gene test for Celiac came back negative. How often can that test be incorrect? Can gluten intolerance also cause deficiencies in iron and vit D. or is that just linked to Celiac?

Thanks

Lori2 Contributor

I do not have either of the two main celiac genes either. I supplemented 12,000 units of vitamin D daily for three years to bring my levels up to a sufficient level.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

There are no "Celiac genes", there are only genes that are associated with celiac disease.

Lori2 Contributor

Yes, I will correct that to read: I do not possess either of the two genes that my physician says are necessary for a celiac diagnosis.

That doesn't mean that I agree with him.

Ziva Newbie

There are no "Celiac genes", there are only genes that are associated with celiac disease.

If "some" of the genes associated with Celiac are negative, what are the chances you are Celiac? I don't necessarily need a formal diagnosis of Celiac, but I need to know if this is the answer to my Anemia and Vit. D deficiency. Otherwise, I need to look at other areas. Can gluten sensitivity / intolerance cause deficiencies? My doc only ran the tTG IgA, IgA, quant, and Antigliadin ab, IgA. The Antigliadin being 13 which was high. (11-17- equivocal)All other were "normal". Early on when I posted someone said the Antigliadin was specific to Celiac, but of all the tests I have done, it is the only one high. If you are gluten intolerant rather than Celiac, could that affect this number?

Thanks

Archived