This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Eating Out? Is It Impossible?

Lanai

Lanai Newbie

:blink:

My Daughter has been Gluten free for 2 weeks now, We are eater-outers.... HELP!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

watkinson Apprentice

Hi Lanai,

Look through this site to find a book you can purchase called (I think) the Gluten free restaurant guide. They have alot of good places all over the country. Also you can look on line to see if different restaurants have a gluten free menu. One we like is outback steakhouse. They have alot of gluten-free items on the menu. PF Changs has a gluten free menu, and Pannera has many items.

Also, don't be afraid to ask at if they can accomadate you. When we go out, if I feel that there is nothing for me to eat, I will ask if their hamburger meat is 100% meat. No fillers, marinades, or spices. I'll get that with no bun and a steamed veggie (also no butter, or spices). You can also get a salad and bring your own dressing, or just get their oil and vinegar.

We had sushi the other night. We asked ahead of time what made the rice sticky? Was there any flour in it? No, just sugar and water. No spcices or marinades on any of the fish or veggies. It was all fresh. I brought my own soy sauce and had at it! It was great!! :P

Have fun, I have never yet gone hungry in any restaurant and we go out all the time.

Wendy

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

www.glutenfreerestaurants.com

www.glutenfreeinsd.com

Both have chain restaurants links to the gluten-free websites.

Hope this helps...

Lanai Newbie

Wendy,

Thank you so much for your encouragement! Our Daughter is 7 and thank GOD not a picky eater. PF changs is out favorite! I will certainly follow your advice! This message board is great!

Guest barbara3675

If you have favorite restaurants that you like to go to all the time, you should talk frankly with the owner or the chef and tell them exactly what gluten-free eating is and I would bet that they would bend over backward to accomodate you if you are a good customer of theirs. I own a small restaurant with lots of repeat customers and I sure would and actually I do. I also eat gluten-free. The problem with some celiacs is that they hide in their houses and don't get out there and live. My granddaughter has had celiac disease since she was one and she is seven now and her parents are totally vigilant about her eating habits. They eat out frequently and ask lots of questions about the food she is to get. This is just a matter of you having the backbone to stand up for your kid or yourself with the waiter/manager and the chef. Restaurants that have charcoal grills can make you a steak or burger and you can have a baked potato and salad/bring your own dressing and you are pretty much there for a meal. Restaurants WANT your business----if one doesn't make you happy try another until you find a few that will cook to your liking. Just get out there and enjoy.

Barbara

pixiegirl Enthusiast

I come from a family of eater outers.... my daughter went to her first restaurant at 4 days old, LOL. I've been gluten-free for a year now and doing well with eating out. In the past 2 weeks I've been to upstate NY and to Birmingham, Michigan and have not been glutened once, I've eaten out virtually 3 meals a day. I'm getting good at picking restaurants and good at ordering. I explain celiac as an allergy because most restaurants are pretty understanding of food allergies and try to be very helpful. I do best in upscale restaurants with a chef as opposed to a cook. And then there are a bunch of places that have gluten-free menu's, Out back, PF changs, Legal Seafoods, and a number of places that try to be gluten-free, McDonalds, etc. With a little work its very doable. I try to go to restaurants before the huge dinner rush so I have time to explain my food issues.

Susan

Archived